electric step (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have a 1992 hymer and i'm finding the step just a bt too high!! Don't really want to carry an extra step round with us so was wondering about fitting an electric step? Has anyone experience of doing this or having one fitted to an older vehicle?

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Save the money on a new step and buy a cheap 12volt compressor, then you can let the air out of your tyres instead :thumb: :Eeek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't think you should have any problems getting one fitted, they have been around for years now, so you should find that fittings are available, try a dealer with a good reputation.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had a manual step.
Amazing how many times I forgot to put it in when de-camping. :Blush::Doh:

The manual step on my Karmann MH had an alarm on the dash to warn if left extended .. perhaps your's wasn't working or never fitted.. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Spireman

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Chesterfield Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have a 1992 hymer and i'm finding the step just a bt too high!! Don't really want to carry an extra step round with us so was wondering about fitting an electric step? Has anyone experience of doing this or having one fitted to an older vehicle?

We have a Hymer of similar age, and 2 or 3 years ago I went a bit further down this road, even as far as purchasing an Omnistor motorised step assembly. How difficult would this be to fit? The answer is very. If you remove the Hymer step assembly, and compare them there are very few points of similarity, mounting with sufficient support and resilience will probably require the construction and fitting of a dedicated subframe, and more importantly the complete removal of the Hymer step brackets
At this point of no return I chickened out.
I still have the original problem, but having had the operation (hip replacement) and considering one of those fold out pull yourself up handles, it is not as much of a problem as it was.
I still have the Omnistor step, in case I ever get brave.-- John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back