Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When my bus is sold contemplating buying one as most will know i am not fit.

Feel a total plonk on my mobility scooter as i can walk a little way but give me grief after and my feet are at danger.

Anyway been looking at bikes on the net and seeing Funsters regularly buying them now.

What worries me is replacement batteries as they seem to be the most expensive part of the bike and will need replacing. I am now on fixed income so this worries me.

Views anyone?

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I bought a Wisper because of the 54mile range on 1 charge and also the no quibble warranty which includes the battery fior 2 years.
Pedelec forums is the best place for all things electric bike.

peterfowden

Free Member
Jul 5, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I bought a Wisper because of the 54mile range on 1 charge and also the no quibble warranty which includes the battery fior 2 years.
Pedelec forums is the best place for all things electric bike.

We have 2 Powerbykes a folding shopper and a trike.
You can open the battery packs up to replace the individual lead acid 12v batteries at very reasonable prices well under £100 for a complete replacement.
The spares are readily available aswell they may not be cutting edge technology but we have found them to be reliable and well priced.
They will go for 20miles plus on a charge and further if you can pedal on start up and hills.
Good kuck with your search

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
There is a bike shop in llanelli that has been selling electric bikes for a few years now.

http://www.raywilliamsmotorcycles.co.uk/

They were at the Carmarthen show last year.

OK does not answer your question, but some where fairly close where you can get answers face to face.

Ask for Matthew and tell him Nick with he goldwing mentioned him.

Its a back street set up but I have been using them for almost 35 years.

Nick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought electric bikes from AS Bikes at the Northern Show at Knutsford last year. Before we did so Jill had done a fair bit of research on-line and we looked several times at the stands of the various suppliers at the show, comparing build quality, price and customer service.

As a satisfied customer I wouldn't hesitate to recommend AS Bikes.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We bought electric bikes from AS Bikes at the Northern Show at Knutsford last year. Before we did so Jill had done a fair bit of research on-line and we looked several times at the stands of the various suppliers at the show, comparing build quality, price and customer service.

As a satisfied customer I wouldn't hesitate to recommend AS Bikes.

I bought 2 from AS as well, fabulous bits of kit, I can fold them and fit them inside the back of my Autoquest 120, I have a mobility disability and these bikes have opened up a new life for me and my wife, we can get out together and explore places near to home we've never seen before. My next door neighbour tried mine and was impressed, as mine are 24v models I suggested he get a 36v one (£100 more) he's 6' 4" and 17 stone, he did this and is very pleased with the performance. :thumb::thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have bought 2 of the powabykes in the last week.
They are old technology but that suits me. The batteries are heavy but can be replaced for £55 as opposed to £200 on some on the more modern types. The battery can easily be removed and put into a locker and the bikes don't weigh more than a normal pushbike so can easily be lifted onto the bike carrier on the back of the bus.
I chose the powabyke because its relatively cheap to buy and there are loads of agents up and down the country and also because they have been going the longest,so less chance of them packing up with no spares availability.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Never run it out yet,but I stick to 35miles ish. Not bad in itself.

Not bad ? I'd say very impressive. What is the battery spec ?

I can flatten mine in 1 mile - that's the trouble with being a hilldweller.

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Battery specifications
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Cell Type Advanced Environmental Lithium Polymer with BMS [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Capacity 8Ah or 14Ah [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Rated voltage 37V [/FONT]
[/FONT]Main Controller specifications
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Low voltage safeguard 31.5V [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Overload current safeguard 14A [/FONT]
[/FONT]Main hub motor specifications
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Motor type Hi speed brushless [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Rated power Aus 200W / NZ Europe 250W / USA Canada 350W [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Rated voltage 36V [/FONT]
[/FONT]Charger [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Lithium 115 to 230V 36V fan cooled [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Mine is the 14A[/FONT]
http://www.wisperbikes.com

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have 2 bikes from as bikes and recommend them thoroughly , even posted some spares out to France while we were there, I broke the stand and never charged us for them.
the batteries he said he would sell them cheaper to his customers when they needed them but you can have them re-celled for around half the cost of new batteries.

We can go for around 25 miles on a charge but need electric or an inverter so we dont camp where we cannot get eHU.

They fold and they are the 250 watt motor so could fit them in the motorhome but they fit nicely on the rear cycle rack where they are claimed to be weather resistant anyway, and he threw in 2 bags to keep them in so could catch the bus back from wherever we are if we wanted if the batteries ran out, except that we never carry the bike bags with us on a cycle ride, they get us many more places than we could ever walk to, Tez has a bad back and cant walk far, especially on hills.

They have certainly opened up a lot of avenues to us, pun intended!!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Battery specifications......... [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT]

250W 36V = 7A so maybe 2 hours drive from that battery. Proper job.

250W is ambiguous, don't know if that's watts IN or watts OUT. If it's watts IN a modern brushless motor will produce double what on old one would.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back