Elddis Autoquest (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
On a big downer today, we purchased a new Elddis Autoquest 175 , saw it at the Scottish Motorhome show in February, it was advertised as coming with a free alarm and a tracker.
Collected it from the dealer last week and all was well until I asked for the install certificate for the alarm and the tracker !
They did not have it, would I go to the auto electricians en route home to collect it, no problem says I, off we went to the Auto electricians who once there were very helpful, Elddis supplied the alarm so the owner called them, spoke to a Mr S Keane who was asked about the Install certificate so they could sign it off, sorry say Mr Keane can't do that as it is not a Cat 1 alarm !!
The auto electrician ( with 35 years experience) said that cannot be true, what good is it fitting an alarm that is no good, a cat 1 is the requirement by our insurers !!
Mr Keane confirmed that this was the case, however he would send me a copy of the operating instructions via email (none were in the box the alarm came in).
I contacted the manufactures direct number here in the UK and their technical depart would look into it for me, below is their reply,(From Autowatch Uk alarm manufacturer)

Hello Mr MC*******

I have contacted the Factory and asked the question who they manufacture the 446 CAN for
They told me that it is branded and sold in Australia only and not sold in the UK. This unit is
not thatcham approved here. Our unit which is identical is 695 RLC and is Thatcham
approved.
Sorry, I can not put any more light on it.

Regards
Terry
Autowatch UK

As you can see it is not even meant for this country !!
I have approached my local Auto electricians who have advised me that to fit a Cat 1 alarm to our motorhome they would have to remove all old the first one !!
Their estimate to remove and replace is ÂŁ550.

I have emailed Elddis twice now and had no reply, so I have now instructed our solicitor to start legal proceeding to have this amount paid to us.
As it stands now I have had to contact me insures to advise them that the alarm fitted is not a Cat 1 so until the motorhome has one fitted it is not insured for theft !

Luckily I have been with then for many years so they have given me 28 days to replace it or I will have to pay a substantial amount for no alarm.
So to anyone who has purchased an Elddis motorhome this year (maybe last year too) please check with your insures that you are covered.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
What a bummer of an introduction to what otherwise would be your pride and joy. I wish you luck in getting your grief resolved. So disappointing and it seems to be so endemic in our particular area of interest.

I have spent hours and considerable money doing modifications/fixes on what are fundamental faults on my van. She wasn't new when I got her and the ladies who were the first owners were I think unaware of her flaws. They did not do much with her ! Foreign vans are every bit as bad by what I have read. :(

However I now feel that my "Jessie" is a little nearer like she ought to have been in the first place and as I have done the alterations myself gives me confidence/reassurance. (y)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi th,
Hope all gets sorted for you, it seems every new motorhome has something wrong from reading these forums.
I don't quite understand your statement that your MH is not covered for theft, as our new MH is covered for theft and we do not have a cat 1 alarm, just the engine immobiliser, or perhaps they will not cover it with the reduced rate that you would receive with having the alarm?
Enjoy your new purchase.
Etap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have an elddis 400 it has no alarm. I have today got my renewal from camptons . it is ÂŁ196.50p. that is fully comp. with legal expenses. and that is with no alarm.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi I don't know if Tjay is willing to name the dealer as we are just about to order an Elddis Autoquest 195 with alarm and tracker. You might wish to pm me if you don't want to reveal it on the forum

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't understand why the OP thinks the dealer (or Elddis) is at fault. Unless the offer was for a free Cat 1 alarm & tracker then he has what was offered - a free alarm & tracker. Unless I'm missing something?

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
In fairness to the OP I also called Elddis prior to our planned purchase. They initially informed it was a Cat 1 alarm but could not inform me or were unwilling to inform me about the manufacturer.
Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most insurers do not require an alarm if the value of the van is under 40 or 50k so for now could be easier to change insurers.
If the contract you signed said an alarm would be included but did not state Cat1 they have for filled their part of the deal and you can't have a claim against them, also your contract is with the dealer and if they are at fault it is up to the dealer to sort it.
Autowatch are a South African company and they make very good alarms I have one one my current van and had one on my last van.

I suggest you talk to an Autowatch agent they may be able to just change the main unit to comply and that way there would be very little labour involved.

OP
OP
tjay
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
The deal was/is made by Elddis Motorhomes not the dealer therefore the problem lies with them !!
The dealer only farmed out the work to approved Thatcham Auto Electricians who fitted the alarm and tracker supplied by Elddis !!
It was only when I asked further that the auto electricians (after call to Elddis) who was told it was not an Approved alarm !!
Then of further checking up online and contact the UK manufacturer that it is not even approved for use in this country !! It was/is made for the Ausrialian market only. !
The only conclusion is that Elddis has purchased a job lot of extra alarms/tracker, advertised that they would fit them free and hope that no one would notice that the are foreign crap !!!
I have purchase several motorhomes over the years from the supplying dealer who has no hand in the sad story and they like me are horrified that they have been selling the motorhomes at various shows and never new any of the facts re the alarm !!!
They like me are working to get this resolved with Elddis Motorhome Ltd who to date have not responded to any of my questions

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Under the sale of goods at, it is the company that invoiced you and you paid that your contract is with. If the invoice came from Eldiss and you paid them it is up to them to sort it. If it is the dealer who invoiced you and you paid them your contract is with the dealer and it is up to them to sort it. The dealer will have a similar contract with Eldiss.
Assuming you brought from the dealer, In law Eldiss have no responsibly to you only to the dealer, and you can only peruse the the dealer to forefill the contract.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back