Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
This might be a silly question but why is there not a system like my lights dynamo to recharge battery as you cycle along or would it just increase the cost to much

Neil

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
This might be a silly question but why is there not a system like my lights dynamo to recharge battery as you cycle along or would it just increase the cost to much

Neil
If you pay a fortune then regenerative braking is available on very high end models. I think the jury is out as to whether there is any great benefit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It would use more energy from the battery to operate the dynamo than the dynamo could replace. Otherwise we'd have free electricity everywhere.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Not a silly question. But I don't know the answer.
Do you normally recharge the batteries from the 12volt system whilst driving?
Is it possible to recharge them from solar panel,when stationary?
Not knicking the OP question,just curious!

OP
OP
nelly

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I have recharged them with an inverter and solar but only a couple of times it was good as well as when travelling with an inverter

Neil

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just a thought bu the dynamo on a bike is running two bulbs of very low wattage, I think it might need a lot more power to recharge a battery but I like the idea. F1 are using it right now but have thrown millions at it to try to make it work, Honda are failing miserably I'm sorry to say.

OP
OP
nelly

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I was thinking more of a top up to make it last longer as you go along not to totally recharge it i.e. start with a full charge

Neil

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The simple way of putting it is you don't get energy for nothing.

Or you get out what you put in sort of thing.
So the energy cancels itself out.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Only regenerative braking would make sense. Otherwise, your legs will be putting in power to the batteries as well as the wheels, so harder work, AND, the process of converting leg energy to battery energy is not efficient, so even more work required. As far as I'm aware, there are no "bolt-on" regenerative systems available (if there are, I would love to hear about them :) )

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The simple way of putting it is you don't get energy for nothing.

Or you get out what you put in sort of thing.
So the energy cancels itself out.

Yep, you can't change the laws of physics.

I read somewhere that the regenerative braking on a ebike can extend your range by about 5%

I guess that means you only have to ride 100 miles downhill to gain 5 miles :D

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Mine does tens of thousands on a full charge

But it uses a hell of a lot of petrol. :LOL:

No honest, really, look?
FULLY INTEGRATED Positioning the battery behind the seat tube is a tradition at Kalkhoff because it gives the bike a better centre of gravity, and thus offers a considerable advantage in terms of riding stability. What’s new, on the other hand, is the elegant look achieved by its perfect integration into the frame construction. This is achieved by our consistent implementation of the concept of component integration. And along the way, we have also optimised the handling of this long-distance power supply.
Impulse Evo battery uses incredible battery technology. With 50 high-performance cells and a capacity of 17 Ah, under ideal conditions power reserves give a range of up to 125 miles (200 km).
This new battery generation also offers durability, easy handling and rapid recharging. Cleverly, the dual-function charging socket also serves as a service interface through which software updates can be applied to your bike. Moving the battery lock to the top makes unlocking and removing the battery considerably easier.(y):)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Only regenerative braking would make sense. Otherwise, your legs will be putting in power to the batteries as well as the wheels, so harder work, AND, the process of converting leg energy to battery energy is not efficient, so even more work required. As far as I'm aware, there are no "bolt-on" regenerative systems available (if there are, I would love to hear about them :) )

Bionx do conversion systems that have regen braking. http://ridebionx.com/products/ebike/ebike-systems/

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You could fit a sail and have a pedal free bike, or a solar panel as well to charge up the batteries:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
125 miles? That must include a lot of pedal power!
Khalkoff's figures not mine, With 50 high-performance cells and a capacity of 17 Ah, under ideal conditions power reserves give a range of up to 125 miles (200 km).

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just bought a Kalkhoff bike and when first used you have to fully charge the battery then keep riding the bike until the battery is fully discharged. This is to allow the charge indicator to calibrate apparently.
As we were going away in a few days I wanted to run the battery flat and recharge it before we left.
I rode uphill and down dale to try and discharge it but it just kept going, even with me using the highest power settings to use up the 'juice'.
Eventually it stopped driving the motor after 52 miles. It now shows a range of well over 100 miles on 'eco' setting, even though I have been on a couple of short rides.

Richard.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
My wife has a Kalkhoff that does 50-60 miles with mixed power usage. The big numbers the manufactures state is using eco only.

In reality the max range depends on level of fitness and the terrain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back