EHU leads.. a dangerous habit folk have (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I see this more and more and just about all over the world :Sad:

People leaving their EHU cable coiled up..

I suspect folk simply do not believe how dangerous this is until they actually experience it for them selves. Nor realise how easily a coiled cable can catch fire ( even my own wife did not believe me until her extension lead not only melted but caught fire and caused damage to the flooring in the porch )

If you are just drawing an amp or so chances are ll will be well.. but especially at this time of year when many of us are using fan heaters and the like, drawing much more can be absolutely lethal

And for goodness sake do not thing for one minute an EHU will trip out before it gets dangerous..
By the time that lets go it is already FAR too late

A 2kW fan heater draws about 8 amps.. and believe me, that is MORE than enough to have a fire under your van as well as the one you have inside

I do appreciate it is a royal pain to unwind a long lead sometimes, but it is more of a pain filling out all those insurance claim papers after you have set fire to either your own van or someone elses !! ( and you could always do as I do and carry a long AND a short lead )

Of course there is also the point that an EHU lead is not cheap, and leaving it coiled ( so heated up a LOT ) will dramatically reduce its expected life span

I am sure ther will be lots of people sitting there saying stuff like 'never had a problem.. load of bosh' but please please believe me.. it is NOT a load of bosh, but one of the more dangerous aspects of motorhoming that few people seem to be willing to accept !

Took this picture last weekend

Sunday morning the damned thing was steaming !!!

Attachments

• line1.jpg
    line1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 238
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Can you move over so I can join you on that soap box?:soaobox:

This does drive me mad too, and even more worriing when it's the van next door:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Come on guys somebody must be able to get a pic of one with melted snow in this weather :thumb:I await the first picture :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You are quite right, But
You can lead a horse to water
But you cant make it unwind its cable:RollEyes:
Something like that anyhoo:RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I always fully unwind my cable when I am 25m from the EHU.:Smile:

when I am 10m from it, I leave 15 on the coil, never noticed it getting so warm as to be dangerous and I do check. In France, its nothing to see a 50m coil wound out to only 2m though I appreciate its rare to have more than 6amps out there.

I will have be more careful in future:Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
pass a current through a cooiled cable and it be comes an inductor, in short a wire wound heating element so be warned.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Theres a camp site that we stay on a couple of times a year, its near Coventry. Upon arrival you get a sheet of paper which tells you what each electrical appliance draws from the ehu.

In very bold print it says that anybody found with a coiled up ehu cable will be removed from the site immediatley. I actually have this info sheet pinned up in the kitchen area of the mh.

You so right, you see people coiling cable so that everything looks neat and tidy, its got to be that they just dont know.

Jim
:Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Theres a camp site that we stay on a couple of times a year, its near Coventry. Upon arrival you get a sheet of paper which tells you what each electrical appliance draws from the ehu.

In very bold print it says that anybody found with a coiled up ehu cable will be removed from the site immediatley. I actually have this info sheet pinned up in the kitchen area of the mh.

You so right, you see people coiling cable so that everything looks neat and tidy, its got to be that they just dont know.

Jim

I agree it's a shame more sites don't have such a rule and enforce it, Club sites should be among the first to apply this rule with their health & saftey rules.

Dave.:thumb::thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
A photo of my lead and caravan was posted on a caravan forum 7 years ago by someone saying they had spotted this and how dangerous it was.

Put out a bit as didn't say a word to me on the rally, just posted it:Eeek:

Good advice though:thumb:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
mines a right pain in the a**e, its really thick and heavy and as soon as you let go of it you get an instant tangled up mess:cry: i hate that wire:roflmto:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
A photo of my lead and caravan was posted on a caravan forum 7 years ago by someone saying they had spotted this and how dangerous it was.

