Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Think that is the break point, "Used". I reckon the majority are in reality "occasional users" but I also believe that many are swept along on the Audi, BMW, Mercedes. VW, band wagon when in reality "see JB Power ratings" they are the least reliable and the most expensive when things go wrong. Of course "doon Sooth" they may have money to burn.
Oh yes I do like trying them though and generally I find them an aquired taste. In fact because you spend a lot you will convince yourself that it was justified ?? That applies to motorhomes too !! ;)

Course it applies to motorhomes, and why we prefer (for now) panel van campers, as if I spent 50k + on a van I would resent having other sorts of holidays....as I said earler most vans are well underused.

I started of like most and just bought used Wisper ebikes to take away on trips. The bikes were better then the crap bikes you buy at shows. (They operate a cartel at shows and refuse to let other retailers exhibit..did you know that......) So last place to buy an ebike is a motorhome show...

I happily drive a ford as my wife needs car for commute. Yes my bikes are equivilants of good german brand cars..but what's wrong with that. I can assure you from bitter experience with holidays ruined from e bike breakdowns, as far as I'm concerned I'm paying for quality and reliability, and 4 bosch bikes later have never had one let me down yet, or the ones I sold on, has anyone come back to complain...

As I started to cycle more and use at home, I bought new Wisper bikes, I looked at Panasonic powered centre drives, but thought them old fashioned and didn't like the long wheelbase, not great on a bike rack, heavy as well..... So they were out of the question.

Then Bosch introduced their system, and I admit I was smitten, loved it from the start, no comparison with cheap throttle bikes and all their problems..........To the casual observer yes they both "look" like bikes but are chalk and cheese apart....

Shopped about, refused to pay UK rip off prices and got first one from Gemany back in 2011? Probably one of the first KTM bikes here, year after bought another and have upgrade since then....that's it in a nut shell. :)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I've since done an easy mod on her bike and it now only does 4mph on the throttle, which she needs to help her get up and running. She's quite happy now :).

David, would you be kind enough to share the method of modification please, for a degree of peace of mind in Spain (and poss other eu countries who may follow suit). Although, how do you evidence it if you do get challenged by a zealous Spanish polizi?

Thanks

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
David, would you be kind enough to share the method of modification please, for a degree of peace of mind in Spain (and poss other eu countries who may follow suit). Although, how do you evidence it if you do get challenged by a zealous Spanish polizi?

Thanks

I tried two things, you can disconnect the throttle completely, inside the cover behind the pedals is a small connector, 3 wires, just pull it apart and the throttle won't work, just the pedal assist.

No good for Ginny as she needs motor to get the bike going. Basically I removed twistgrip which will just slide off handle bar, drilled small hole and fitted a grub screw. Where the grub screw locates on the handlebar I drilled a bigger hole. When assembled, the grubscrew now locates through the hole but restricts the throttle. I found I could adjust the speed by the position I set the twistgrip.

She can now pull away but when it gets to 4mph the motor just cuts off and she pedals. I was surprised at how well it worked.

It was about a 15 min job.

Disclaimer ;) I didn't really do this it's all just a pack of lies, officer :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I tried two things, you can disconnect the throttle completely, inside the cover behind the pedals is a small connector, 3 wires, just pull it apart and the throttle won't work, just the pedal assist.

Thanks David, a little job for Brian

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Its a big IF, but plod will simply be looking for a sticker on frame to see it Bike EN15194 complaint...and thats a Europe wide standard (except here)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm sure you can buy the stickers if you don't have one :whistle:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
"But before anyone glues a little sticker with these two letters onto their product, or prints CE in the user manual, an EC Declaration of Conformity must be submitted. In this, the “entity responsible for bringing the product to market” declares that their product complies with all relevant directives."

http://extraenergy.org/main.php?language=en&category=&subcateg=&id=35500

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I've just read your link above and this is printed in bold letters upon it:

The CE mark is an essential prerequisite for the production, import and sale of certifiable products within the EU. Fundamentally, with this mark, manufacturers declare themselves to the public authorities that their products comply with the relevant directives. These define the requirements for health and safety in the European Community (EC).

