Electric bikes and AS Bikes in particular (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Or if you catch the throttle when at rest as I have done. BUT having done it you are then very careful about switching the power to off when stopped.

To avoid accidental use of the throttle, I turn the electric assist on/off as needed during journey. This following one incident of me being dragged into a hedge while 'stationary' and another of me having a tumble while on the move. It's a bit of a faff but worth it!

Karen

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
To avoid accidental use of the throttle, I turn the electric assist on/off as needed during journey. This following one incident of me being dragged into a hedge while 'stationary' and another of me having a tumble while on the move. It's a bit of a faff but worth it!

Karen
I turn mine off too! After doing a wheelie in front of the neighbours on its maiden trip... They thought it was hilarious .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Karen

Yes, that's what I do now. I think it would be better if the switch went from "off" to "pedal assist" to "throttle assist" rather than "throttle assist" being next to "off". That way I would use the throttle when setting off (for balance or boost when on road) and then switch as required. Generally I only use the throttle when setting off anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I personally think all this "throttle ebikes are illegal" is all cowpat, we have been looking at some today and i asked the guy in shop why they are considered illegal etc, even though his answer seemed plausable "for instance a car may be pulling out of a junction and not realizing how fast an electric bike may be travelling etc" I have been doing 35mph in the past and had bikes overtake me and they were not electric... and who is to know if you do have a throttle electric bike - do police stop people on electric bikes to check - i doubt it !

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive just had my first weekend away with our new ebikes ,i an my missus are both very impressed by them ,so were the dogs, we did a 42km ride around part of Rutland water ,i do admit to a tender seat afterwards due to not having ridden for a year or so . The dogs enjoyed them too
kes on ebike.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Love the photo of new van new bikes lovely dogs and lovely glamorous wife in wedge shoes!! ( wish I looked as good on mine I usually wear old crocs!!):)
How's the MH are you pleased?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Love the photo of new van new bikes lovely dogs and lovely glamorous wife in wedge shoes!! ( wish I looked as good on mine I usually wear old crocs!!):)
How's the MH are you pleased?

we both love the van Anthea , theres nothing that we dont like about it the weekend was meant to be a one nighter as we had a familly bash today but we decided to stay and extra evening ,at Kes,s request i left the curtains open and the view in this morning was majestic , we have a few things that we want to do ,such as buy a longer gas hose for the barbie ,put some food in the cupboards etc ,it was a great relaxing fantastic couple of days ,its going to be a long 11 days before we are off again

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@laird of Dunstan

What make is the dog trailer please?
We're thinking of getting one for Milo, though he's a bit bigger than your two! Not sure he'll take to it but we've missed our cycling on this first trip away since we got him.

Karen

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I personally think all this "throttle ebikes are illegal" is all cowpat, we have been looking at some today and i asked the guy in shop why they are considered illegal etc, even though his answer seemed plausable "for instance a car may be pulling out of a junction and not realizing how fast an electric bike may be travelling etc" I have been doing 35mph in the past and had bikes overtake me and they were not electric... and who is to know if you do have a throttle electric bike - do police stop people on electric bikes to check - i doubt it !
As shared by @scotjimland recently
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-guides/uk-electric-bike-law/

Note
The new law will NOT be backdated so any bikes bought prior to January 2016 will not be affected as ‘grandfather rights’ apply

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I have used mine with throttle all over EU, never been stopped, even asked about it, who is going to stop a OAP on a bike?
I do have insurance tho, accident insurance comes with the theft part.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
@laird of Dunstan

What make is the dog trailer please?
We're thinking of getting one for Milo, though he's a bit bigger than your two! Not sure he'll take to it but we've missed our cycling on this first trip away since we got him.

Karen

Hi Karen ,(from the Laird's missus) it is/was half price £99 from Halfords as a double child buggy but has the perfect secure and comfortable fittings for a (small) dogs harness. the buggy is fit for up-to-40kg, our two dogs combined are 20kg but i'd still put in a little padding (pillows or cushions to ease joints and bones). We gave the "girls", a very short outing at first to ensure they would not be anxious but they settled in beautifully and - to all (human) appearances seemed to thoroughly enjoy the experience. My stepson had his staffie in the same buggy with no problems.

The added bonus being that their rather obvious relaxed enjoyed with our joy of the cycle ride in the glorious beauties of the spring-time English countryside seem to give (without exception) every other cyclist that we met reason to smile and / or comment on the days blessings.
[As my Grandmother would say - if you meet someone without a smile, given them yours!]
I have to say that i can't work out who enjoyed the ride more, ourselves or the "girls".....what bliss.

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi my electric exile has a switch on handlebars to turn throttle control on or off and still use pedal assist

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks laird's missus!

I've been thinking about it and there's a French guy on an Aire here pulling one with a dog bigger than ours. I agree, I always smile when I see them especially if they're poking their heads out the top.

We thought this was a good idea but didn't think Milo would fit in a backpack!

DSC_0017.JPG

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
ive just had my first weekend away with our new ebikes ,i an my missus are both very impressed by them ,so were the dogs, we did a 42km ride around part of Rutland water ,i do admit to a tender seat afterwards due to not having ridden for a year or so . The dogs enjoyed them tooView attachment 106073
Haibikes rule (y) love ours since getting them at the beginning of the year, out most weekends and now hopefully grab some evening rides now the lighter nights are here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back