Nov 17, 2013
Brigg
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,
I'm totally new to motorhoming and have come up against a problem with the electrics (or maybe it's me doing or not doing something)

Each time I come off being on an electrical hook-up I find the leisure side batteries are showing flat. I drive a few miles to recharge :helpsos:and thereafter I have no problems until I use the mains hook-up again. The switch is on "van" all the time and I'm wondering if I should switch to "car" when hooked up as I do when mobile. Maybe there is something else I'm not doing or could it be a battery problem. I have a solar panel which is in full working order. Any advice would be greatly appreciated......Hope someone can help...

Regards

Dave Brown

OP
OP
D

davidb1327

Free Member
Nov 17, 2013
Brigg
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the Welcome

Thank you for the welcome. I hope someone can help as I don't think the problem can be too involved. Still, I'll wait and see what develops....Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Hi David and welcome.

Some more details would be welcome, before the experts on here get going.

Like: what van/car switch?
What sort of van
What sort of battery charger.

More detail the better.

Peter

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
On my van the rocker switch has to be in the central "off" position when on EHU to charge the battery; in this position the power for the 12v circuit is being provided from the mains and the battery is being charged, by the transformer.

The switch in the "van" position means the internal 12v circuit is running from the leisure battery, it isn't being charged.

But every van I have seems to be wired up differently! Others haven't been like this.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
It sounds to me like the battery charger is turned off.

What year and model Roadstar is it. On the pre 2006 models there is a standalone charger which can easily be turned off.

On our 780/786 the charger was under the drivers side lounge seat and the on/off switch was easily knocked when storing items in the locker space.

Lunarman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If your solar panel is working then that should be charging your leisure battery, you say that it is but how do you know.

Mike

OP
OP
D

davidb1327

Free Member
Nov 17, 2013
Brigg
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the Info.....

Just to say thank you for the advice on what may be the problem. I will get my son-in-law (the family mechanic/handyman) to check all the points that have been mentioned and will let you all know the outcome good or bad...Thanks again....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back