Electric Scooters (not Mobility scooters.) (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
We already carry a small mobility scooter for the wife, and I have been thinking of getting a electric bike. However there seams to be a lot for sale about one year old and hardly used and I ask myself why? Are people buying them and then not using them or don't like them. An alternative I saw in France was a man sized two wheel scooter electric powered which would fold down fairly compactly. Has any one got one and what do you think of them and do they get used. I have almost been put off the bikes by the amount of 2nd hand ones for sale.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I think from my experience the electric bikes your referring to are of the wheel hub verity mainly the Chinese 'Banfang', very heavy and shelf life is hit and miss, currently there's only four good electric powered motors currently worth investing in, Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano and Nexus.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
An alternative I saw in France was a man sized two wheel scooter electric powered which would fold down fairly compactly.

I suspect they are illegal to use.

The ebikes, well maybe people expected too much. 250w helps you but it's not motorbike. The battery is everything second hand, £200 or more for a new one. These days buy only with lithium batteries.

Don't be put off by the ebike snobs in here. My £270 ebay bargain has given me hundred of miles of fun, over 200 in Benidorm in Feb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I have fancied one of those two wheel electric scooters ,handy for a quick run to the shop .or is my mind going back to been a child ,If yes, it may stop me getting arrested ,but no doubt i would be taken home for a clip from my mother so would need to buy a spade at the same time .Still tempted lol.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Please show me a link to these scooters, I have a roodog leccky bike, under £800 and love it, but always tempted by something else.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume the scooters have small wheels? Whilst great on smooth surfaces, on a bumpy one they can be dangerous especially if you're going at speed as you can easily go over the handlebars. If you can get one with larger wheels then I'd use one myself, but not the smaller wheel ones.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just thought of something ... would these be legal as they are throttle powered, no pedalling ...

http://www.razor.com/uk/products/electric-scooters/e300s/

Note: Vehicle not to be used on public highways (roads/pavements), vehicle must be used on private property with owners consent,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't like the look o that
It was just an example to show the 'restriction' on use, not a recommendation to buy one.

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Thanks everyone, guess they are illegal so that means back to "shank,s pony" Will continue to drool over e bikes but with the disability trolley in the MH and the box on the cycle rack it may be a long drool.

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Hi Minxy girl, I think you can get them with large wheels. They call them Bikes.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We already carry a small mobility scooter for the wife, and I have been thinking of getting a electric bike. However there seams to be a lot for sale about one year old and hardly used and I ask myself why? Are people buying them and then not using them or don't like them. An alternative I saw in France was a man sized two wheel scooter electric powered which would fold down fairly compactly. Has any one got one and what do you think of them and do they get used. I have almost been put off the bikes by the amount of 2nd hand ones for sale.
I agree with @hilldweller .

My wife had an e-bike, @ £1000. Lasted her 5 years and then the motor died.

She now rides an e-bike, bought in France, new, @ £170.

OK, it uses lead acid battery which is heavy but, as she only uses it to ride about 8-10 miles each way it is no problem.

It has given back her mobility following a bi-lateral knee replacement (both knees now artificial).

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oddly enough I just bought this today..

Gotta collect it on the way to Peterborough tomorrow morning..
As soon as it gets home I am gonna be cutting it in half, extending it and fitting a second seat, adding new bigger batteries and changing the lights for LED ones..
Total cost will be less than what we paid for the hire of one in Benidorm for two months.. and there will be no other one like it out there !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back