electric hook-up

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by golly, Oct 8, 2009.

1. golly

golly Funster

Hi

This is my first winter of motor-homing, I keep my m/h on the drive and have an oil filled radiator set on frost protect to keep the worst of the cold out. My question is, will it cause any problems leaving the m/h on hook up for extended periods. Any advice much appreciated.

2. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Have mine on hook up all the time when parked at home,have done with them all and never had problems.
    Dave

3. david price

david price Read Only Funster

also welcome to fun :welcome:
    Dave

4. golly

golly Funster

Thanks Dave, I was worried batteries could be over-charged.

Thanks again John:thumb:

5. Hycon

Hycon Read Only Funster

It depends on what type of charger the motorhome has .Modern smart chargers will not overcharge the battries and infact can be left connected all the time and will not harm the battrey.The older type of charger can overcook the battrey and eventually damage it.I have a 14yr old Hymer and would not leave the charger on all the time.
    Sid

6. WillH

WillH Funster

Hi and welcome.

I'm like Dave above, I leave the van on hook-up all the time and in the winter use a thermostat heater. Did the same with my caravan for years. Only difference is with the van I switch from leisure battery to chassis battery once a week for 24 hours to keep everything topped up.

Rgds
    Bill

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You might also find some posts on This Thread useful.

Graham

8. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

If your MH is fitted with a fixed voltage power supply rather than a three-stage charger, then it could result in an overcharged battery. This is not necessarily a problem as you can switch the charger on for say, just one day every two weeks while making sure there are no loads on the battery to discharge it when not on charge.

One way to establish a routine is to first charge the battery fully, switch off and next morning check what the no-load battery voltage is. It should be 12.6V to perhaps 12.9V.

Check the voltage every couple of days (or less often if little change) and when the voltage drops by about 0.2 V, the charge has dropped to about 75% so it is time to switch the charger on for say 12 hours.

Only way to know for sure is to get the details of the charger and let us know here, or go to the manufacturers web site and check the specifications.

If the battery is in an external locker and subject to freezing conditions, it is important to keep it charged as a flat battery can easily freeze and be wrecked.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  9. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

Hi Golly. Ours is on hook up when ever it not in use. With no problem at all. As a suggestion We keep a dehuemidifier in it and turn it on 2 or 3 days a month over the winter. Keeps all things cumfy and snug
    Pudseykeith.
    PS Welcome to the Fun. :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. golly

golly Funster

Hi, Thanks for that, I never thought of a de humidifier, I was going to put 2 or 3 of the moisture absorber type things in but the humidifier sounds like a better idea. :thumb:

regards John