Electric Hook Up Power

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Jan Pendreigh, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jan Pendreigh

Jan Pendreigh Read Only Funster

Having used the campsite at Cottington Lakes, Deal on many occasions over the past two years with no power problems whatsoever, we were concerned on arrival on Wednesday when our power supply kept tripping out. Worried, we asked whether there were problems, and were informed that they have reduced the supply from 10amp to under 6amp!

We have motorhomed for many years and do not waste power, but now think that in addition to raising the nightly fee anyway this is a bit much.

Jan

2. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

Yes it is

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Jan

I know where your coming from but with leccy now costing 15p per kw even a frugal user can use 10 kw per day .. during the cold snap we were using 50kw .. :Eek!: so that was costing the owner £7.50 per day .. with site fees at only £8 they were in effect making a loss.
    Now they have installed pre pay meters and dropped the nighly fee by £1.. which I think is the fairest way all round..
    I can see a lot of sites either raising the pitch fee, reducing supply or going for meters..

I discussed pricing with the owner, and if the unit cost drops they will adjust the meters accordingly as it is illegal to resell at a profit..

A quick calculation:
    on your site, if you used it to the max, with a 5A ehu , = 1.15kw x 24 hrs = 27.6kw = £4.14 per day.

Jim

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Come south, come south. though I must admit its the coldest winter I have known for a long while, we have friends in Le mons and they report that they had temps down to -18', brrrrrrr.

Doug..

5. scotjimland

Hi Doug .. not so bad in Essex this week.. 15c and rising :Wink:

jim

6. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

I agree its all about providing a service, most people would find a 6A hookup inconvenient, especially in the colder weather.

If you don't keep your customers happy then you will loose them:Sad:

Regards

7. scotjimland

I agree they are a service but can't be expected to operate at a loss,.. so they either raise pitch fees or reduce power, or a combination of both, neither popular... or reduce pitch fees and invest in leccy meters and let guests pay for what they use... no one can then argue about what they are being charged, if they waste it, they pay for it..

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

I would go along with that. Reduce the site fee and put meters in. The amount of peple that you see on sites who never go out and would rather sit in and watch telly while drinking tea is amazing. We had one family next to us who had a huge flag mast fully decked out with lights that were on 24hrs per day.:Eek!:

Jim :Smile:

9. scotjimland

and in all probability have a 3kw fan heater running all day.. then leave it in the awning when they go out.. costing 45p per hr to run :RollEyes:

10. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Just out of intrest Jim where do I find out about these hook up meters?

11. olley

olley Funster

Hi can't really see the problem with a low amperages, most motorhomes/RV's can be run almost entirely from gas, you just need a bit to keep your batteries topped up, for us anything over 4amps is enough.

Olley

12. scotjimland

Hi

Argos .. details and review here

Owl Wireless Energy Monitor

13. scotjimland

That's a good point..
    since we went on metered leccy I've cut back to less than 5kw per day ..well I am a tight ass Scot ..

wear a jumper .. it's NOT cold :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Like i said you either provide a service or not, providing a less than adequate power supply in my opinion doe's not make your client group happy and at the end of the day customers will not return.

Most campsites don't open untill april and IMO the majority don't burn loads and loads of electrical units ;but there's always the odd one. Fulltimers on sites will in comparison consume a considerable number of units , because their needs are greater than a visiting camper.

If the cost of my gas or electric goes up we simply pay more /unit my supply is not reduced:Sad:

IMO the best way would be to increase or decrease the electric accordingly.

Regards

15. olley

olley Funster

Some campsites simply cannot provide high amperages, if your out in the wild's on single phase theirs no way you could pay the cost to bring in 3 phase. A guy I know was looking at opening a campsite in suffolk, it was going to cost £40,000 to bring 3 phase into the site, and he's not allowed to make a profit on the electric! crazy.

Planning booted the idea in to touch anyway. :Angry:

Olley

16. scotjimland

Fulltimers needs are greater.. in what respect .. how to you figure that out ?

I agree, pay more if you burn more..

So you are in favour of cutting the supply to prevent waste .. rather than fitting meters and charging for what is used ?

I'm confused ,

If you were a site owner and losing money, partly because the electric bill had gone through the roof, what would you do.. ?

a) Increase pitch fees
    b) Reduce supply to 6A
    c) Lower pitch fees and install meters
    d) Other ?

17. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Interesting post Jim - Our camp site electrics (6 x 16amp double hook ups) did cost alot to install, although Mark dug trenches for the cable himself to save money, we don't have any intention of going 6amp and we are keeping to 10 pound per night this year but on checking our leccy bill for 2007 the price per unit has doubled in 2009.
    Sorry but next year pitch prices may have to go up.
    Not sure about installing metres.:Confused: We can only carry on so long !

18. scotjimland

Hi Dylan

you are not alone..

I've spoken to several small site owners and they are all finding it hard to make a profit.. Our present site made a loss last year with pitch fees inc leccy at £8 ..

She has reduced the fee to £7 and put meters in .. costing about £100 each, her husband did the installing ..

She was all but ready to call it a day .. if she can't turn it around this year she may well close.. :Sad: said she could make more renting it out to horses with a lot less hassle :Doh:

19. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

I will keep fingers crossed for her and for us.

20. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

It was farly obvious i was referring to the unit cost and not a reduction of supply

from the previous sentance

If the cost of my gas or electric goes up we simply pay more /unit my supply is not reduced:Sad:

to answer the questions if i were an owner.
    a) Increase pitch fees ....................................NO electric should be a separate item
    b) Reduce supply to 6A ..................................NO providing a poor service
    c) Lower pitch fees and install meters ..............NO high cost outlay customer will pay more at the end of the day( see previous posts on this issue)
    d) Other ? .........................................................change the additional pitch cost for electric .

There may be a case for those that are long stay fulltimers on meters ;but not for the campers that come and go.

How would you react jim if your site was reduced to 6amps?

Regards