Electric bikes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ken&Carol, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Ken&Carol

Ken&Carol Read Only Funster

Hi everyone
    We are thinking of buying some electric bikes to get about while on sites, if any of you have them have you had any problems when out and about with them? Although we will buy locks for them I am concerned that they may get stolen? I would love to hear everyone's experiences.

2. Adbt

Adbt Funster

We just use the same security measures as you would for a non electric bike .
    The choice of bikes is massive , happy hunting !
    The electric bikes have transformed the way my wife and I motorhome , all for the better !

• Like Like x 5
  3. Ken&Carol

Ken&Carol Read Only Funster

Thankyou for that, just bought the MH last month, not had one before so everything is new to us. Been out a couple of times, we are off to Wales in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We have had electric bikes for ten years we just take the best security precautions we can then get on with our day leavening the bikes . No point in worrying about them when you are out and about. But they are well worth having for getting about and lots of pleasure the places we have been on them it is well worth it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We just changed to e-bikes a couple of months ago, we make sure we lock them up in a public place when leaving them, wouldn't leave them in a big town.
    You can get a couple of googd secure locks for less than 200 quid, the good locks tend to be heavy. If using a chain make sure it can not touch the ground this prdvents anyone with bolt cutters gdtting any leverage if they try to cut the chain.

• Like Like x 4
  6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Like many on this forum we bought our bikes from ASF who are based near Coventry. They attend lots of shows - we bought ours at the NEC a couple of years ago. Very friendly and helpful people.

We insure our bikes with ETA. They were happy that we stored them in the motorhome's garage (they are folders). However they require locks to be fitted to a specified standard when outside of the motorhome. From memory we bought our locks from Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

When on site I obviously secure my bike with appropriate locks. I do however make it less desirable for a thief by making sure that neither the battery or the seat are on the bike.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

I lock my ebikes with two high quality d locks and have purchased a long security cable that I thread through the seats and front wheels and hook it into the d locks for extra security to deter thieves pinching my seats also my house insurance covers my bikes.Ebikes are a great way of getting around happy cycling.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cobweb

Cobweb

Having just cycled over 1000km in Germany and France on my brand new Kalkoff E bike I can testify that it is absolutely fabulous ! I still get exercise and can choose the level of assistance or indeed turn it off since the bike works fine without . It is great to zoom up hills and wait for husband to catch up on his non assisted bike . For security we have a serious heavy lock which was recommended by our insurance and in the van the bike is in the Garage . This bike has totally changed my cycling experience .

• Like Like x 5
  10. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Good e bikes do...love our Bosch powered ebikes.

11. stevec

stevec Funster

We bought two 20 inch folding ebikes recently. We are upgrading our MH to be able to accomodate them under the French bed instead of on a bike rack. Covered on our household insurance but they must be secured to "an imovable object". Fortunately they consider a MH falling into this category. We use a substantial D lock and also a thick chain. They are heavy but they fit on the panier rack ok. As others have said it opens up the places we can explore as our kness aren't what they used to be. And we can have as much assistance as we feel necessary and also get some exercise. I used to arrive at a destination all worn out with my street bike but now I can enjoy the place we have arrived at without having to rest for ten minutes first!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Judge Mental

Pointless getting ebikes that can't climb hills with ease....you will be surprised at so many that are hopeless and end up in garages unused,........ Try before you buy!

• Like Like x 3
  13. parknride

parknride Funster

Just got mine, always thought they were for wusses and posers. Could not have been more wrong. Hubby can ride a bike anywhere. I used to ask how far, how many hills, then refuse to go along. This bike has changed all of that I love it. I know it will make our travels so much easier and enjoyable. Listened to views on here and got the Bosch drive, Well impressed. I think I will get even more exercise now because I know the hills are no problem.
    P.s he's thinking of getting one as well!

• Like Like x 4
  14. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

I have an ebike. The one tip I would say for security is to store the battery separately from the bike - not worth stealing without the battery as that would be a very heavy bike!
    So I keep the bike in the MH garage and the battery in the cab under the seat.

Jen

• Like Like x 2
  15. musson

musson Funster

Hi we had two fold up and now have full size electrics (Freego Regency Dutch Style and a whoosh mountain bike) the freego has a fitted wheel lock built into frame goes through wheel we also use a steel cable lock,always lock them together try to make sure they are in view ( at sheringham use tesco store bike racks) always lock the battery onto the bike.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Judge Mental

As said store battery separately as well as anything else easily removed! As an eBike without display, battery, seat and charger not that attractive to thieves unless it has quality components...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Just noticed your location , I use Valley Scooters in Bolton for all my E Bike needs and btw went there today and they have the new Wisper range in stock , go have a look , they are stunning !

• Like Like x 2
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

Never been into riding bikes for 50 years , still think they shouldn't be on the same roads as other vehicles, but must say we are blown away with these wayscral bikes we bought from norauto, I have done over 40 miles on mine now in a month , that's more than I have done in fifty years , ever since I got a motor bike never touched another push bike , and have found you don't actually have to pedal them , as long as you are slowly turning the pedals the motor keeps working so you can go uphill without any actual pressure on the pedals at all(y)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

[QUOTE="chaser, post: 1506591, member: 2471] I have done over 40 miles on mine now
    [/QUOTE]only had one ride then.::bigsmile::sneaky:

20. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We have 2 e bikes and it lets mum join in and be part of the fun. Just find them a bit heavy lifting on and off the bike rack. Batteries are only put on the bike when we are actually using them.

• Like Like x 1