Free Member
Jul 12, 2015
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi everyone
We are thinking of buying some electric bikes to get about while on sites, if any of you have them have you had any problems when out and about with them? Although we will buy locks for them I am concerned that they may get stolen? I would love to hear everyone's experiences.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We just use the same security measures as you would for a non electric bike .
The choice of bikes is massive , happy hunting !
The electric bikes have transformed the way my wife and I motorhome , all for the better !

OP
OP
Ken&Carol

Ken&Carol

Free Member
Jul 12, 2015
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We just use the same security measures as you would for a non electric bike .
The choice of bikes is massive , happy hunting !
The electric bikes have transformed the way my wife and I motorhome , all for the better !
Thankyou for that, just bought the MH last month, not had one before so everything is new to us. Been out a couple of times, we are off to Wales in a couple of weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have had electric bikes for ten years we just take the best security precautions we can then get on with our day leavening the bikes . No point in worrying about them when you are out and about. But they are well worth having for getting about and lots of pleasure the places we have been on them it is well worth it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We just changed to e-bikes a couple of months ago, we make sure we lock them up in a public place when leaving them, wouldn't leave them in a big town.
You can get a couple of googd secure locks for less than 200 quid, the good locks tend to be heavy. If using a chain make sure it can not touch the ground this prdvents anyone with bolt cutters gdtting any leverage if they try to cut the chain.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Like many on this forum we bought our bikes from ASF who are based near Coventry. They attend lots of shows - we bought ours at the NEC a couple of years ago. Very friendly and helpful people.

We insure our bikes with ETA. They were happy that we stored them in the motorhome's garage (they are folders). However they require locks to be fitted to a specified standard when outside of the motorhome. From memory we bought our locks from Amazon.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
When on site I obviously secure my bike with appropriate locks. I do however make it less desirable for a thief by making sure that neither the battery or the seat are on the bike.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I lock my ebikes with two high quality d locks and have purchased a long security cable that I thread through the seats and front wheels and hook it into the d locks for extra security to deter thieves pinching my seats also my house insurance covers my bikes.Ebikes are a great way of getting around happy cycling.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Having just cycled over 1000km in Germany and France on my brand new Kalkoff E bike I can testify that it is absolutely fabulous ! I still get exercise and can choose the level of assistance or indeed turn it off since the bike works fine without . It is great to zoom up hills and wait for husband to catch up on his non assisted bike . For security we have a serious heavy lock which was recommended by our insurance and in the van the bike is in the Garage . This bike has totally changed my cycling experience .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Having just cycled over 1000km in Germany and France on my brand new Kalkoff E bike I can testify that it is absolutely fabulous ! I still get exercise and can choose the level of assistance or indeed turn it off since the bike works fine without . It is great to zoom up hills and wait for husband to catch up on his non assisted bike . For security we have a serious heavy lock which was recommended by our insurance and in the van the bike is in the Garage . This bike has totally changed my cycling experience .

Good e bikes do...love our Bosch powered ebikes.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We bought two 20 inch folding ebikes recently. We are upgrading our MH to be able to accomodate them under the French bed instead of on a bike rack. Covered on our household insurance but they must be secured to "an imovable object". Fortunately they consider a MH falling into this category. We use a substantial D lock and also a thick chain. They are heavy but they fit on the panier rack ok. As others have said it opens up the places we can explore as our kness aren't what they used to be. And we can have as much assistance as we feel necessary and also get some exercise. I used to arrive at a destination all worn out with my street bike but now I can enjoy the place we have arrived at without having to rest for ten minutes first!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Pointless getting ebikes that can't climb hills with ease....you will be surprised at so many that are hopeless and end up in garages unused,........ Try before you buy!

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Just got mine, always thought they were for wusses and posers. Could not have been more wrong. Hubby can ride a bike anywhere. I used to ask how far, how many hills, then refuse to go along. This bike has changed all of that I love it. I know it will make our travels so much easier and enjoyable. Listened to views on here and got the Bosch drive, Well impressed. I think I will get even more exercise now because I know the hills are no problem.
P.s he's thinking of getting one as well!

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I have an ebike. The one tip I would say for security is to store the battery separately from the bike - not worth stealing without the battery as that would be a very heavy bike!
So I keep the bike in the MH garage and the battery in the cab under the seat.

