Electrical connection/reverse cam on Ducato

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Ridgeway, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Where do you typically pick up power for a rear cam install ? I can see 3 basic ways to install A) Permanent supply, B) Supply live with ignition on, C) as B plus connected to gearbox sensor or reverse light ?

What's the common way to do ? and If go for a 2 camera system then I assume that I would still manually switch to the long view cam during drive time (no rear view mirror) and that selecting reverse gear would override this and switch on the parking cam ?

My guess is always running and hiding the cables is the challenge here and so dry wiring is probably best before ripping the MH apart...

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

ignition only supply.

that way there is no chance of accidentally leaving the monitor turned on.

not sure about the twin camera set-up auto switching with reverse as selecting reverse would usually just turn the system on from standby.

i would have though you would have to switch camera's manually once reverse was selected

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Agree with John.. supply from ignition accessory terminal ..
    Systems I've installed had a single feed to the monitor, the camera is plugged in and fed from the monitor..
    I used an 'on all the time system' to monitor the trailer or toad.. .. so never used the reverse gear switch option..

Cable routes depend on the van... it's possible to go through a van from locker to locker and use mini trunking if you have to jump gaps between lockers.. also possible to utilise existing cable runs ... or my preferred method is along the chassis rail, fixing with strong cable ties.. or indeed a mix... as said.. much depends on the vans layout and personal preference..

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Agree
    For twin cams just feed both and use the monitor to switch the video source or for a bit more money there is a mirror monitor that can display dual pictures too

5. stagman

stagman Deleted User

[i would have though you would have to switch camera's manually once reverse was selected[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

The reverse camera should have a trigger wire from the reversing light this camera will then take over without selecting on the monitor that is if it is the same as I have seen , personally one good camera is enough as when selecting reverse one camera is switching off whilst the other is taking over meaning a couple of seconds of lost picture if that makes sense :thumb:

6. Techno

Sikaflexed (no screws) the bracket to the roof on mine to peer over the bikes, ran the cable through my solar panel jb but there is only so far you can get down a van before you have to drop to the deck and go under and up the the engine bay bulkhead
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The reverse camera should have a trigger wire from the reversing light this camera will then take over without selecting on the monitor that is if it is the same as I have seen , personally one good camera is enough as when selecting reverse one camera is switching off whilst the other is taking over meaning a couple of seconds of lost picture if that makes sense :thumb:[/QUOTE]agreed, but on my last system (twin input monitor with single camera) the trigger wire just turned on the monitor.
    if the monitor was already turned on manually, the trigger wire did nothing and i could manually switch between the feed with a camera and the feed without camera attached.
    connecting the camera to either feed did the same thing.

8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I picked up from the ignition to avoid unknowingly leaving it switched on. I have twin cameras into one monitor. I dispensed with the reverse selection as I found that until close quarters I used the rear view camera and then switched via the monitor for close up work.

It works a treat, and mounted high looking down I can put the rear bumper within 2 inches of the obstacle.

9. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

OK so ignition sourced supply is the way to go, where's the easiest place to pick that up ?

10. stagman

stagman Deleted User

if the monitor was already turned on manually, the trigger wire did nothing and i could manually switch between the feed with a camera and the feed without camera attached.
    connecting the camera to either feed did the same thing.[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

But didn't one of the trigger wires overide the other when switched i.e. the one designated for reverse .

11. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

i drive with my side lights on on picked up the feed for my cam from the number plate lights,i use my cam as a rear view mirror

• Like Like x 1
  12. Techno

13. Techno

like so
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1