electric step

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by Hydecolt, May 24, 2011.

1. Hydecolt

Hydecolt Read Only Funster

we have a problem with the electric step on a Rexhall Vision,
    normally when the door is opened the step automaticaly comes out... but..
    today when the door opens the step moves a couple of inches then stops, the same happens when you wish to retract it, its as though the power is only at the motor for a second.....has anyone any suggestions,
    thanks Anna,

2. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

Im no expert but it could be seizing try a few squirts of the magic WD40 thats why i like my manual step hope this helps Gray.

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Clean and lubricate all the moving parts then pull and push step in and out to assist the motor if it wont move after that, suspect a motor fault

Bear in mind they get all the road crud thrown at them when running
    If it does free off remove most of the grease/oil you have used as this will attract more muck try to clean up well and use a dry graphite grease to finish of with on the moving bits
    Geo

4. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Hmmmm, when they're good, they're very good but when they misbehave, they're an absolute pain in the butt !:Angry: ........and both of mine were a pain from day 1:cry:

As has been said, make sure every thing is clean and lubricated cos they get filthy and gritty.

Remove the split pin and disconect the link from the motor to step and that way you can run the motor and manually slide the mechanism seperately to narrow down which is at fault.

One of the most common faults with the step is a bad earth connection which will send the control board haywire giving all sorts of different faults which seem to contradict each other wheen you read the step manual. Dont just look at the earth point, disconnect it and clean it thoroughly before reconecting.

Be very VERY carefull not to have your hands near the mechanism when running. The motor is VERY powerfull for it's size and could easily chop a finger or two off!:Eeek:

Have a look at this ..............

http://www.kwikee.com/Adocuments.html#steps

HTH

Z

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I have in the past had an auto step fail, the fault turned of to be a broken gear, giving similar symptoms, IE move a short distance and stop, both ways. Also I have had the two way switch fail and that gave similar symptoms.

Doug...

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

yes be very very careful

Just be very careful if you do test the motor with fingers.. I got my fingers trapped in a coach window wiper motor 30 years back.. it was an up and over motor and the fire service had to cut the motor out of the coach to get my hand free.. not funny.. I was lucky, just a crushed finger... but could have lost it.

I suspect it is a lot of dirt that is causing your problem as the motor sensor is designed to detect when it hits an object and will stop going about and retract.. I thin you will find it is bunged up and thinks it is an obstruction ..

For more view try posting it on the RVOC the sister site just for American RV's .. www.rvoc.co.uk it is a free site to register with.. great bunch with 100% yanks.

But worth checking the earth wire is ground and clean. I spray mine of a couple times a year with WD40. then use a slide out spray on the unit.

Bob:Eeek:

7. zaskar

zaskar Funster

:Doh: The finger is to push the on/off button, not to do a sword dance round a flailing motor arm! :Doh: :BigGrin:

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: indeed