electrical problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by peter marshall, Jun 3, 2009.

1. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi I have a problem with my electrics, at the moment no 12v power when I put the switch to 12v position, but when I am NOT plugged in to mains supply BUT with the switch in the mains position ie not 12v I have the power I should have on12v if the switch was in that position ??? I hope I have explained the problem properly, PS I have had this problem just recently but it went ok on its own ,but now as done it again, any ideas please, Peter::

2. philw111

philw111 Funster

Hi Peter

Not sure I entirely understand what your problem is:Blush: but the following might help.

When I had a problem a couple of years ago with the 12V system not working as it should (leisure battery not charging properly, fridge not working while on move) I went to a local caravan repair shop who said it sounded like a relay problem but they were unable to cure it immediately (having checked the battery and surrounding cables) and referred me back to dealer. As this was Barrons (and I had never got any help from them previously :Angry:) I decided to try and work it out for myself.

First step, check/tighten the connections on the leisure battery...PROBLEM SOLVED:BigGrin:.

Moral of the story - try the simplest solutions. It's amazing how often they work.

Good luck.
    Phil

3. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

You say you get 12v in the mains position, are you hooked up when this happens?

4. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi no not plugged in, so i dont understand what,s going on

5. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Peter, are you talking about just your fridge, or the whole habitation area 12v supply.

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi all it was all 12v habitation battery connections where ok but the 20amp battery fuse had blown aia changed it and all seems ok now BUT I do not know what blew it so I will have to wait and see if it goes again. Many Thanks Peter.:thumb:

7. peter marshall

peter marshall

looks like the leisure batteries are not charging , all 12v works when engine running or as just been running but nothing when vans been stood for a while, both batts new last year. fuyse not blown any ideas????