Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
bexhill
Funster No
MH
exploring the market
Exp
I'm a newbe
Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the reliability of the electric beds? I'm looking to buy a Chausson 630 with two single electric beds. My only reservation, more or less about the whole machine, is whether the electric beds really can put up with being put up and down daily, year in, year out, without constant problems. My intention as a solo traveller would be to leave one bed down, (therefore still being able to use half the lounge, and half the table) thereby reducing the amount of "cycles" that the bed is subjected to. Having said all that, it would be nice to know if I am potentially buying into a "can of worms"?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Wear & tear of a (relatively) simple mechanism shouldn't be problem. If over time that aspect of the beds needs work it is likely to be basic and therefore cheap. The issue with most modern MH components is the smart devices used to control them. Small boxes of complex electronics that cost a disproportionate amount to replace.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the reliability of the electric beds?

Use the site search facility, some poor soul was in trouble a week or so ago.

I would not entertain one, it's just something else to add weight and go wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We had a 510 for a couple of years. We always made sure we had the manual crank handle and the reset/reprogramming instructions. It once got so confused it went down when pressed up and vise a versa! I got no joy from the manual supplied. Contacted project 2000 the bed manufacturer who emailed me the instructions. We found the bed comfy but this was one of the reasons we changed vans didn't want to rely on electric bed. Also there was an electric table, but that didn't have any issues. We were only using the van for odd weekends and a few holidays.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I bought an electric recliner for the wife, but she wont even sit in it. Tried tempting her with treats, like my credit card left on the seat, but she just sniffs it, and backs off. Waste of money. :(:(

electric chair.jpg

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Our RV has an electric bed. The vehicle is 2003 and we've owned it 3.5 years with no problems.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We don't have electric beds but Project 2000 ones are fitted to many makes of motorhome including Chausson & have read of many owners having the same problems as Spidey described above. In fact the reset instructions that she posted (y) have been passed on & got many out of trouble lots of times.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I don't have an electric bed but a friend has/had one in a Swift Rio 340. We went on holiday with them 2 days after picking up the van (2016 ex demonstrator) from a dealer near to us. Two weeks into the holiday, the bed stopped working and would not go up or down but was fortunately up fairly high. The van was put back into the dealer at the beginning of November for repair of the bed and a cracked sink. Approx a month ago, my friend was told the van was all fixed and that he could take it away. He tried the bed, and the mechanism shattered.

He is now in conversation with the dealer for a full refund...............

Would I have one? Definitely not

Cheers

Trevor

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We had an electric bed in our last Frankia, which we owned for nearly 6.5 years and used for about 350 nights' camping so the bed would have done at least 400-500 cycles. Never had a problem with it although I was wary and made sure I knew how to operate it without power.

I couldn't see the mechanism on that ever shattering - it had two motors driving chunky worm drives and huge gas struts.

Having said that, I wouldn't have one by choice; as posted earlier, it merely adds weight right over the front axle and it is something potentially to go wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back