electric bikes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dennismartin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. dennismartin

dennismartin Read Only Funster

thinking about getting 2 electric bikes but don't know much about them. will i get decent ones for about £700 each and what can i realistically expect from them (mileage) is there any does and don'ts ?

thanks

2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Most Funsters recommend AS Bikes, Peter is the name and he's at most of the shows and by all accounts is extremely good to deal with. :Smile:

3. GIBLA53

GIBLA53 Read Only Funster

Hi I have had electric bikes for about 4 years now and like most things in life you get what you pay for . £700 will buy new( its a risk to buy 2nd hand) bikes from such people as AS from near Coventry or Woosh from Southend - mailorder is possible .
    Advice from me is try as many before you buy , visit dealers, shows, join pedelec forum , its quite an expensive purchase AND if you get it wrong you compound the error. After much research and testing my latest e-bike cost £2000 but is a superb Bosch powered crank drive semi-folding bike. There are huge numbers of choices .........

Alan

ps look through previous threads on this subject also ( use "search")

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We bought ours from AS Bikes and have been very pleased.

They also give a brilliant after sales service.:thumb:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We have now got five of Peters ( AS Bikes ) bikes in the family... all have done sterling service and our bums always give out LONG before the batteries do !

• Like Like x 1
  6. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We have Giant bikes-Pedal assist, full size,costing around £1,000 each-we love 'em.

Mike.

7. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

We do, but they are quite heavy (weight consideration) and physically getting them on the bike rack is a bit of a struggle but against that, as a once nervous bike rider, I feel secure and confident on my electric bike as it is sturdy and very stable. It is a really pleasurable ride.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Brilliant, get on with it, you'll not regret it.

Unless you end up in a Spanish hospital like my wife.

9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We also have full size bikes like Carolyn & Mikes, ours are Shwinn but be the Giant Shwinn etc assist they are just like a normal full size bike but with assist so I find it much more comfortable for going any distance 20/30 mile or more in a day, very comfortable and the battery will do 40 odd mile on a charge. the batterys these days are very light and the bikes aluminum so not to heavy.

Eddie can lift then on and off the bike rack on his own with out much trouble and a lot easier if I help.

I would check out the Giant assist bikes just to see the difference between them and the folding bikes, although the cost will be £1000 upwards, but to us worth the difference.
    Have to say I have only ever heard good reports about Peter's folding bikes.

10. busby

busby Funster

Buy a couple of quality road bikes, they get easier every day and the exercise will do you no end of good. BUSBY.

11. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I feel a bit thick asking this question but I'll ask it anyway. How easy is it to charge these bikes when you are in a campervan?

12. dennismartin

dennismartin Read Only Funster

i think youl find you are going to need electricity from somewere

13. pollensabob

pollensabob Funster

I converted two road bikes 3 years ago using Alien conversion kits. Been brilliant done many miles used all the time local shopping and on holiday. As for charging I connect them to motorhome 230v power supply.

Bob:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We have 2 AS folding bikes, and checked the weight for the bike rack and they are well within the range not too heavy but whilst at MARQUIS last week while they were working inside the van with the bikes on the rack they noticed the back wall straining so advised us to leave them off the rack for a while to let the wall come back into shape, breathe back in out if you get my meaning?:Laughing:
    Anyway as we also have a car we now keep them in the back of that and we were worried about the distortion of the back wall.
    Just an observation !
    W do take the batteries out and carry them in the van.
    They weigh 22 kilos each and the rack should take 60 kilos.
    Ps. Mike at AS bikes is a lovely person, very helpful and they have wonderful after sales, they even sent us free of charge a replacement stand to France that i had broken leaning it against a tree. Great bikes by the way.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Has Peter taken someone on to help him at last Trish or Tez ?

Charging
    The battery(s) simply pop in and out ( they have an 'ignition key' that not only turns the bike on but if turned the other way releases the latching pin which allows the battery to simply slide out )

So with the battery out, plug it in to the supplied charger which in turn is plugged in to a mains outlet socket in the van.. ORRRRRRR

As we do when travelling and off hook up, use a small ( 300w ) inverter to charge from

We have never ever managed to flatten a battery even after a 20 mile round trip, so have no idea how long a battery would take from completely flat to fully charged, but the longest a charge has ever taken is 3 hours give or take.
    Usually, top up charges are less than an hour.

The batteries are of the type that do not get a 'memory', so no need to worry about charging from part discharged.. ( I am speaking about the bikes available from AS Bikes )

All in all, very easy to use and keep in good order.

16. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Thanks for the tip Bob.. that looks like an excellent bit of kit.. well worth considering if you already own good quality bikes.. :thumb:

http://www.alienbikes.co.uk/page16.htm

18. busby

busby Funster

Best way to recharge mine is to stop at a bar preferably overlooking The Med and pour two or three pints of cold beer down my throat. That usually sets me up for another fifteen to twenty miles depending on the hills. BUSBY.

19. Terry

Terry Funster

:Eeek:wall straining, come back into shape :Eeek::cry: why would you think if something has strained it's going to come back ?:Eeek:Your van wall's are not made of elastic :Doh: You need to consult the supplying dealer/fitter :thumb:
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member