Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We are off to France this summer to help out on a campsite and I want to take some extra cooling for cold drinks etc. has anyone any experience of the Electric powered Coolboxes, are they worthwhile, do they cool enough in hot weather. Not worried about a bit of noise as it will be outside the van.
I've been looking at a table top fridge too but most of them seem to have an ice box and are quite expensive.
I think the Coolbox is the way to go but was looking for anyone's ideas/experience.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Would not be without one, always chill things before packing but if you are going to a warm area remember that they will only cool to max 20 degrees below the ambient temperature so ideal for drinks but if its food that needs to be kept at 5 degrees then you do need a fridge. Always keep in the shade

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Bought one in France this year when fridge stopped working,12v,240v worked well 12v not as good as 240v but 35c+ lot of the time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We bought the 40L box from Halfords. Great bit of kit. Not noisy at all. Plus we use it in the van, it keeps my Gin and Tonics nice and cool whilst driving.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are 2 types of cool boxes: one that only cools to approx 20 degrees below the ambient temperature and ones that are capable of acting like a 'proper' fridge/freezer and will go low and stay low regardless of the outside temperature. The former is cheaper, the latter is a LOT more expensive!

For what you want, if you are going to be there for a while with it on constantly, I'd suggest a small table top fridge, there's a good offer on one at Curry's at the mo:

Broken Link Removed

It has a small freezer box but you might find it useful for making ice cubes!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Basically if it is thermo electric it will cool if it has a compressor it will keep things cold or even can be used as a freezer

When running on mains the power is academic, when running on 12 volt it is important.

Compressor units will run on about 3amps and thermo electric are a lot less efficient depending on make 10 - 15 amps

I have a Dometic Coolfreeze CF40 on a slide out mount in an outside locker for drinks, which will chill Stella and wine beautifully! It will freeze stuff if turned up (down lol)

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Thanks for all the above.
The fridge in MH is good & works well, was just looking for something to keep drinks cold, it will be outside, under cover, bottles take up so much space in a small fridge!
I did look at a table top fridge but decided against them, bit too expensive!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The table top one I've linked to has a £20 discount so it seems to only be £49 at the mo ... some of the cool boxes may be cheaper but they are not generally meant to be on for a long time, so if you are helping out on the site for a few months it could go 'poof' and you'll have nothing. You might also find that once you've done your stint there someone might want to buy your table top fridge off you or just sell it when you get back home. Of course you could look for a second hand one on Ebay as they can go quite cheaply on there at times.

As for the one that Eddie mentions - the Dometic Coolfreeze - it is a proper 'fridge' disguised as a cool box but far, far superior!

Reactions: f6c
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have two of the cheaper ones one is a cool-bag on a wheeled frame (£25 clearance) one a proper box actually had them for YEARS neither of them run on 240v so a quick alteration of a 240v-12v power supply to fit a car plug in and no problem
yes they don't cool too low but on a 40° hot day in benidorm 20° cooler than ambient is fine for a cold drink

AND
one can be used to keep bait fresh when SWMBO won't allow asticots in the fridge

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
If it is France then a filled child"s swimming pool in the shade (under the van) will keep drinks cool enough to drink.

Amazon product ASIN B00WYY3W3C
pool - 1 (1).png

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I always worry about the amount of current they use.. even a 3 amp jobby will kill a 110aH battery in day in hot weather ( bring the battery lower than a 50% charge )

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Thank you Minxy Girl, I used the code and got the fridge for £49.99!
Cheaper than a cool box and probably more useful!
I hadn't thought about the cool box being on constantly for 3 months!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thank you Minxy Girl, I used the code and got the fridge for £49.99!
Cheaper than a cool box and probably more useful!
I hadn't thought about the cool box being on constantly for 3 months!
Who's a good funster then! Go to the top of the class! :xThumb:

It could also prove useful over Christmas/New Year too to put in all the extra bits and bobs you buy!!! :xgrin:

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I used a cheapo Halfords thermoelectric one this summer, in Germany / Switzerland / France, off hookup - a little ambitious I know!

It made the drinks much more pleasant but definitely not as cold as the fridge, or as cold as I would like. 100w solar panel, 2 x 100AH batteries, bright summer sun - OK for about 3-4 days use but no more.

May well treat myself to a "proper" compressor one at some point, but they are a bit pricey. One will just fit nicely between our cab seats though, and fridge space is always at a premium with 5 of us to cater for, even with a decent size (by MH standards) fridge/freezer.......

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Bought one from Lidl 2 years ago for £35. It's brilliant and still going strong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back