Electrical problem - help!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

wardy

Free Member
Feb 1, 2010
Funster No
I have a 1994 Ford Transit Riviera (imported, left-hand drive). When I plug the mains in I get a constant ticking from the consumer unit. The red light shows the 12 volts appears to be charging but it continually flashes in time with the 'ticking'. The only thing that seems to stop the ticking is turning on the main light in living area. Beats me! :ROFLMAO:
Anyone got any ideas?

Wardy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds like our old system.. Went right through it and it was 100% perfect. It just made that noise as standard !
In the end I put a switch on the charger so we could turn it off at night when on hook up

I think quite possibly the only proper answer is to buy another complete charger unit and swap it over

It might look / sound daunting but apart from the dosh it is quite an easy job :Smile:

of course that could be utter tosh and it is simply a sticky relay but....................

BTW, if you put where you are located in your profile someone might be close enough to pop in and have a listen with you.. two heads and all that jazz ::bigsmile:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
First off - I have no real idea but here are some random thoughts:
1. As JawsMC says, it might be a relay 'cos I can't think of any other component that could make a ticking noise.
2. Most intelligent/electronic chargers are designed to take the battery up to about 80% charged and then charge more slowly until fully charged. At that point they check the voltage from time to time and top up as required. In order to do this, they need to be set for the type of battery being charged as Lead Acid (Wet) go to a lower voltage than gel batteries. If the charger is set to the wrong type, then it may be confused about what is fully charged. If you have a manual, have a look and see if there is a means of setting the battery type.
3. It could be dirt in a relay contact. My solution for that would be to strip it down and spray the contacts with switch cleaner. If that works, it might be worthwhile to clean any relay contacts you can get to.
As I said, this may all be irrelevant rubbish!:whatthe:
Patrick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back