Electric steps.. any requirements re closing (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Got an Autotrail Dakota. Step retracts on start up. Good safety idea, but did think I would look into getting it wired to the handbrake instead.
Save falling out with engine running but going nowhere.
I like to run engine for a couple of minutes first thing while still buggering about outside.
Get a warning lamp to tell the handbrake is still on, maybe utilise that somehow.
Geoff
... if I understand you right then it would mean EVERY time you used the handbrake the step would come out????? :Eeek:

If so, that is NOT a sensible option!:eek:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
... if I understand you right then it would mean EVERY time you used the handbrake the step would come out????? :Eeek:

If so, that is NOT a sensible option!:eek:

why not have it come out with hand brake, it would be stopped after all. If like us we have an auto box we would only use hand brake when parked anyway

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
why not have it come out with hand brake, it would be stopped after all. If like us we have an auto box we would only use hand brake when parked anyway
... and if you were at, eg, a road junction and put your handbrake on you could knee-cap a cyclist at the side of you ...:rolleyes:

Sorry but even if you had an auto I still don't think doing this is sensible and I seriously doubt if you took it into a garage for an MOT that it would pass!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
@Minxy Girl
You missed my brilliance:D

At the moment If the step is deployed, on engine start it retracts. If I stop the engine the step still stays in until I press the button near the hab door.
( Or more to the point I didn't explain it very well)

Surely the handbrake warning can be utilised in the same way. Step out, retract on release.
Once retracted you will still need to press the magic button to deploy.
It would not deploy just because the handbrake was applied.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl
You missed my brilliance:D

At the moment If the step is deployed, on engine start it retracts. If I stop the engine the step still stays in until I press the button near the hab door.
( Or more to the point I didn't explain it very well)

Surely the handbrake warning can be utilised in the same way. Step out, retract on release.
Once retracted you will still need to press the magic button to deploy.
It would not deploy just because the handbrake was applied.

Geoff
Ah-ha ... now I understand! You forgot to mention your little button! :X3:

It appeared that you wanted it to activate purely from the handbrake being pull on and put off.:rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I still can see no point in automating it. A buzzer when the ignition is turned on to warn that it's out and a button within reach of the driver to retract it. I'm not in favour of automating the step because there will invariably be circumstances where said automation causes inconvenience.

And I hate using the term Ignition Switch when talking about a Diesel vehicle. Still do it though :D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back