Electric heater max watt?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Toffs-G, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

Having just returned from our first trip out in our new MH:thumb:

I got talking to another MH'er as we were leaving and he mentioned that they have an oil filled radiator in his MH to run when on EHU.

What is an advisable max watt or type of heater to have for this purpose, any advice welcome

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We carry a Delonghi fan heater that has two powers, 2.5A and 5A, that's 600W and 1200W so we can use it one even 3A sites. Small and lighter than an oil filled.

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

We have an oil filled heater of similar wattage to the above 2 x settings with safety cut out
    although no heating appliance should be left unattended the oil filled IMHO are by far the safest if you intend to do so, we have with ours and leave it on 24/7 through the winter,when layed up, not that it gets layed up for very long, perhaps from a safety point of view not good I know, but demonstrates our confidence in the oil fired over fan heater type :thumb:you did ask :Doh:
    Geo

4. olley

olley Funster

Hi I am with Geo on this, we have an oil filled with two settings 500w and 1000w I have also screwed an electric 300w panel radiator to the rear wall, both of which I am happy to leave on 24/7 if needed, not so with a fan heater though.

Olley

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I agree with Olley and Geo

we have two wall mounted Delonghi slim line oil filled rads with twin settings, 500 and 800 watt, which are left on 24/7 when required.

jim

6. stagman

stagman Deleted User

[We have a 600w Ceramic fan heater .The power is fixed but it has various fan speeds . great for spreading instant heat around the van . It is thermostat control with frost protection built in . Also safety cut-out switch if tipped over .:thumb: