EHU to home/garage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camel, Feb 7, 2012.

1. camel

camel Funster

Hi, Is it ok to connect our motorhome to a socket in the garage to keep the batteries topped up - can it be left for days at a time or should it be disconnected after so long?

Also, could I leave the heating on, on a low setting on the thermostat, to reduce the chance of freezing pipes or would it be better with a small oil filled radiator or similar? Thanks, Paul

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Hi Camel, yes you can leave it plugged in for as long as you like without issue..
    A small oil filled radiator is a good safe option too

3. Phill D

Phill D

i agree with Jaws as i do it all the time. have stopped using the small oil filled rad since a recent post where one caught fire!

4. wasp

wasp Funster

Hi Camel I leave mine on hook up permanently and leave the van heater on I am not a lover of oil filled radiators I leave the stat set for 15/20 degrees that keeps it nicely aired and doesnt freeze up:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Oohhh No nice that.. I have been looking hard at the things recently too.. In the safety manuals that get passed around they are always top of the list.. Just goes to show !

Mind you, there is the other side of the coin..

Lord knows how many million oil filled rads are out there and it is def not that common for them to catch fire.. So far just your one Phil ( and how unlucky can you get !! )
    And you can bet there are a lot more fires caused by fan heaters or those ruddy halogen light things..

Oh, just a thought but a couple of those nice little green house electric tube heaters might be handy.. Low wattage and you could put one each end of the van

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

15/20 degrees!!!!:Eeek:

Let us know who your leccy supplier is so we can afford to leave it that high too!!!!!:Laughing:

We have ours set at about 10 degrees, just enough to keep any fabrics from feeling cold.:thumb:

We have our charger on to provide a maintenance charge to the batteries too.

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Agree with the above but depending on your setup, the domestic batteries will be ok but the starting battery may not be maintained if there is no link.
    We use an oil filled rad , all cupboards open and one vent slightly open. All cosy and dry .

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

On our Autoquest (before I fitted a Battery Master) I used to keep the starter battery topped up when I had the van on EHU by using a Tronic T4X charger plugged into one of the van 240 sockets.