But they are legal in the UK, I'm just on a few weeks holiday. My motorhome would not comply with all the Spanish regs either, and visa versa for a vehicle coming to the UK. I'm just a temporary visitor, not trying to sell the bike.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The point was a quick bodge does not make a non compliant e bike compliant. Everyone entirely free to do what they want..... but please lets be aware off the facts....comparisons with motorhomes which are registered motor vehicles legal everywhere, are entirely erroneous..

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Excuse me, I don't bodge! :mad: It was a precision piece of engineering.

But I suppose this little 'kit' below would comply with the regs, even though it might have been fitted by a 12 year old. Curiously from the same link you posted above.

3116_270_1.jpg
Ideal motor for people who love doing things with their hands.
Category: Add-on kitTest result 2009/10: No recommendation
Price: 360 EUR

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Im sure your skills are exemplary David!:D

There are some good kits out there, I had one fitted to a really nice high spec Specialized cross bike. (its on a video on here somewhere) chap I sold it to still has it and its still going strong. BUT there is a problem with kits as they are impossible to meet the EN legislation I believe, particularly if you fit them yourself . Although that may change if they are fitted in house by supplier but that not a certainty...

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Can I question the experienced Ebikers please. I'm looking for a dual purpose 1/2. On the back of the van while touring and at home nipping up and down to the village. Only problem is that lane to village is steep (1 in 3 in places). I've been told that a good quality crank driven one could handle that. How many of you have crank driven ones and how good are they?

Dick

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Gosh ! I did not realise there was so much e bike snobbery around !
Methinks that I will stick with my Trek hybrid and keep pedalling
for another season since if anything goes wrong you can get it fixed almost anywhere . So far they have been very reliable and not worth a fortune so not a target for thieves . There is the exercise factor as well..... so back to the drawing board and start planning some easy rides in France and Germany next summer . I might consider an E bike to keep at home in North Yorkshire so that I can keep up with hubby on his mountain bike !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why don't we really get this thread going ?

It's like iPhones, people can buy an excellent 5 inch phone for £65 yet choose to pay £600 for an iPhone because it must be better, it's Apple and it's very expensive, quite obvious.

Yes , it's a lot of money to pay to be run over .

I've just read your link above and this is printed in bold letters upon it:

The CE mark is an essential prerequisite for the production, import and sale of certifiable products within the EU. Fundamentally, with this mark, manufacturers declare themselves to the public authorities that their products comply with the relevant directives. These define the requirements for health and safety in the European Community (EC).

But they are legal in the UK, I'm just on a few weeks holiday. My motorhome would not comply with all the Spanish regs either, and visa versa for a vehicle coming to the UK. I'm just a temporary visitor, not trying to sell the bike.

Yes but it is also legal to be able to drive in the UK at 17 ,,,,,,,,,,,but you still can't come here & drive .
That's what you are missing. Spain requires those with twist grips to have insurance & that is what you are being fined for. Not having insurance.
Same as A frames .To the Spanish it is a trailer & requires paperwork & insurance , etc. It cannot be a car being towed as Spanish law expressly forbids towing vehicles.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can I question the experienced Ebikers please. I'm looking for a dual purpose 1/2. On the back of the van while touring and at home nipping up and down to the village. Only problem is that lane to village is steep (1 in 3 in places). I've been told that a good quality crank driven one could handle that. How many of you have crank driven ones and how good are they?

Dick

Thats were crank drive bikes come onto there own...hill climbing! Just go to a proper ebike shop and try a few......

come back to me once you have tried some and I'll try to help if you're impressed

Last edited:

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
The crank drive bikes are brilliant on hills and I should know living in the peak district - can go out cycling and not worry about the hills and arriving all sweaty but still get exercise when otherwise you would use your car.
Have a Kalkhoff Pro Connect for sale if interested - shown earlier in the thread.
Trials welcome.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That's what you are missing. Spain requires those with twist grips to have insurance & that is what you are being fined for. Not having insurance.
Same as A frames .To the Spanish it is a trailer & requires paperwork & insurance , etc. It cannot be a car being towed as Spanish law expressly forbids towing vehicles.

Its not that they don't just have insurance thats the problem... they are also neither TAXED or TESTED. I know its daft but because they are not compliant with EN15194 regs, they are considered a low powered moped and require registration and testing and zero rated tax cert. ONLY compliant e bikes are exempt from motorised vehicle law?

But neither are A frames legal in the UK, The use just has not been tested in court...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back