LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I have 2 thoughts on this.
1. Ignore it - it's a scare story and extremely unlikely to happen to anyone in real life.
2. If you're really that concerned - buy one in Spain which will therefore be completely ok and allay any fears.

I seriously think the old bill have better things to do - even in spain(y)

You only have to look at the number of madge-mobiles in Beni to draw a comparison:ROFLMAO:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well sadly Ginny is now not happy to be riding her 'non conforming bike'. We were hoping to be heading off to Spain in about 4 weeks so I would like to try to source a bike for her. She's only about 5'4" so needs a small frame and a saddle that can go low enough for her to put both feet on the ground due to her medical condition, if not she feels unsafe. We live in Nottingham. Wondering if anyone knows of any good suppliers in Notts or nearby, any recommendations etc? Cheers Dave

Budget? This is the problem. These chinese throttle bikes are dirt cheap.....second problem, without a throttle they are not that nice to ride, as it takes a few turns for power to kick in. Whereas centre drive bikes which are pricy, the power is there as you press the pedal so much easier to get going..especially on hills. Third thing, if you wife thinks she needs to have both feet on the ground, this means the seat must be so low it must be real uncomfortable to ride? Your leg is supposed to be not far of straight sitting on seat with foot on pedels ...just a thought,....

Broken Link Removed
Raleigh modus a nice bike, you would have to satisfy yourself if others are EN 15194 for yourself...

We are currently at Almafra. Notice in rally folder says police are pulling people over for not wearing cycling helmets and fine is €60. We were out on bikes for 5 hours yesterday( with our helmets on ) and saw literally hundreds not wearing them. Saw quite a few police cars patrolling but didnt see one person being pulled over. Is it just that one grumpy police man who somebody upset?

In towns your supposed to be OK without helmet? venture out to adjoining town and that's where people are getting pulled for no helmets that is what I have read.

Gus, A Frames are not legal in UK they just have not been tested in court. You very eloquently pointed out differences between legal systems earlier..

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I have 2 thoughts on this.
1. Ignore it - it's a scare story and extremely unlikely to happen to anyone in real life.
2. If you're really that concerned - buy one in Spain which will therefore be completely ok and allay any fears.

I seriously think the old bill have better things to do - even in spain(y)

You only have to look at the number of madge-mobiles in Beni to draw a comparison:ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE

Yes, I'm thinking the same! I should have kept quiet and not told my wife, she would be none the wiser and then if she got nicked I could deny all knowledge of it!

Apart from the couple we met in Javea who let us try there non-conforming bikes, we saw quite a lot out and about! I wonder if any funsters (or other fellow motorhomers) have actually fell fowl of this?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Had a look about and found this one;

http://www.fosseelectricbikes.co.uk/low-step-electric-bikes/kudos-tempo

Spoke to them on the phone, they say it all complies with the EN regulations and would come with a certificate of compliance. It's just pedal assist with a launch assist that takes it to just 4mph (or was it kph).

Anyhow, would appear to fit the bill, he says hopefully...not a bad price either and quite near to have a test ride.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The wisper 805 a really nice bike
http://www.electricbikeinfo.co.uk/products/wisper/21/805fe/default.aspx

2evzti8.jpg

this to me looks a far better looking bike from Kudos, similar frames used by many manufacturers...

Broken Link Removed

abjfp.jpg

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
A fold up is what Ginny has at present, the thing I don't like is that they're not as stable as a larger wheeled bike but it will be her decision in the end, thanks for posting though, the more we see the better!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Bought an electric bike 2 years ago in Spain from Decathlon for 700 Euro's which has been very good, no throttle .
Called in this year and they gave us a Certificate of Comformity for the model we bought and said that no insurance is required .

Mike

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I almost wished I'd not seen this post! Anyone want to by my wife's Pro Rider ebike! She was looking forward to using it in Spain in a few weeks time, got away with it in France last year! Just looked at the companies web site and it seems they are 'unable' to provide a EN14764 certificate as the bike has a throttle. What a blow!

