Electric heater

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jamwitt, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

Hi we going to setthorns on the 27 dec in the new forest as we will be on electric hook up want to take small electric heater,as we don't what to trip out on hook up wandered how to work out amps,the heater we might take 2000 watts :Eek!:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

2000w / 230v = 8.7 amps

a couple of 700watt oil radiators would give a better heat distribution...one at the front and one at the back

if possible stand oil rads on a tin tray in case they start to leak.
    not a common occurrence but always possible

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Jamwitt

Thanks for info papa John didn't think that would be so many amps :Smile::Smile:

4. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Take a small (750W!) panel heater or a similar sized tubular heater - they cannot leak.

5. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Used our van all last winter - 700w heater on its own wasn't enough (well insulated van).

Oil-filled 2000w was more than enough, electric blanket was great for warming up the bed ! - but not used at the same time !

6. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

We're using an 1800 watt Delonghi heater very kindly donated by Salopian on the Marjal meet. We're using it on half power; it is more than adequate for temperatures around 5-6 degrees which we have had some nights and mornings since being out in Spain. We haven't tripped any electric supplies with it including a 6 amp ACSI site and run it in conjunction with computers, fridge, etc.

At home during the winter we use one small panel radiator and it is surprising how effective that is - bearing in mind our van is quite small (4 berth) - 5.82 metres length.

7. malheg

malheg Funster

Whe use a small fan heater which we have found distributes the heat better and quicker than a static heater. We can switch between 1 & 2KW. Our van is 6.7m long and we find the 1KW setting is ample. You can purchace these for around £20
    Also the 1KW setting is OK for sites with only 6amp. As 6A x 220v = 1320w.
    Remember if on 6A only to have the heater on.
    We have limited our Kettle and Toaster to 850W so we do not overload the trip if on a site with only 6A,.

Malc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Durr !!!!!!

Since then I've been feckin freezing to death !!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  9. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Fan heaters are good for a boost, but the air soon cools. Halogens are good for keeping the heat once warm and use lower power. Quartz give far better heat for less power consumption that halogens, but the bulbs do not last too long.

Use your gas heater or a 1000w fan heater to warm the place up, and keep it there with a halogen or radiator would be my advice.

10. Terry

Terry Funster

I use a fan heater while on hook up 2,000w but only ever have it on 1,000 :thumb:I bought a small PIFCO but the temps between on and off were far too great :Sad: so bought a Lidl one that is digital and has a remote control-under £20 and turns on and off with only a couple of degrees between off and on :thumb:simply set it to 23/24 and it turns on and off when required :thumb:It may be a Delongi (cannot remember) but it is impresive on how it keeps close to the temp set :thumb:none of the boil then freeze waiting for the thermosat to kick in like on the Pifco.
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  11. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

We've got a lidl one, too.

It is a convection and fan heater (although we've found that it blows cold air if the thermostat has cut in!)

It has a choice of 1000 or 200kw and a remote control.

We also take a small oil-filled radiator to leave on at night.

12. Romatone

Romatone Read Only Funster

Hi Jamwitt . To calculate amps , divide total wattage by 240 .....2000 watts divided by 240 = 8.33 amps,. That's the way I've been told ...hope it's correct

Have a nice trip

Tony:Rofl1:

13. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I remember from my school days being taught the 'energy pyramid' in physics. I can't draw a triangle here but the basic text follows:

W
    -------
    A x V

W = Watts, A = Amps, V = Volts

Just cover the one you want with your finger and apply the maths on what's left.....you only need to know 2 out of the 3 values

i.e to check total amps on a 1000 watt heater on a 240 volt supply...........would come out as

A = W/V = 1000/4 = 4 (approx)

Dunno if this helps (makes sense in my little mind :Blush:)

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the calculation method is correct but the variables are wrong.

UK benchmark for mains voltage is now 230v...not 240v...so 8.7amps is correct

15. Jamwitt

Hi salopian you don't need it in sunny spain:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Word of advice.. Insurance..

Non OEM space heating of any kind is not generally covered by your vehicle insurance..

use by all means, but never leave unattended.. bear this in mind when choosing and using ..

17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Strictly speaking the spec is 230V +/- 6% (I think) We didn't actually change our whole generation and distribution system so we are still at 240V. It is a paper work thingy to keep the brussels mob happy:Angry:.

However using 230v in this context for calculations is safer as it gives a higher current than dividing by 240v. Supply voltage on my current hookup is showing 242v which is within the 230v +6% range.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jamwitt

Thanks jim did not give that a thought :thumb:

19. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

For those into the calculations don’t forget it’s the rated voltage that maters and that is rarely quoted. For instance a 1,000 watt heater element rated for and run on 240 volts would draw 4.166 amps. If the voltage was dropped to 230volts it would draw 3.993 amps and give 918.4 watts. The resistance of the element (57.6 ohms in this example) remains the same. The reverse would also be true, the higher the voltage the higher the current and power output, until it goes bang . Also the motor current needs adding.:RollEyes:

For the original question and those working on the KISS principal, I run a fan heater normally on 1kw but with the option of 2kw if it is very cold and the site power is up to it.
    I quite fancy one of these though http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4111012.htm but not the price.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1