Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
You haven't seen me then!

Some of us have reasons why we need help, severe back issues with me have hindered my exercise for years.
In my opninion its better to be out cycling and enjoying an ebike than sitting on a chair because I can't manage hills on my normal bike.

I also bought my ebike on the cycle to work scheme - and have actually cycled to work - something I would never have been able to do with a normal bike.

Sometime people forget we are all different and can't all be super fit, at least we are trying.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You haven't seen me then!

Some of us have reasons why we need help, severe back issues with me have hindered my exercise for years.
In my opninion its better to be out cycling and enjoying an ebike than sitting on a chair because I can't manage hills on my normal bike.

I could not walk 22 years ago,,,got better by exercise,,,very very difficult first few years...BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You really dont get it do you!lol

It costs nothing to test ride.. Are you scared you might like it and have to spend money?:LOL:

I must be weird but actually enjoy exercise,,,,without it my rhumatoid would take over again and i do not want to be back on sticks. everyone to there own form of transport,,whatever suits you. Nowt to do with money,,i know you canbuy a push bike for £80 but paid nearly a grand for our two.. BUSBY:):):)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have got much fitter since getting my ebike. I wouldn't use my regular bike when out with hubby as he is cycling mad (mountain biking mostly) and I just couldn't keep up which frustrated us both.
With the ebike we can go at the same pace and longer distances and I actually enjoy riding so I do a lot more.
Next weekend we go to the Peak district in the MH to do some cycling and then bank holiday to the Kielder Dam for some more.
Plus for those who haven't tried one - its not like a moped - you actually have to pedal - the battery assistance just helps on the lumps and bumps!

Jen

You bet they are not like a moped ! I still get out of breath when cycling uphill on my e bike but the hills here in North Yorkshire are something else and I would not have dreamed of trying to cycle up them before . We have the Peak district on a shortlist for our September cycling trip so any feedback would be much appreciated. When we were on the CC campsite by Kielder water a few years
ago we had to leave because of the midges which were horrendous . Call your campsite and ask if they are still a problem .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I must be weird but actually enjoy exercise,,,,without it my rhumatoid would take over again and i do not want to be back on sticks. everyone to there own form of transport,,whatever suits you. Nowt to do with money,,i know you canbuy a push bike for £80 but paid nearly a grand for our two.. BUSBY:):):)

The only way you will ever know what its about is to try a decent centre drive bike......end off

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The only way you will ever know what its about is to try a decent centre drive bike......end off
What's so special about these centre drive bikes , what do they do that others don't , I can't see how anything could do any better than the ones we have , apart from a throttle , that are not allowed in France anyway, not meaning anything to do with reliability because that's a wait and see for us I'm afraid, but upto now fingers crossed no probs

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
An electric motor has an effective rpm range where it will be most efficient. Say for example the range goes from 0 to 1000 rpm but it's at its most effective at 750 rpm, if you have a motor mounted within the wheel like lots of the Chinese bikes, you will only ever hit the motor's "sweet spot" at one particular road speed, all well and good if that coincides with your favoured peddling speed, if not, you loose efficiency and ultimately range.
A crank mounted motor will have a similar "sweet spot" but you will be able to select that spot in every gear, just like in your car, improving efficiency and range (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
An electric motor has an effective rpm range where it will be most efficient. Say for example the range goes from 0 to 1000 rpm but it's at its most effective at 750 rpm, if you have a motor mounted within the wheel like lots of the Chinese bikes, you will only ever hit the motor's "sweet spot" at one particular road speed, all well and good if that coincides with your favoured peddling speed, if not, you loose efficiency and ultimately range.
A crank mounted motor will have a similar "sweet spot" but you will be able to select that spot in every gear, just like in your car, improving efficiency and range (y)

And there's your answer Chaser.:) centre drive bikes drive through the gears so hill climbing in a different league....its far more like cycling then these cheap twist and go bikes....

