Electric bikes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by rickyd, Mar 19, 2011.

1. rickyd

rickyd Read Only Funster

We are thinking of buying 2 electric bikes. We have been considering getting 2 Batribike Quartz bikes costing around £800 each! Has anyone bought these before and can let us know what they thought of them? Also, can anyone recommend other bikes at a similar price. My wife is ony 5ft so size does matter!!

2. J H

J H Funster

We have these
    - I'm no lightweight :Blush: but they work well :BigGrin:

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I would go to my local electric bike shop and try out the assist bikes they have to get a feel for size etc Giant and Raleigh both do good assist bikes, or if you are going to one of the Motorhome shows you will get the wide range of Electric and assist bikes at these. Don't forget a full electric bike will weigh a lot more that a assist bike, which is better for cycle paths etc.

4. tiggs

tiggs Read Only Funster

Hi we have been in spain for 4 months now and have been looking at bikes and come up with the most popular powacycle winsor (think thats how its spelt) anyway was told to go to e-bikes direct have spoken to a few people and tried 2 one from halfords urban and i am 5-4 but this was way too big then tried the winsor and it was great it has step through so easy to get on and off and a twist grip that i found better than the push button that frightened me as it shot off and i felt out of control but every other person over here has one but by far the most popular for women is the winsor and the salisbury for men both by powacycle hope this helps
    :BigGrin:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

There is a chap called Peter who does all the meets and rallies.. ( His daughter often has a hat stall ! :) )

We have now had 6 bikes from him.. Top banana chap.. Bikes are chinky origins ( about £450 to £650 ) but the rare issue we have had has been sorted out at no cost and very very quickly ( when we had our saddles nicked in Spain in January he sorted it out with one fone call and they were at home when we got back..
    I knocked my bike over and broke the switch gear.. A free one was in the post the next day !

6. J H

J H Funster

Yes - that's the chap we bought ours from, brilliant service.:BigGrin:

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you are going to Newark or Peterborough we will have ours on board and you can both give them a try :thumb:

Peters phone number is 02476 303228 ,, He trades his bikes as A.S. Bikes and he is based in Ryton on Dunsmore, near Coventry

8. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

and if you pop in to Makro next week the salisburys are £299:BigGrin:

9. pstockhi

pstockhi Read Only Funster

Plus vat but that still very cheap ?

Peter:thumb:

10. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

YES :) These are the ones we bought.

Reading other letters I think we are all bery happy with Peter from AS Bikes. He builds these himself on his farm, I think.

I am only 4ft 11 and 'fell off' my mountain bike. Tried a Giant Hybrid with very low walk through. I havent the strength or stamina for manual bikes. BUT I love my powered bike.

Took them to Europe after we bought in 2008. It was great leaving the 'van in the Aires and exploring the cemeteries on bike. Rimy Ridge bank, up to the memorial ... no bother.

Go ahead. You wont regret the purchase.

11. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Agree with the posts about As bikes, we have two and I am only 5.3 and you can raise the seat.
    The accelerater went on one of our bikes and peter sent it out next day and as were too far away by then he explained how to fix it on, even though we could have sent them back for him to do it would have cost us £15 to ship it to him.
    They do around 25 miles on one charge and they sail up hills and as peter says they are like pedalling fresh air when going up hills.
    I like to pedal for the excersise but the motor goes very fast so cant keep up with the pedalling!! but do pedal when going up hill as there is more resistance there
    A timely reminder about locking our saddles on thanks as they are quick release so need to lock them on.

12. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Read Only Funster

AS Bikes - Peter

Can't praise this man highly enough. He says he doesn't have to advertise as the bikes go everywhere! We have taken ours to Spain for the last 4 years and wouldn't be without them - they are a Godsend for the shopping as we have two panniers on one bike and a front basket on the other. No problem. I do get easily puffed when walking after a recent heart attack so I wouldn't go anywhere without mine.

By the way I am only 5foot 2inches (well I was when last measured!!) and I have no problem with the frame size at all when everything is put at its lowest level.

Cheaper than most of the other power assist bikes but certainly not compromised on quality.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

13. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

+vat = £358.80

14. Gooney

Gooney Funster

At the CC site in Warwick last July and found I was only 10 miles away from AS Bikes, I gave them a ring and was invited over the next day to try them out, absolutely brilliant, bought 2 and folded they fit inside my Autoquest. I am disabled and now find I can get out and about with my wife and have seen scenery around my own location that I have not been able to access before. :thumb::thumb:

15. dshague

dshague Funster

16. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

its in the makromail but does say that offer not available at Bristol, Teeside and Queensferry. page 19 in the booklet