Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all

Thanks for all the great advice/help I've received so far. New question for you technically minded people...

Electric step for m/h door. This operates from a switch near the rear door. It works whether the leisure, engine or no battery is selected from the panel above the rear door so not sure which one it draws power from? Automatically retracts if it is out and you start the engine. Problem is that several times now when the van has been out on the drive it has refused to do anything! First time I had a problem it started to open but stopped part way, eventually it did agree to return to closed position. I thought it might have something to do with the engine battery being low as I had stupidly left the headlights on for a little while (engine started no problem though so battery wasn't flat). So I connected to the mains in the garage, flicked the charger on and switched to engine battery. Step worked fine. Now its done it to me again. Tried the switch and it was dead a couple of days ago. Van hasn't been driven much since last trip couple of weeks (just short ride last Friday to the dealership to get other issues checked out!) but I do go out to it most days to check the dehumidifier etc so step is used quite a bit. So thought to myself, I can solve this by charging the battery (gauge indicated battery was about 3/4 full before charging). So couple of days later (today) I go out to check step now working and turn charger off. Nothing! Start engine...no problem. Try changing the switch on the electrical control panel to leisure battery. Nothing. Decided to give up and left leisure battery on charger, but when I went to leave and tried it just one more time it worked. Initially it stuck, then retracted ok then worked fine. So question to you is: is this likely to have any connection to battery charge....or is the step temperamental/knackered?! :Doh:

Thank you
Daisy2

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi mine gives me the same problem and i have found that my issue was the switch not working properly ( easy to replace ) others have found that the micro switch on the step has been dirty ( on step under the van ) and all it needed was a good clean.
I have bought a switch from a local dealer for under £10 and this has worked fro about 6 months and has now just started to play up again and I am now thinking that I might go to the manufacturer and get a genuine part as it may last longer.

I hope this has been helpful I know there have been other threads on this in the past

Rob

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi daisy2
I have found 2 links regarding steps

Rob

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Daisy2

We had a similar problem with ours whereby it came out partly and then stuck:Doh:
We put some WD40 on it and this seemed to do the trick, so it may have been mechanical and just needed clearing or a bit of lubrication.
Good luck:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you look underneath the step when its open and if you can see a small push post the the step will touch when it is closed, them press it a few times it will be a micro switch that is inside the plastic housing for the step.

The post sometimes gets a little stuck and stops the micro switch from closing. If this does not work then you may have a different system then mine, but the symptoms you describe are the same as I some times have and it works for me.

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hi Daisy2

We had a similar problem with ours whereby it came out partly and then stuck:Doh:
We put some WD40 on it and this seemed to do the trick, so it may have been mechanical and just needed clearing or a bit of lubrication.
Good luck:thumb:

This problem sounds more like a faulty control switch, the 2 way up/down switch, you can buy these from car shops for a next to nothing, they are used to control the windows.

I have to replace mine about every 3 years.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hi mine gives me the same problem and i have found that my issue was the switch not working properly ( easy to replace ) others have found that the micro switch on the step has been dirty ( on step under the van ) and all it needed was a good clean.
I have bought a switch from a local dealer for under £10 and this has worked fro about 6 months and has now just started to play up again and I am now thinking that I might go to the manufacturer and get a genuine part as it may last longer.

I hope this has been helpful I know there have been other threads on this in the past

Rob

I don't think it is the switch, try exercising the push post to the switch, and the switch itself can be bought for a pound or two from some one like Maplins complete with postage.

Doug...

OP
OP
D

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you so much for the suggestions. Been crazy at work this week so not been able to get out to van in daylight! Will take a look over weekend and see what I can achieve ::bigsmile:

So glad I found this site....you are all brilliant :thumb:

Daisy2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back