Don't cost anything to try one...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And there's your answer Chaser.:) centre drive bikes drive through the gears so hill climbing in a different league....its far more like cycling then these cheap twist and go bikes....

Don't cost anything to try one...
With ours , it doesn't matter a great deal what gear you are in , as long as the pedals are turning the motor is working, you don't have to actually press on the pedals, and there is three gears in the motor, so if you are on the flat just the lower setting is enough or even switch it off but on hills select 2 or 3 and it pulls you up helping with the pedals if you want to.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Been e-biking for 6 years or so now. Bosch is the way to go for me - still 'proper cycling that requires you to use your legs, but really useful and almost seamless assistance when you need it. I've been towing 60+ kilos of dog and trailer with my Haibike off road in Croatia on steep hills and it works.

Fantastic things ☺☺☺

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looking forward to getting a couple when we are old enough...BUSBY:D:D
That was my opinion until I tried a few, then couldn't wait to get some. So at a young 65 we have a couple of decent quality e-bikes with Bosch crank drives.
Get just as much exercise with them as we go further up steeper hills and a lot faster than we would on standard bikes, biggest problem we find is we can't pace ourselves on them just tend to go flat out all the time, which in turn means we are using far more battery power, yet to achieve anything like the 100 miles that should be possible.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Spend most of the time riding round on ECO so the wife can keep up since she insisted that she would not ride the Haibike anymore:( ( she has become a cycling nut)

Haibike now sold on ebay for as much as I paid for it in Germany 18 months ago...

We have not discussed what really makes the Bosch system special...the sensors... The torque sensor in particular

http://www.bosch-ebike.de/en/products/drive_unit/drive_unit.html

rileyone

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 462
Exp
Hi everyone
We are thinking of buying some electric bikes to get about while on sites, if any of you have them have you had any problems when out and about with them? Although we will buy locks for them I am concerned that they may get stolen? I would love to hear everyone's experiences.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I just got monthly e mail from 50cycles where I bought my Kalkhof bike . They have had a shipment of from Germany robbed in east Anglia ....out of 55 they had 23 ebikes stolen . So if you see any on ebay or in a carboot at a good price they might have been stolen .

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We pick our e bikes up on Thursday tried a few the one i really wanted was crap to ride ended up with a Bosch powered bike

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
A great read here, we are looking at selling the 125cc scooter and going "pedal" power. I will do some more research and go for the Bosch system.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A great read here, we are looking at selling the 125cc scooter and going "pedal" power. I will do some more research and go for the Bosch system.

The thing is..if you have the bike, the rack or garage, plus capacity to carry the scooter. You are going to find it expensive to change to two bosch powered bikes....just a thought!:)

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
What advantages does the Bosch system have over my Panasonic 48v hub motor ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Smoother better power delivery, more advanced battery technology, Bosch battery about 1.5kg lighter and much smaller.
Go and have a test ride, we are new to e-bikes, but tried bikes with Panasonic, Yamaha, Shimano & Bosch drives, the Bosch drives gave the smoothest power delivery, and a much nicer ride.
It was the Panasonic crank drive we tried. Hub drives are the least efficient form of drive and even the best will struggle on steep hills, front drive hubs are very unpleasant to ride.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Is that the orange drive as on KTM bikes? Has a reputation for cutting out hill climbing as it overheats. Does not drive through the gears so less efficient. Its easier to try one and find out for yourself to nd honest......the panasonic maybe more impressive on the flat though.. (I haven't tried one)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Very interesting, was having a long chat with Carols Eddy about e bikes at Malvern, so are large wheeled, crank driven, Bosch powered bikes the best....... Discuss please, and if so or not, which is the best electric bike for a fairly large ex smoker bloke who doesn't have the puff he once did, and what's the best way of allowing your dog to enjoy it too! Hope I haven't high jacked this thread but really wanted to buy a couple at Malvern, but didn't have a clue what to get, ooh and are twist and go better or not? Cheers boys and girls

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back