Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just bought our first motorhome. Dec 2010
Recently bought a Bessacarr e460 but due to weather have not been able to use it yet. I have left it hooked up with the ehu and a small electric heater on just to keep the chill off. Will this damage the battery. Is it ok to leave ehu on all the time during the cold spell?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I leave mine hooked up all the time,, once the battery`s are charged, It is like an ordinary charger and slows the input charge down to next to nothing.

The best and safest heater`s are the small "Delongi" oil filled type. :thumb:

I am usually wrong,,, so expect some one else will contradict what I have said. :winky:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rickyd

rickyd

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just bought our first motorhome. Dec 2010
Thanks. I am also using a small oil heater. My main conern was whether it was ok leaving it hooked up all the time, but seeing as you do it all the time with i am asuming no adverse effects, then I will carry onduring the cold weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have done the same for years and have not had any problems.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I did the same last year when it was rather cold.. plugged it in to the mains with the adapter and had a small halogen heater on inside just to keep off the chill and dropped all the water fresh and waste out of it...Well we were selling it and i didn't want any probs with it

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
must get some new glasses I thought this would be about Rod Hull:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I leave mine hooked up all the time,, once the battery`s are charged, It is like an ordinary charger and slows the input charge down to next to nothing.

The best and safest heater`s are the small "Delongi" oil filled type. :thumb:

I am usually wrong,,, so expect some one else will contradict what I have said. :winky:::bigsmile:

Just to be awkward - why an oil filled heater?

I use a simple convection panel heater, these are lighter than an oil filled heater and respond much more quickly.

Mine has a solid element (like an immersion heater) so is also very robust.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I use a convector heater as well, just plugged it in after a trip away. A tip is to change the charge over to the chassis battery for 24 hrs once a week, that way she will always start when you turn the key.

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A tip is to change the charge over to the chassis battery for 24 hrs once a week, that way she will always start when you turn the key.

Rgds
Bill

Or get a battery master fitted,that way both batteries will always be charged:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Or just connect the two, for the same result but a lot less money!

However, if you are off EHU for a while, you WILL run down your Engine battery unless you run your engine for a while every day:Eeek:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just to be awkward - why an oil filled heater?

I use a simple convection panel heater, these are lighter than an oil filled heater and respond much more quickly.

Mine has a solid element (like an immersion heater) so is also very robust.

convectors need to be on constantly whereas an oil filled rad will hold heat a lot longer when the thermostat kicks in and turns it off.

cheap and cheerful oil rads should be stood on a tin dinner tray incase of leaks....bugger getting hot oil out of a carpet !!!

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
On a slight detour but I've left mine plugged in for the past month with an old oil filled rad on a minimum setting but I've noticed it doesn't get hot at the top as if it needs bleeding like a wet system in the house.

I've never bothered turning the stat up to see if it makes a difference but I wonder if the the clue is in the "old" ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back