Put out a bit as didn't say a word to me on the rally, just posted it:Eeek:

Good advice though:thumb:

they possibly thought they might get a right mouthfull - just like i got onetime when i said that really you need to unwind your cable to someone, and bill thinks im possitively mad when i walk the cable out although i have 4 of varying lengths but it depends on how close the ehu is.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
they possibly thought they might get a right mouthfull - just like i got onetime when i said that really you need to unwind your cable to someone,

From Moi?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We were on a CC Site recently up near Durham and saw two leads still coiled up on the reel thingy, both had a load of kids bikes outside and it was cold- it don't bear thinking what could have happened if they had gone up!
Cheers, Dave:Doh:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Slightly off topic

Can you move over so I can join you on that soap box?:soaobox:

This does drive me mad too, and even more worriing when it's the van next door:Eeek:

I agree with you all about the coils. On a slightly differrent tact the previous owner to my Bungalow ran a 2.5m Spur from the Consumer Unit to the new Conservatory where he ran a ring to 3 double sockets. During the last cold spell, had my 3 kw Halogen Heater on for about an hour in the Conservatory when there was a small bang from the Consumer Unit, Trip had blown. Up into the loft and following the cable run found a COIL half way through the loft of about 8 tight turns which had a small box balanced on it ( cable was hiding under the loft insulation), All the cable insulation had melted and shorted out.

So its not just out in the fields you should be worried about, make sure you didn't have an idiot wire up your house.

Brian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a coiled cable, ie...on a drum or tightly wound etc, is dangerous but a loosely coiled cable should be ok.

make each loop around 1 mtr and spread loosely on the ground ...still quite tidy and out of the way.

tightly coiled inner loops on a drum get no cooling air and will overheat.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
mines a right pain in the a**e, its really thick and heavy and as soon as you let go of it you get an instant tangled up mess:cry: i hate that wire:roflmto:

Actually, that is WAY better than having it in a small coil !

And of course, yes, PJ is dead right when he says a big, loosely coiled up lead is fine.. :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i always run mine up and down the length of the van a couple of times then push it underneath in like a long orange snake that way if i forget to unplug it (which i haven't yet tho i have seen a few do) i get a short distance to remember before it rips the hookup post out of the ground.:Doh:

andy:thumb:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
And there was me envying all these foreign vans over here in Europe that have theirs on little reels all neat and tightly wound! I hang the excess of mine loosely off the bike rack

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And there was me envying all these foreign vans over here in Europe that have theirs on little reels all neat and tightly wound! I hang the excess of mine loosely off the bike rack

I think they tend to get away with it purely because the average continental user knows a lot of places have quite low capabilities ( as in supply ) and are no where near so addicted to the mains as we seem to be...

But yes, without doubt they are far worse for this than we are

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Jim

Jim,
A copy of this sheet may prove useful.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I think they tend to get away with it purely because the average continental user knows a lot of places have quite low capabilities ( as in supply ) and are no where near so addicted to the mains as we seem to be...

But yes, without doubt they are far worse for this than we are

I won't moan the next time I have to try and gather up my stiff, snow covered cable then :thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

Yes our Frankia has the lead on a coil in the locker but I pull it all off and put it under the van before I connect to the EHU.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We deliberately dont keep our EHU leads on a reel

Well pointed out Jaws - it is SO DANGEROUS.

Remember folks

It only takes one to catch light and the wind blow in the "wrong direction" for thousands and thousands of pounds of damage to be caused

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
You can experience this at home.....

If you have a 'vacuum' cleaner with a self-retracting lead, leave most of it in the cleaner. When you've finished your 'hoovering', pull the lead out fully and feel for yourself how warm it is.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
a coiled cable, ie...on a drum or tightly wound etc, is dangerous but a loosely coiled cable should be ok.

make each loop around 1 mtr and spread loosely on the ground ...still quite tidy and out of the way.

tightly coiled inner loops on a drum get no cooling air and will overheat.

That's how we do it; it is by far the best way of incorporating tidiness and safety - no induction coil, everything open, each loop in contact with the cool ground under the van, all nicely tucked away were you won't trip over it. :thumb:
Highly recommended. ::bigsmile:

John

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I was helping to run a course at a local school we had hired a few years ago, walked past the classroom being used for refreshments and smelt something hot (burning).
On looking into it found the Urn plugged into an extension cable which had not been fully unwound. :Doh:
The cable was too hot to touch.:Eeek:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The trouble is... most people that have decided it is fine to do something one way, will think they are right. MOST others who never thought about how they are doing something are going to say the same thing..... 'Well I have never had a problem'.
Whether you are talking about coiled up EHU leads, dodgy gas refilling adapters, A frames or the way to strap a car on a trailer.... they do not want to know.
I can be the same, backless shoes whilst driving? What the hell is wrong with that? I have been in a plane where the pilot and co pilot both had bare feet (thinking about it we did land in the sea) ::bigsmile: Jane :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back