Electric bikes in France - Rules + Regs?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by icantremember, Jul 9, 2012.

1. icantremember

icantremember Funster

As Joyce is becoming older and more decrepit she felt the need for an electrically assisted bike, so being the generous soul that I am I agreed and bought her one at Stratford recently.:Wink:

Although I am a super fit athlete, I didn't want her to feel different so I also bought one for myself.:Cool:

We shall be taking these bikes to France shortly and just wondered if there are any special rules and regulations as to their use over there such as compulsary insurance, helmets, hi-vis, L plates or even breathalisers.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

no idea

I cannot help you with advices on bikes.. but we did get some funny looks with the disability scooters in some areas of France we have been to. Local police have stood and looked at us, but they did not say anything, just gave us a good once over .... mind you did not see many when we have been out and about... seen a lot more in the North.

The bikes we have come in to contact on the 'Green Route' (Runs from London to Paris via Dieppe and down through Neufchatel -en- Bray (very friendly route to bikes, wheelchairs etc.,) seemed all to be pedal driven, did not see any battery operated.. but we did see other Brits on our sites with electric and also Dutch.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We used our electric bikes in france a lot, with our helmets on the road and we received a lot of glances and questions admiring them but we were never pulled up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. elamessa

elamessa Funster

As they sell electric bikes in supermarkets and motorhome dealers over here you should have no problem. Just enjoy this wonderful country.

• Like Like x 1
  5. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

Just come back from France used my lecci bike quite a bit, I read somewhere you have to have a bell...........Del

• Like Like x 1
  6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We intend to take our electric bikes to France soon but will attach the LHD conversion and light stickers.
    We also carry hi vis striped jackets, berets , breathalysers, and a string of onions

:france::france::france::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  7. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Electric bikes here are restricted to 15mph on electric only [nothing to stop you pedalling faster of course...] Rest of EU is allowed to be marginally higher I think, but in all cases they are treated as pedal cycles rather than powered two wheelers and so the rules of the country you are in relating to pedal cycles apply. But if you feel like getting breathalysers, hi viz, warning triangles, beam adjusters, GB stickers and the rest, go for it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Brian, given your first paragraph I should forget about it if I were you. Joyce will obviously be going on her own or with a crowd of other youngsters whilst you are in the queue at A&E :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We have cycled many miles in France with our electric assist bikes, we do wear our helmets, never had any problems. Don't forget your warning sign to put on your bikes when they are on the rack. If you get the chance do try Ile-de-rae with your bikes, unbeatable IMHO. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

:thumb:Thanks for that Del ..... both bikes came with fitted bells so should be ok there.
    Brian

11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Thanks Carol, I tried to find Ile-de-rae on Google maps but it comes up with various options. Could you please let me know which area you are refering to.
    Brian

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

cant see why there should be any special regs.....just the normal rules of the road.

after all, its legal for kids of 14 to ride mopeds, which i believe are classed as bicycles over there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

just like the UK then.....

all road going vehicles must have an audible warning device.......when did you last see a bell on a mountain/bmx bike :Eeek:

14. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Just off La Rochelle the bridge takes you to Ile-de-rae, think its about16 euros to go across, so worth staying a few days or a week, but so much to do, we always use La Ocean a Camping Cheque site which is right in the center of the Island so you can cycle either way, St Martins and La Flotte are a couple of our favorites, on the search thingy there is quite a bit of info about it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. icantremember

icantremember Funster

:thumb:Thanks Carol, we shall be around that area so will try to fit in a visit. Brian