Jen

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi we had two fold up and now have full size electrics (Freego Regency Dutch Style and a whoosh mountain bike) the freego has a fitted wheel lock built into frame goes through wheel we also use a steel cable lock,always lock them together try to make sure they are in view ( at sheringham use tesco store bike racks) always lock the battery onto the bike.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
As said store battery separately as well as anything else easily removed! As an eBike without display, battery, seat and charger not that attractive to thieves unless it has quality components...

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Just noticed your location , I use Valley Scooters in Bolton for all my E Bike needs and btw went there today and they have the new Wisper range in stock , go have a look , they are stunning !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pointless getting ebikes that can't climb hills with ease....you will be surprised at so many that are hopeless and end up in garages unused,........ Try before you buy!
Never been into riding bikes for 50 years , still think they shouldn't be on the same roads as other vehicles, but must say we are blown away with these wayscral bikes we bought from norauto, I have done over 40 miles on mine now in a month , that's more than I have done in fifty years , ever since I got a motor bike never touched another push bike , and have found you don't actually have to pedal them , as long as you are slowly turning the pedals the motor keeps working so you can go uphill without any actual pressure on the pedals at all(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
[QUOTE="chaser, post: 1506591, member: 2471] I have done over 40 miles on mine now
[/QUOTE]only had one ride then.::bigsmile::sneaky:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have 2 e bikes and it lets mum join in and be part of the fun. Just find them a bit heavy lifting on and off the bike rack. Batteries are only put on the bike when we are actually using them.

OP
OP
Ken&Carol

Ken&Carol

Free Member
Jul 12, 2015
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Thankyou everyone for your comments, great site!!!!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Looking forward to getting a couple when we are old enough...BUSBY:D:D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
[QUOTE="chaser, post: 1506591, member: 2471] I have done over 40 miles on mine now
only had one ride then.::bigsmile::sneaky:[/QUOTE]
No it's taken quite a bit of building up to:), as I said , never been on a bike for fifty years, and never would have done either if it wasn't for these ebikes, had to invest in a new seat though , how the hell are you supposed to sit on them racing things I've no idea :oops::(

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
No wonder they are fat and unfit....BUSBY:D:D
Think it works quite the opposite way. Knowing you can't be defeated by hills/distance you actually use the bike more. I have had mine 5 days and been routes and distances I would never attempt on a standard bike. You still have to pedal and as you use them more build up your confidence/ability/strength. It's great and enjoyable. Bish bash BOSCH

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I have to agree that far from discouraging fitness E Bikes actively encourage it .
Dropped off my MH at A and E leisure for some work to be done in Northeich and cycled home , will be a round trip of 18 miles when I go back ( up hill and down dale btw ) would never of dreamt of doing that before the E Bikes

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I have to agree that far from discouraging fitness E Bikes actively encourage it .
Dropped off my MH at A and E leisure for some work to be done in Northeich and cycled home , will be a round trip of 18 miles when I go back ( up hill and down dale btw ) would never of dreamt of doing that before the E Bikes

I can manage that on my old push bike,,,all hills around me....cycling has done my new knee wonders.....BUSBY...

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
No wonder they are fat and unfit....BUSBY:D:D
I have got much fitter since getting my ebike. I wouldn't use my regular bike when out with hubby as he is cycling mad (mountain biking mostly) and I just couldn't keep up which frustrated us both.
With the ebike we can go at the same pace and longer distances and I actually enjoy riding so I do a lot more.
Next weekend we go to the Peak district in the MH to do some cycling and then bank holiday to the Kielder Dam for some more.
Plus for those who haven't tried one - its not like a moped - you actually have to pedal - the battery assistance just helps on the lumps and bumps!

Jen

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I have got much fitter since getting my ebike. I wouldn't use my regular bike when out with hubby as he is cycling mad (mountain biking mostly) and I just couldn't keep up which frustrated us both.
With the ebike we can go at the same pace and longer distances and I actually enjoy riding so I do a lot more.
Next weekend we go to the Peak district in the MH to do some cycling and then bank holiday to the Kielder Dam for some more.
Plus for those who haven't tried one - its not like a moped - you actually have to pedal - the battery assistance just helps on the lumps and bumps!

Jen

Never seen any one out of breath on an E bike,,,,you need hills to keep you fit and healthy....BUSBY:):):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back