Electrical advice needed please

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by oddjob, May 3, 2010.

1. oddjob

oddjob Read Only Funster

I managed to get one of those Aldi sat systems yesterday ,and after spending the best part of yesterday afternoon in the back garden trying to figure it out (tuning in )finally at 9pm last night success,going to try again later to see if it was a fluke.
    It comes supplied with a 12 volt ciggy adapter which i shall get a 12 volt plug so i can use in a socket ,
    Here's the question i only have one 12 volt socket with i use for the telly when not hooked up,is it possible for me to add another socket taking the electric supply from the existing socket so i can have them side by side and use both when not hooked up??.
    If thats about as clear as mud let me know :RollEyes:
    oddjob

2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

3. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

4. oddjob

oddjob Read Only Funster

Thanks for your speedy response ,
    i was thinking more like this ,not ciggy lighter sockets ,can i join it to the existing plug
    taking the power from the existing or is there a double socket??
    oddjob

Attached Files:

5. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

Seems to me you wont more of a permanent supply, therefore if it was me I would look for a 12 volt supply off the leisure battery rather than the cab.

Roy

6. oddjob

oddjob Read Only Funster

Exactly correct ,i already have one of these below can i link one to the other and have them side by side ,or is there such a thing as a double socket ,i have searched without luck
    oddjob

Attached Files:

7. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Plus check the size of your wireing,, dont know but might be a bit to much running two units of the wire that is there..

As said better to run separate heavier/appropriate wire from leisure battery with appropriate size inline fuse..

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi, we just wired both the tv and the sat box into the one plug ( just like yours ) but found that I could not be bothered taking about an half hour to tune it in so got rid of it :Rofl1:(people asured me you get better/faster at it :Rofl1: ) and got a 12v freeview box :thumb:We did the wiring ourself s ( well mate did it :thumb::Rofl1: ) so we knew the supply wires were heavy enough for the job :thumb:
    terry

9. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi As all my toys (phone chargers, sat receiver, computer PSU) came with a cig lighter plug I have just added a multi outlet for them as shown. This is off the leasure battery and works fine without having to break into the wiring. The multi outlet had a long wire which I shortened & fitted the 2 pin plug, do make sure the conections are the right way round (plus to the centre pin).

Mike

DSCF2858 small.jpg

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes you can link them.

You do this assuming that the feed to the existing socket is correct for the cable size.

So assume the cable is fused 10A for that single socket, you wire 10 more sockets but you still blow the fuse at 10A so the cable is safe from fire risk.

This will be fine for the low load of a sat dish. But I've no idea how much the TV draws.

11. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Flippin eck. Felt dumb before but now feel dumber.. You lot arn't half clever:cry::cry: