Electrical - Lighting Autotrail

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by hashers2, Jun 17, 2014.

1. hashers2

hashers2 Read Only Funster

Help please
    I am replacing all my fluorescent lights with LED. It has been straightforward for all but one light as the original fluorescent lights were connected using spade connectors and just two wires - positive and negative. It was a simple case of connecting the LED light to the + & - and using the existing light switch.
    The problem light is a fluorescent with a built in switch (over the cooker). The light switch has been removed with the light so I therefore need to add a light switch to the circuit.
    I have replaced a single CBE modular on/off light switch with a twin to give me the extra switch. Both switches have three spade terminals on the back.
    The original fluorescent was connected by two negative wires soldered into a single spade terminal and two live wires soldered into a single spade terminal. When I connect these two spade terminals to my switch it blows the circuit fuse. It’s confusing as all my other light switches only have 3 wires, not 4.
    Any assistance would be gratefully received. I have trawled the net for a wiring diagram without success.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Two black wires go direct to the LEDs negative/black.

The red pair go to the switch. The LEDs red goes to the switch. Fiddle with the switch connection 'till it switches on/off as required.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe