Electrical equipment use in motorhome (1 Viewer)

Beverlyo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
1997 HYMER B584 2.5 TURBO
Exp
I'm new
Dear All,
We have just bought our first (second hand) motorhome. We plan to live in it for 4 months over the summer in mainland Europe. I am not sure what electrical equipment would be considered safe to plug in when attached to mains.

It we arnt plugged in then Id be too nervous in running down the battery if we plugged anything in whilst "wild camping"

I have a slow cooker which I thought I'd take as we do not not have an oven. Or I have an electric grill/stewing pan. The later is 1500 watts. The slow cooker is old and I have no idea what its watts are.

As you can tell, I am no very knowledgeable about power levels values etc. I dont want to fuse the van or the site !!

Someone mentioned an inverter and EHU in a posting. No idea what they are so going to rty looking it up now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beverly

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi Beverly

There have been numerous posts on here regarding electrics, batteries etc by people who know a LOT more about electric than me and motorhoming a lot longer as well. EHU is electric hook-up, this is the power supply you connect to on campsites and aires where available. An inverter basically converts the 12V power from your leisure battery into 240V supply like you have in your house. When on hook-up you will need to know the available amp supply as it can vary from 3-16 amps.
If you use a high-wattage electrical item it may trip the supply. Using a high-wattage item with your leisure battery could drain it very quickly. Thats the basics, I'm sure another funster will give you a more detailed explanation! Paul

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
er sorry to break it to you, but the slow cooker and anything else will only work if you plug into a 240v supply, either on a site or using a generator. running anything like that or a hairdryer on an inverter will flatten an average battery within the hour, so maybe cook part of the meal before the lights go out.
I presume that you have made arrangements for how you plan to recharge batteries whilst wild camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Treat yourself to a new slow-cooker in the sales! Ours takes a max of 90w. We use it when on electric hook up (EHU) and on the inverter when we are travelling. The slow cooker goes on a non-slip mat in a washing up bowl. The wash up bowl has it's own mat and is wedged firmly in place on the floor in a corner with the bed extension cushion (which we don't need) and a lot of other cushions. The interver has it's own shelf and can't fall.

There is also something called Mr D's termal cooker
http://mrdscookware.com/
I haven't used one but people that have them swear by them. They don't need an external power source so worth thinking about.

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Get yourself a Remoska, it's a low wattage(400 I think) work top cooking pot with the heating element in the lid. Available at all branches of Lakeland & comes with a no quibble lifetime guarantee .
Many on this forum use & enthuse about them.
For off grid(wild) camping you really need a decent solar panel & high quality leisure battery(s) (y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The majority of Europes campsites only provide 6 amps (or even 5 amps) hookup which is 1380 watts (1150 watts).

You need to fnd out what each appliances uses from the label underneath it and add all the watts together if using more than one item at once.

You need to allow a little for your battery charger as well.

If you go over the 1380 watts you will most likely trip the hookup breaker and need to have it reset.

If the hookup is 10amps that allows you 2300 watts and 16 amp is 3680 watts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
Hi Beverly we run with a 11o amp hour leisure battery which runs all our lights, and lasted a week no prob last trip, oct H/term this trip over Christmas and new year it will need to last two weeks but I have no doubts about it, that it will.
we have also invested in a handy little gadget that you fit in your van connect to your leisure battery when you press button the gauge shows what you have in battery hope this helps

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Van batteries are 12volt. Mains appliences are 240v, the can be run off the batteries and discharge them at an alarming rate via an inverter which changes 12v to 240v. If you intend to 240v items when NOT on Electric hookup (EHU) then you must have a serious means of recharging your batteries.
Main, Generator, Solar panels or whilst running the vehicle engine a B2B charger. the standard split charge relay system is not very efficient. Newbies often forget they do not have unlimited electricity it is the number one mistake people make.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beverlyo

Beverlyo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
1997 HYMER B584 2.5 TURBO
Exp
I'm new
Thnaks for all those comments.
I have to rush now, but I will read them all later and get back to you all properly.
x

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back