Electric bikes / electric bug killers

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Gwendolyn, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn Read Only Funster

Hi

Can any of you please recommend reliable, medium priced, electric bikes. And have you used those electric mosquito killers? Are they effective? Can you recommend one?

Thank you,
    Gwendolyn

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We have one of these, seems to work fine but needs the mains, and the light can be a nuisance at night.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/indoor-insect-killer-286548

We used a heated gadget that took a flat tablet that was supposed to kill midges years ago that seemed to work.

Can't help on bikes.

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have found a red bulb to be just as efective against mozies,but can give out the wrong signals:Doh:.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We bought Two of These at the Cheshire show last July. We got the Mk2 version rather than the more expensive Mk3 as we thought the range was enough for us.

We had a good look round at other suppliers before we jumped and both build quality and price looked better than others.

Pete, the owner is very good. One bike was knocked over by accident after a few days of ownership and the kick stand got broken. Got in touch with Pete to ask how much a replacement was and he sent one out free of charge.

Very pleased with the bikes so far.

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Blush::Blush:

6. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

7. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Can't advise on electric bikes, I still use muscles .. but often wished I had one .. :Laughing:

Re electric bug killers, I tried one and found it of little good.. the most effective repellent we've used is the mosquito coil..

[​IMG]

If you don't like the idea of burning one overnight, then mosquito bed nets are also very good..

9. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I bought 2 of these from AS cycles from their depot just outside Coventry, I had the opportunity to try before buy. We were looking for an electric one for me (disabilty) and a manual one for Lin, however after trying them and considering the value for money we opted for both electric. At 23kg each they probably would have fitted on a rear cycle carrier but we tested them and found they would fit through the door and into the back of the M/W. We bought 2 zip up bags while we were there to put them in, they are very robust and prevent any damage to the interior of the vehicle whilst moving them in and out and at £20 each well worth it. They also threw in a pair of pannier bags.

Well recommended!!

10. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Our votes go to asbikes as well, we got 2 mk2 bikes with the 20 inch wheels and we get admiring glances everywhere but that aside they really do what Pete the owner says about them, we have gone 25 miles on them on a cycle track and still plenty of juice in the batteries, I will say though that the tyres puncture easilyand got caught out in a thunderstorm and got soaking wet while Terry went to fetch the van to pick me up,It was the back tyre got punctured and not being able to take the back wheel off.
    We have since bought that "slime" which works, havent had one on it since, Pete sells slime as well so he must have had the same feedback about the tyres.
    We have them on the cycle carrier at the back with the batteries taken out since they weigh 23 kilo's each but that within the limit of 60 kilo's to be carried on the rack anyway.
    We do have to bag to put them in but to get terry to put them in and put them up in the luton cab is another thing, he has all his junk up there and dont want to move it???:Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Supposed to be weather proof anyway so Pete says, it will take this winter to prove that???
    Have got a cycle cover on them but the condensation still got our last bikes

11. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

The tennis racquet type fly killers are effective but you have to bear in mind that you have to keep them moving. The mossies won't come to you. And don't catch yourself with it when it's active - I did and it hurts:Doh:
    It kills most flies etc but only stuns wasps.

12. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

Have used electric bug catchers work on flies but not a lot of use on mozzies. I think they are too small.
    We have problems after taking our 2 poodles for a walk if mozzies around as they get in their coats, and come in. Have not found a better way of killing than swatting, around light fittings.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I have, less messy, we have a little 12V vac, works a treat on all flying things.

14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Re bug killers

We have the mosquito coils in metal hangers.. They work. We also have some electric ones we got from Spain a while back that use the tablets, again work fine. Outside we have citronella candles in buckets purchased 2 fo £5 at a show.. This work reasonably well. The coils can be used in doors or out, but will set off the alarms. We also have for the exercise the electric bats to swipe. At bugs.. Kill sow now and again

And for wasps... We havete jars you hang up with sugar solution in ..trap... Works sometimes .. Have seen 6 wasps in one and half hour later all gone:cry:

But lots of items out there.. Punted have had the solar blue light things..waste of time.

Bob:Blush: