EHU polarity

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sinbad1, Mar 17, 2009.

1. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Was thinking of buying one of < these >;but having read several posts regarding the safety of these inline units and looking at the cross over switch, to me looks a bit flimsy. I have changed my mind and gone for the cheaper option of connecting up a male and female where + and - are reversed.

Had a few old connecters lying about so thought i'd make up a compact unit the bit between the male ond female is b&q 50mm pipe fits like a glove.(glued with pipe cement)

View attachment 2282

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Wow!!!! someone with a little gumption.:Wink:

one of the best diy jobs i'v seen for a long time.

i have the same type lead i made but never thought of the tube idea. :thumb:

3. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Thanks John don't suppose i'll use it here ( you never know?) did think of adding a red neon on the tube ;but have a red indicater on my PSU unit.

4. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

Yes, that's really neat and using the 50mm pipe makes it both safe and compact, I must start making notes on things like this since I expect to be a regular EU / UK traveler.

5. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

The tube idea could only be used with a in-line connector lying on the ground or on some other type of support. I do not like the idea of leaving unprotected cable connectors lying on the ground.

It could not be directly plugged into a socket due to the large forces exerted by the long stiff unit.

I use two blue connector (one male and one female) connected by a short length of cable. This can be plugged into the MH and the normal EHU daisy chained on the end. This still leaves the connector out in the open and thus accessible by other campers and the weather but it is off the ground.

6. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Not sure what large forces your talking about, fits fine no problem directly into the supply source, It would be pointless to use it as an inline connecter may as well have made up a crossover patch lead, the idea was to eliminate that, for me it works fine the whole unit weighs less than the male female with crossover cable, and less chance of water ingress.

Personally i prefere a long stiff unit, rather than a limp one:Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

The "forces" I was referring to is that of leverage (not really a force but a turning moment). A plug that sticks a relatively long way out of a socket will produce a large leverage or "moment" at the socket whereas a "limp" cable type will not. The force will be a downwards force but there will be little or no moment.

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You are quite right, IMHO, I nearly posted the same message. Sick it in the MH and you's knock it off in 10 mins, stick it in the pedestal and the first person who trips over the cable wrecks the pedestal connector and try explaining that in a foreign language.

Mine is a pair of connectors and a short wire, can be used at either end.

9. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Most supplies are either downward facing or at 45 degrees , so the moments of the limp and stiff will be somewhat negligable

As previously said the mass of my unit is less than the limp method so if you put this into your equation then i don't really think there would be a great deal of difference.

I would agree that any unatural forces to the fixed plug would result in an increased leverage ;but think this is unlikely.

Unless you leave a site whithout unplugging:Eeek:

Regards

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Mine is even simpler.. I don't use any .. :Wink:

but let's not get into that again.. each to their own and it's not worth another ten pages on Jim's server :Doh:

Sorry Sinbad1., it's a neat job but can't see any great benefit .. if it works why fix it ?

11. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Not really a fix Jim, needed to make up a crossover cable so designed a simple more compact unit.:BigGrin:

No i won't ask the question:Wink:

12. scotjimland

fair enuff :Laughing:

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

They said the same about the Inclinometer, and Olley summed it up in one:thumb:
    These folkes have no Panash no Va Va voom:Doh:
    Left to these we would still be living in caves:Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. scotjimland

Geo ... The Gadget Man :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

[​IMG]

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1:You've got me bang to rights Jim:Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. hilldweller

It's people like you that US money. The government spends millions on adverts for responsible coupling just because people like you could not care less and die in your thousands.

Couple Responsibly, always take precautions.

17. scotjimland

Just getting a coupling is an achievement in itself .. why make an easy job hard :Doh::Laughing:

18. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

I agree, there's allways going to be the odd cave dweller:BigGrin: I welcome any constructive criticism, for me it a safe and compact unit does what i want and takes up less space than two connecters.

Now complete

View attachment 2291

Regards

PM me if you need instructions

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  19. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Nearly saw that a coupla weeks ago. It's only when the driver saw me looking at his hook-up lead that he rememberd, went :Blush: and thanked me most profusely - well we've all done things like that, haven't we? (I remember coming off ramps with my Fiamma still wound out:Doh::Doh:). Could have done a bit of damage to his MH, to say nothing of the power tower.

John

20. hilldweller

Well spun Sir.

Now re-take that picture with a plug in the end of the cross-over and see how it looks :)

OK, I admit it looks top quality and it's not *that* long.