Electrial points

Discussion in 'Motorhome on a Budget' started by RobGriff, May 28, 2011.

1. RobGriff

RobGriff Funster

Hi can some body help ? I have 2 single points in my camper can these be changed to double points. :Cool: :thumb:

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

No problem from an electrical point of view, assuming you don't overload your circuit in which case the trip will go, however a double socket is a lot wider so you may have to chop your furniture about which you may not fancy. If you just need extra sockets to charge phone, laptops and so on you may find something like this useful.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/1-to-5-socket-plug-in-surge-adaptor-508273

There are others available, this may be a bit over the top:Smile:

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I always find the easiest method of gaining extra temporary points is to take an extension lead with 4 sockets on. Saves cutting the van about. You can still only use the same amount of Amps, either way depending on hook up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

These are great but measure to see if it will fit before you buy one, yes, yes, yes, I know. I didn't, yadda, yadda yadda :p

Surge protector is a bonus but separate switches is a must and don't overload, a kettle, toaster, hair dryer is a tad OTT lol

5. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

6. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

I have just added extra sockets in our Auto cruise Rhythm, originally there was one double over the hob and one single by the TV next to a 12v cigar socket - no sockets at all at the rear of the van and none near the front, so i added 2 singles (240v) one either side at the rear and another single behind the driver seat - then added a 12v cigar socket, a USB twin port socket and a voltage display at the rear too, took a while to take and get behind all the panels to feed cable but all looks good now, cant ever see them getting overloaded as we dont take many power hungry things with us - its for convenience more than anything else - i hate having cables and extensions running all over the place.

7. autorouter

autorouter Funster

Are the sockets normal UK domestic sockets (with two screws and a square backbox) or the other kind common in MHs with a clip-on bezel and a round backbox (CBE/Berker)? The 'double socket converter' only works with normal domestic sockets, unfortunately.

One solution that works for both types of sockets is a standard 4-way extension. Most have keyhole recesses on the back. Screw two self-tapping screws into the wall/cupboard until they stick out a couple of mm, then slot the 4-way onto it. I think it looks better if you cut down the wire until there's no excess, and refit the plug.

You can buy coloured or metal-finish 4-ways, it doesn't have to be white.

8. ****

**** Read Only Funster

9. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I put extra sockets in my Autotrail, I used the same units as fitted by autotrail, CBE.
    The van had 2x single sockets, these are very easily converted to 2x doubles. You just need to source the extra CBE sockets, a double frame and trim to suit the trim of your van. The CBE range allows you to choose what suits your needs best, have a look at their range, you build up the points in single gang units and choose the base frame and trim to suit, or double or triple. On both my additions, I went with a vertical array, you are not bound by horizontal fits, so do what's works for you. If you need, I'll add pics.
    Lance

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ukdw

ukdw Funster

image.jpeg If you do double them up I would advise against putting them this way around like they are in my Autocruise Alto. Quite difficult to get a second plug in! Am temped to rotate them around by 90 degrees if it doesn't look too odd.

11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

You could just rotate the top one and use it for chargers

• Like Like x 1
  12. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Who thought up that stupid socket idea? If your kitchen area is to the right i think sideways they will be moved to.

13. ukdw

ukdw Funster

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

We have a single socket like that which I turned upside-down. Very easy to do and the only way the Dyson charger would fit. You might be able to turn them through 90 degrees instead.

15. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

When we had additional sockets added to the rear of the hab area, we told the dealer the likely use for them and they rotated them which ever way we wanted to accomodate the ridged charger plugs and whether the leads came off the top, the bottom or sides of the plug.

16. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

That's exactly what I've done, rotated
    thats just what I've done, rotated the top socket 90'. It doesn't look odd and the array works quite well :)

17. ukdw

ukdw Funster

Rated two sockets 90 degrees. And yes was easy to do, thanks. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files: