Elecsol Batteries Fobbed off you will be!! (1 Viewer)

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
Has anyone had dealings with the above company,when we had our habitation service
East coast leisure told us that both leisure batteries were Kaput,as our M/H is only 1 yr
we contacted Auto Trail who pointed us in the direction of Elecsol,i rang them on their 0800 number and spoke to some rather abrupt person who said get them tested and write
in, i did this no reply,i followed this up with an email still no reply,i then used the facility on their website,i then got a reply asking me to call today to arrange delivery,so i call today
the abrupt man answers says he will ring you back without taking your number Fobbed off or what!!!
:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
,so i call today the abrupt man answers says he will ring you back without taking your number Fobbed off or what!!!

I think that legally you don't have any rights to have a go at Elecsol, you can only get stroppy which the firm you paid your money to, so get back to them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Unfortunately you are not alone.. Elecsol's poor performance and poor customer support have been the subject on several forums..

Google 'Elecsol complaints

here is one from Caravan Talk

Link Removed

they don't like bad press, so airing your grievance here might get them to respond

good luck

jim

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Bl***y hell I've got 2 in my 2008 Autotrail. Its going in for its first habitation check so do they do the batteries without asking?
Btw Elecsol are now on the Clayhill estate in Neston about 5 miles from me.
I originally ordered my second battery from a caravan dealer it wasn't delivered,the dealer rang Elecsol who said if I went to Neston and collected it they would reimburse my travelling. I collect battery and a £10 cheque written there and then!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I had two X 220 amp Elecsol batteries fitted to my van last November. I have not been happy with their performance at all, not for the size of them.

On my Portugal trip last year i had an issue over power. When i got back and phoned Elecsol I got the same bog standard answer " remove them from the van and charge them for three days" with that the phone went dead! I never got the chance to say ( the green glowing light was not lit anymore). I had just driven 1500 miles why would they need charging? I had a Sterling 4 stage charger fitted to the van. As i had a large solar system and didn't tend to stay in one place for more than two nights i had been ok for power (so far). When the van is parked up at the end of a journey my batteries say they are full 13.6 amps. I feel when i look at my gauges at the end of a night they have droped to 12.5 volt. Due to having all LED lights, 12 volt TV/DVD and a laptop running for about two hours they seem to loose a lot of power.

I have been parked up with other motorhome people who have less ampage batteries and use more power than me but they say they can survive for 3-4 days with no problem.

I would not feel confident in buying Elecsol batteries again.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Contact the trading standards office in the area of the company.

Very often they will firstly give you a quote from the sale of goods act or relevant legisltation covering money back gurantees/warranties etc. for you to quote in a letter to the vendor, if this doesn't work then they contact the company on your behalf.

It may well get them doing something but worth a try and it will highlight them to trading standards. I know when i did something similar with a 'suspect' Toyota garage they nearly fell over themselves to rectify the issue as soon as i quoted the paragraph from trading standards

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Are these batteries made in the uk?

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I would not feel confident in buying Elecsol batteries again.

When I spoke to a largish converter in Milton Keynes he told they used to use Elecsol batteries. He said they were always giving problems, he claimed that the after sales service was OK and they always shipped out a replacement but it was happening far too often and they were forced to change suppliers.

I may be old fashioned but to me it doesn't matter how often and how quick the replacement is supplied, the fact is if they keep breaking down after a short period os use then they are no good to anyone.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
Has anyone had dealings with the above company,when we had our habitation service
East coast leisure told us that both leisure batteries were Kaput,as our M/H is only 1 yr
we contacted Auto Trail who pointed us in the direction of Elecsol,i rang them on their 0800 number and spoke to some rather abrupt person who said get them tested and write
in, i did this no reply,i followed this up with an email still no reply,i then used the facility on their website,i then got a reply asking me to call today to arrange delivery,so i call today
the abrupt man answers says he will ring you back without taking your number Fobbed off or what!!!

There is NO excuse for the way that this "abrupt" person dealt with your problem, and I sympathise with your problem, however Hilldweller (Brian) is right, in that your supplier is legally responsible for possible faulty goods and should be contacted.

I fitted two Elecsol 110ah batteries to our previous motorhome. They were still performing perfectly after 5yrs, when we traded it in. I have since fitted another matching pair to our current M/H. These too are still performing as good as the day they were fitted, after approx 3yrs.

Without being critical in any way, I am wondering if you have been maintaining your leisure batteries correctly, because they are an item that can often be neglected, without realising it. Another possible issue could be a fault with your M/H's charging system and that is why it would be best to get your supplier involved A.S.A.P.

Mick H.

S

stagman

Deleted User

I would have thought your first port of call would be the dealer that sold you the van .They are the ones that should be contacting Elecsol not you.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
When the van is parked up at the end of a journey my batteries say they are full 13.6 amps. I feel when i look at my gauges at the end of a night they have droped to 12.5 volt. Due to having all LED lights, 12 volt TV/DVD and a laptop running for about two hours they seem to loose a lot of power.

13.6V is a normal float voltage and might be expected at the end of a journey with the engine still running.

12.5V is when there is no charger connected and if it is still reading that at the end of the evening (with lights still on), it indicates your battery is still close to fully charged

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have 4 x 125Ah Elecsol batteries fitted 4 years 6 months ago. In that time I have topped them up with 7 litres of top up water. They are still going strong. Hope I'm not tempting fate:Doh:

They are checked every 6 months and always need topping up.

This is the regime I was advised to adopt by Vanbitz who supplied & fitted them. They suggested Elecsol because they had only had to replacw 1 and it was replaced with no quibble.

Did any of you with duff Elecsols get the same maintenance advice from your suppliers?

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It says on there website maintenence free.

Rich...

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
It says on there website maintenence free.

Rich...

"Maintenance free" can be a misleading term regarding batteries, in that it generally refers to checking the electrolyte NOT the charging regime. Any battery that is not charged on a regular basis, will become sulphated and as a result, no longer able to hold a charge. Elecsol do claim that theirs will tend to perform better than many others, in this respect, but if not charged correctly on a regular basis, then they will fail, as any battery will.

Mick H

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Intresting that Mick.

Does that mean if you have a solar pannel on the roof it will keep you batterys in better condition as they get a charge everyday even when the van is in storage?

Rich...

S

stagman

Deleted User
Intresting that Mick.

Does that mean if you have a solar pannel on the roof it will keep you batterys in better condition as they get a charge everyday even when the van is in storage?

Rich...

Yes you will have a trickle charge everyday : But best to get your batteries fully charged before storage :thumb:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I don't know if how they are charged makes a difference.

Mine are charged by 2 x 75w solar panels, a sterling battery to battery charger & a 50A mains charger.

I only use the mains charger a few times a year as the solar panels & the B2B charger keep the batteries well charged even in the winter.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Must admit since March this year our van has probaly only been on mains for about 3 nights of that time as we mainly go to meets.

Even after standing for 2 weeks the batts are all at full charge. That is with only a single 85w solar and 2 * 110 AH batts

Not sure why a mains charge is required?

Rich...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say i have tried all makes and all types of batteries over the years . i find wet normal truck batteries work no worse than the rest .price for price i think they equal what ever you put them next to. i used to like bosch or varta but some of the cheaper brands work well .at the moment i,m using banner. i could have saved a few bob by going to cornwall batteries in truro but didnt know of them atthe time they seem to buy in bulk and put their own stickers on . if you do use lots of power it is very difficult to put it back by solar in uk. even you battery chargers are normally too small ,you should charge at 10 percent of the amp hour. best charger i,ve ever used was a big oxford arc welder it used to charge 2-3 trucks at one time . cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back