Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Hello folks, We are going to have a look at a 2012 Suntor 100 tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone might have views on the Suntor 100. We already have an Elddis caravan so feel comfortable with the brand. Our Caravan is 10 years old and doubt that the brand has gone down hill too much in that time, does anyone know different.

The MH seems relatively well priced for a near new model. And has the right dimensions to fit our storage area, Does anyone know if you can set up the bench seat as a single bed? The pictures we have seen are not very good. It might save us the time and trouble of going out to look if it can't.

All views welcomed...... Tell me all about this van so if we get there tomorrow we will be fully armed and know what to look for.:thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Sorry I dont know but whould this help

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfGkI-Yd2RI[/ame]

Mel

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi we have a 2010 model and have had very few problems , the hab door seal came off and the table fell apart both repaired under warranty but apart from that nothing major.

The bench seat does not make into a bed although our Grandaughter has slept on it once but no way could an adult lie full stretch.

It is a great little van but we have only used it as a 2 berth , occasionally our youngest son comes with us and uses the overcab but because the ladder cant be used with the lounge bed made up as a double it causes disruption in the night if he needs the loo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
mel, thanks for the vid, I looked at that before posting my thread... good vid I thought.

Thank you too blamehofman... interesting user name!!!:winky:

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Sunstyle 120

We have an Elddis Sunstyle 120 which we bought from new in 2009, not the same layout as a 100, but if it's any help.....We liked it because it was compact, easy to park, the layout was what we wanted, the upholstery didn't blind us and the price was right !
We still enjoy it, we've had no major problems, the kitchen tap is prone to freezing in the winter so needs to be well lagged (North Yorkshire temperatures), one of the door hinges ceased up and needed replacing, just minor things.
The fresh water and waste tanks have only 45 litres capacity so need to be filled and emptied frequently. We purchased a larger leisure battery (105) the compartment wouldn't hold anything bigger and we also use an 80w stand alone hinged solar panel which we use on trips to France 2-3 times a year.
Can't help with the bed arrangements ours just pulls out to a double bed. We do about 10,000 miles a year, I also use it for work when needs be, wouldn't be without it.
All in all a good MH for the money, the salesman told it was a starter van and he was right, we are now on the lookout for a larger fully winterised vehicle with an island rear bed......ah bliss ! Have fun.

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the info, BTW what does that mean "winterised" I have seen that term a lot. Do you get lagged water tanks and pipes? what else do you need to do?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks for the info, BTW what does that mean "winterised" I have seen that term a lot. Do you get lagged water tanks and pipes? what else do you need to do?

That design hasn't changed for a long time - they used a very similar layout 10 years ago, and for a good reason! It offers the best internal space for the length of van and wastes very little. I used to prefer that layout for hire vehicles.

The side seat is a single bed, the seating area will have slide outs to widen as a double, and another double above the cab.

Winterised vans vary - a good quality will have thicker floor, roof and sides with much more insulation. The pipes will either be lagged, or enclosed with a second floor underneath. They will be a little cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter and reduced rain noise - depending on the converter.

Watch for ones that 'have been wintrised' as they may just have lagged pipes - only factory winterised models will have improved insulation. The downside is, they will often have less payload as the vehicle will be heavier.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
'Winterised' can refer to two distinct issues. Some people use it to describe the precautions to be taken in laying up a van for winter storage (as in draining down etc). More commonly, it refers to the quality of construction of the van and the degree to which it can cope with operating at temperatures below zero. In this regard, continental vans tend to be better than British-made ones. German, and most French vans are well-winterised; British ones, generally, are not. The requirements for a well-winterised van include: quality of insulation, all pipework inside, internal fresh water tank, internal and/or heated waste tank and dump valve, good sealing around vents etc. Some British vans are sold with a winter pack option which includes 12v heaters for the tanks (rather like a heater for a tropical fish tank). Whislt this may prevent freezing, it does not heat the dump valve which, if it freezes, will prevent emptying of the tank. Also, if you want to be off-hookup (and many of us do) the 12v heaters will run down your leisure batteries.

If you want to use the van all year round, particularly if you are considering sub-zero temperatures, I would think carefully about getting a continental van. I would choose an older German motorhome over a new / nearly new British one every time - but them I am biased. Others will, I am sure, say differently.

If you put 'winterised' into the search option at the top of the site, you will find many threads on this subject, including one started by Haganap on how he winterised his Bessacar (British) to cope with skiing trips.

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well our visit went very well, we liked the Suntor 100 and all it had to offer. For such a short van it felt airy and light and wide. It however didn't offer exactly what we want. One long bench to offer an adult size single. We did think long and hard before deciding against it. We also visited another dealer locally who had a good selection of vans for us to look over. One that seemed perfect was a somewhat careworn but had an appeal that none of the others had.

The Swift Royal with end lounge. We liked the simple open layout and comfy seating. Even the washroom seemed generous. The van was 16 years old on a Fiat base and looked its age, but somehow we both see this as less of a risk. Our thinking is that maybe an older van at a lower price is less of a risk if we don't like MH holidays. We are seasoned caravaners but both still worry that maybe a MH is too much of a change.

The good that came out of our visit is that we now know that we will have to look out for a rear lounge layout. The Swift may be the one, we are still talking it over. Is a Van this old made by the Swift a worthy consideration. All views welcome.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
When looking at rear lounges, consider the kitchen/washroom layout and make sure you are comfortable accessing oven, as some of these vans have restricted access, or may block the van during cooking. Silly things that annoy over time. You may not be able to fit belts on raer lounges either as there is not structural strength.

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the reply about end lounges rainbow chasers, we will not need travelling seats other than those in the cab as there is just the two of us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back