Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All,
I've received (via Recorded Delivery!) a letter from Elddis today regarding a 'safety recall'. Briefly, the letter states:-

"As part of Elddis Motohomes continuous quality assurance inspection process, we have regrettably identified a potential issue with the assembly of the motorhome step....."

Anyone else had one of these letters?

My MH is new and out of the Marquis stable. It's a 155 model with an electric step.

I've been assured by Marquis and Elddis that the recall covers a lot of vehicles and that it's just a precautionary inspection.

Anyone know what the problem is?

James

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
also 155 here but no letter yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi All,
I've received (via Recorded Delivery!) a letter from Elddis today regarding a 'safety recall'. Briefly, the letter states:-

"As part of Elddis Motohomes continuous quality assurance inspection process, we have regrettably identified a potential issue with the assembly of the motorhome step....."

Is that the case of 14 people at a bus stop who had their legs chopped off ?

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Can't just be me that got a letter? My impression was that the recall covered a range of 'vans with electric steps.

Jim and Lorraine

Free Member
Nov 10, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a 2012 eldiss 155 , owned it from new and I don't have a letter yet.
In saying that it may still be attached to the pigeon flying to Scotland .

Jim

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We had 2010 Elddis 180 from new, but traded it in last summer, we did have a bit of a problem with it not retracting fully when the engine was started.

It was fine for months after we got it, then it wasn't retracting completely, we checked to see if there was any grit caught up in it. But it cleared itself and we had no problems after this.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I have a 2012 eldiss 155 , owned it from new and I don't have a letter yet.
In saying that it may still be attached to the pigeon flying to Scotland .

Jim

It's possible that "our Alex" has hi-jacked the pigeon at the border:winky::roflmto:

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Who is the maker of the Step?.

Many vans have retracting electric steps fitted, not just Eldiss.

We have got an Omni Step on our Lunar and recently had a problem with it not retracting when engine started.

Had it repaired when the MoT was done in November last year.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We have a new 155 and have heard nothing.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Elddis 155 recall - update

Still no further on regarding WHAT the step problem actually is (it's an Omnistep by the way).

Tried phoning Elddis today but they close at 12.30 on a Friday!!!

Marquis were aware of the recall, but hadn't got any official confirmation from Elddis.

My local Caravan/MH dealership said if I didn't buy the van from them "I should go elsewhere as it was their policy not to do warranty work if they didn't supply the vehicle......and anyway, we know nuffink abaaat any recall". Not surprised with them, because their attitude stinks and they couldn't be bothered to open up locked MH's in their compound when I was first looking to buy.

If this recall letter hadn't arrive by registered post, I would think it was a joke!

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
The step on my 165 suddenly stopped working today.

It worked when we packed for the trip but wouldn't lower when we stopped to do some last minute shopping. Still won't work so I'll be calling Marquis tomorrow.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
Organplayer

Sorry to hijack this thread but talking Elddis. Does anyone have any knowledge/views on the Elddis/Majestic 105 Accordo. I have thought of joining the downsizing brigade and the seven feet width appealed to me after the almost eight feet width of the Bailey. Any views would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Hi All,

Anyone else had one of these letters?

My MH is new and out of the Marquis stable. It's a 155 model with an electric step.

I've been assured by Marquis and Elddis that the recall covers a lot of vehicles and that it's just a precautionary inspection.

Anyone know what the problem is?

James

Just a thought, Was it dated 1 April by any chance?

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
I have a letter both from Elddis recorded delivery and from Marquis about my 165. I spoke to the lovely Christine at Marquis Preston and she told me that apparently there a few of these steps that MAY have a piece missing which MAY cause a problem at some point, so Elddis are recalling them all to be checked.
Preston checked two on Friday, one was OK and the other needed repair, so it would appear to be a lottery.
Have booked mine in for a check.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Ah-ah! At last; someone else got a letter by recorded mail. So it WASN'T a belated April Fool joke after all!

The last 'Approved' Elddis place I phoned didn't know what the step issue was and wanted official authorty from Elddis before they would even look at my 'van.

Anyone know how these recalls work? Seems strange that they contact the customers first, before notifying dealerships or approved workshops of what the issue is. The letter makes me apprehensive because I don't know if all is ok, the step will collapse, or I will sythe the legs off show goers! I would have thought that they would send a technical directive at the same time as the customer's letters?

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Ah-ah! At last; someone else got a letter by recorded mail. So it WASN'T a belated April Fool joke after all!

The last 'Approved' Elddis place I phoned didn't know what the step issue was and wanted official authorty from Elddis before they would even look at my 'van.

Anyone know how these recalls work? Seems strange that they contact the customers first, before notifying dealerships or approved workshops of what the issue is. The letter makes me apprehensive because I don't know if all is ok, the step will collapse, or I will sythe the legs off show goers! I would have thought that they would send a technical directive at the same time as the customer's letters?

I also rang a local Elddis dealer to see if they could do it for me, anyway to cut a long story short, he had a complete list of all the MH's that needed checking and said it was going to take him till August to get all his customers in so it would be better if I went to my supplier.
Both Marquis and this supplier knew about the problem before I did as Marquis wrote to me before Elddis did and this supplier had complete list.
Neither supplier has said it must be done immediately as it is a potentially dangerous problem so I do not think there is a need to be apprehensive.
Elddis have recalled the MH for a check, that surely means they are aware of a potential issue, if it was a dangerous issue they would point it out and tell you not you use it otherwise they are wide open to being sued.

mollydog

Free Member
Sep 11, 2010
Blackwood, South Wales
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Since 2006
Elddis recall

Yes James,
Had my recall letter about a week ago and now awaiting my local dealers response. Will post again when I know more.
Chas

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
well after doing a little research about this, it appears that the wrong grade of plastic was used in part of the affected steps which causes them to crack and collapse under load. so it is potentially dangerous.

reading on other forums, some have been replaced already, but inferior products fitted as a substitute. I recommend anyone with an affected step, gets hold of and uses a portable set of caravan steps at least until the electric step is replaced

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
Just picked up my letter today, came while we were away and had to go and sign for it as its registered post. This made me worry that it might be a serious problem? Will be in touch with the dealers, my van is due to go back for damp repairs in any case, reading of 40% at the rear in a one year old van, (autoquest 180) so not too happy about that either.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Just picked up my letter today, came while we were away and had to go and sign for it as its registered post. This made me worry that it might be a serious problem? Will be in touch with the dealers, my van is due to go back for damp repairs in any case, reading of 40% at the rear in a one year old van, (autoquest 180) so not too happy about that either.

No letter for me yet re my 2011 Autoquest 140, but still awaiting dampness ( readings of 40 + in several areas ) problem to be addressed, after all this time, the " customer care dept " is useless, after two dealers who had agreed to carry out the repairs needed had gone into adminisratation, the latest being Overland Caravans of Larbert, I am now back to square one, having to start all over again with protracted dialogue with Elldis ( in other words back on the roundabout ! ) ::Doh::Doh::cry::cry:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
got my letter, the step was squeaking but got corrected at the first hab check, will get it done at the next.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Do you have a cycle rack on the back of yours?

We had an Autoquest 180 from new and never had any problems with dampness or anything else. We traded ours in last summer, at two and a half years old, but we were advised not to fit a cycle rack on the back because the shell of these are quite flimsy and could cause damp problems of not fitted correctly.
But 40% dampness is horrendous......hope you get it all sorted.

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back