Dave you can disconnect the throttle on your pro rider if you take the cover off by the crank, just follow the wires down and part the push connection.

John.
Ps quite a few of us were in Benidorm over the winter period with pro rider and other makes, we had no trouble whatsoever with the Police.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Had a look about and found this one;

http://www.fosseelectricbikes.co.uk/low-step-electric-bikes/kudos-tempo

Spoke to them on the phone, they say it all complies with the EN regulations and would come with a certificate of compliance. It's just pedal assist with a launch assist that takes it to just 4mph (or was it kph).

Anyhow, would appear to fit the bill, he says hopefully...not a bad price either and quite near to have a test ride.

Ok, meet you half way, £15 cash !! ( for your old, second hand, uncared for, cast off prorider) (y)(y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Dave you can disconnect the throttle on your pro rider if you take the cover off by the crank, just follow the wires down and part the push connection.

John.
Ps quite a few of us were in Benidorm over the winter period with pro rider and other makes, we had no trouble whatsoever with the Police.

Cheers John, the problem is Ginny needs that 'throttle boost' to help get her off to a good start. She's currently in a rebellious mood and likely to just take it and hang the consequences. I'm not so worried about her being pulled over, it's more if she were to have some sort of incident with a pedestrian or something and the police get involved and she ends up being locked up and they throw away the keys :whistle:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We bought a couple of electric bikes last year and in the end settled on a couple of Evora folding bikes:

http://bicycles4u.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/evora-electric-explorer

The throttle just looks like a normal hand grip and the battery is hidden in the frame so it is a bit more 'discrete' than some electric bikes - we actually got these as we had very specific requirements but the fact that it is of the design it is and doesn't look like an electric bike means that it probably doesn't look so expensive so less likely to be nicked.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cheers John, the problem is Ginny needs that 'throttle boost' to help get her off to a good start. She's currently in a rebellious mood and likely to just take it and hang the consequences. I'm not so worried about her being pulled over, it's more if she were to have some sort of incident with a pedestrian or something and the police get involved and she ends up being locked up and they throw away the keys :whistle:
Pretty much what we're doing! We tend to pedal anyway so it wouldn't be that obvious when we're using the power of the bikes - one of the reasons we went for ones with a large chain ring is so that we can keep up with the speed of the 'engine' so our legs don't have to wiz round like Catherine wheels!

More info on this thread - we originally bought Pro-Riders but they were too heavy for us, so then went for the Evora ones:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/our-new-electric-bikes-have-arrived.82523/#post-987334

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Its a Europe wide law not just Spain, UK adopting it soon...but its not retrospective
According to DoT Britain will not adopt this reg.

Throttle only bikes will remain legal in UK as it is appreciated that they assist "disabled, infirm and elderly" to remain mobile. See my previous posts on this thread.

As I have a wife with two artificial knees who uses a bike that has pedal assist and throttle only settings I have asked for clarification from many advisors/authorities on this.

For once, Britain is taking a pragmatic view of the European Framework.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yet another reason to avoid Spain.

Let's face it....they want us on aeroplanes, staying in all inclusive holiday apartments but if you drive there with your own accommodation ...you ain't welcome.
Absolutely.

That's probably why Brittany Ferries cancelled our crossing for our M/H in March.;)

Wish I could say we were disappointed but the problems being raised with trying to conform to the "law" in Spain means we are happy to take our money elsewhere.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
According to DoT Britain will not adopt this reg.

Throttle only bikes will remain legal in UK as it is appreciated that they assist "disabled, infirm and elderly" to remain mobile. See my previous posts on this thread.

As I have a wife with two artificial knees who uses a bike that has pedal assist and throttle only settings I have asked for clarification from many advisors/authorities on this.

For once, Britain is taking a pragmatic view of the European Framework.

I'm pleased to be reading about the throttle bikes in the UK.

Although Ginny is going to be looking at another bike later this week. It will satisfy the legislation and has a lever type throttle that will take it to 4mph and help her get up and running. But, if she doesn't feel as comfortable on it as her current bike then we won't be getting it and her current bike will be going with us!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Although Ginny is going to be looking at another bike later this week. It will satisfy the legislation and has a lever type throttle that will take it to 4mph and help her get up and running. But, if she doesn't feel as comfortable on it as her current bike then we won't be getting it and her current bike will be going with us!
This has just given me an idea ... if pedal assist EBs that have a throttle that will only let you use it on it's own up to 4mph is permitted perhaps we should be looking at restricting how far the throttle itself can be 'twisted' or 'pushed' so that it isn't possible for it to be made to go over this speed ... ? Thoughts?

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
This has just given me an idea ... if pedal assist EBs that have a throttle that will only let you use it on it's own up to 4mph is permitted perhaps we should be looking at restricting how far the throttle itself can be 'twisted' or 'pushed' so that it isn't possible for it to be made to go over this speed ... ? Thoughts?

Mmmm, interesting idea, I would have to ride the bike to test the theory as I've never taken that much notice. When I ride it I just open the throttle all the way all the time! With our bike though, we would still have the problem of the Certificate of Compliance or whatever the stupid things called! :whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if pedal assist EBs that have a throttle that will only let you use it on it's own up to 4mph is permitted perhaps we should be looking at restricting how far the throttle itself can be 'twisted'

Beautifully logical. But I don't think El Cop is going to do a speed test, he wants piece of paper and possibly if he finds a throttle that moves he'll book you anyway.

Now, how about devious instead, hide the throttle somewhere. How about a Derailleur shifter that is actually a throttle ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The law is being changed last time I heard, but will ask someone I know tomorrow, it was due to be heard in parliament early new year, but like I have said previously it's not retrospective...but still not legal is europen and this what thread is about...that ain't gona change...

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Advice seems to be if you want a new throttle bike for exclusive use in UK get one now, or wait see what happens.... The 4 mph speedo is for walking beside to help get bike up hills, but once Crank is being peddled, turning, throttle is free to assist to 15.5 mph, what this is like in practice you had better satisfy yourselves before laying out money..but I really suggest trying some centre drive/crank drive bikes...you will be surprised who well they ride

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
The more I keep reading about this the more annoyed it makes me! :mad:

We live near a canal which has a tow path and is also a cycling route. So Ginny is bumbling along on her possibly about to be out-lawed ebike at 15mph max whilst being overtaken by other cycles doing twice the speed in many cases, ringing a bell as they fly pass, not wanting to slow up as it will ruin their excercise session!

She has a medical condition called Non Distrophic Myotonia which is basically an incurable condition that results in discomfort and weakness in the muscles of the arms and legs. At 62 years of age she has only about 10% of the strength she should have. The cold makes her condition worse, mild exercise helps her. Being in a warmer climate is a great help, being out and able to ride a bike again makes her happy and feel less incapacitated! :)

We're both law abiding, but in this instance it can go stuff itself!

If she gets on with the bike we're going to try out later this week then fine. If she doesn't like it or get on with it, her current bike will be on the back of the van when we head off in a few weeks time! :sneaky:

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

Please see response received from DofT re this thread. In a further response it was said that DofT accept that such electric bikes allow disabled and elderly to remain mobile. They are recommending that they continue to be allowed in UK. HOwever it is up to MPs to make the final decision.

What happens in Spain etc. is up to them, unfortunately. The quoted Geneva Convention on Transport, which states that if it is legal in the Country of origin/registration it is legal for temporary use throughout Europe does not seem to be widely accepted by Police.

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are not proposing any change to the throttle requirements in the context of the GB EAPC classification as not being a motor vehicle. (The other requirements on motor power and assistance cut-off speed must continue to be met and the vehicle must be capable of pedal operation).

Pedal cycle classification elsewhere in Europe is a matter for each country to determine. My understanding is that GB is unusual, if not unique, in allowing "twist and goes" to be regarded as pedal cycles; in most countries, they will probably need to be registered and taxed etc. as a motor vehicle of the relevant national category.

Yours sincerely

Alan Carpenter

DfT – International Vehicle Standards

1/34 Great Minster House

33 Horseferry Road

London SW1P 4DR

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread