EHU leads.. a dangerous habit folk have

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I see this more and more and just about all over the world :Sad:

People leaving their EHU cable coiled up..

I suspect folk simply do not believe how dangerous this is until they actually experience it for them selves. Nor realise how easily a coiled cable can catch fire ( even my own wife did not believe me until her extension lead not only melted but caught fire and caused damage to the flooring in the porch )

If you are just drawing an amp or so chances are ll will be well.. but especially at this time of year when many of us are using fan heaters and the like, drawing much more can be absolutely lethal

And for goodness sake do not thing for one minute an EHU will trip out before it gets dangerous..
    By the time that lets go it is already FAR too late

A 2kW fan heater draws about 8 amps.. and believe me, that is MORE than enough to have a fire under your van as well as the one you have inside

I do appreciate it is a royal pain to unwind a long lead sometimes, but it is more of a pain filling out all those insurance claim papers after you have set fire to either your own van or someone elses !! ( and you could always do as I do and carry a long AND a short lead )

Of course there is also the point that an EHU lead is not cheap, and leaving it coiled ( so heated up a LOT ) will dramatically reduce its expected life span

I am sure ther will be lots of people sitting there saying stuff like 'never had a problem.. load of bosh' but please please believe me.. it is NOT a load of bosh, but one of the more dangerous aspects of motorhoming that few people seem to be willing to accept !

Took this picture last weekend

Sunday morning the damned thing was steaming !!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Can you move over so I can join you on that soap box?:soaobox:

This does drive me mad too, and even more worriing when it's the van next door:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Come on guys somebody must be able to get a pic of one with melted snow in this weather :thumb:I await the first picture :Rofl1:
    terry

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You are quite right, But
    You can lead a horse to water
    But you cant make it unwind its cable:RollEyes:
    Something like that anyhoo:RollEyes:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I always fully unwind my cable when I am 25m from the EHU.:Smile:

when I am 10m from it, I leave 15 on the coil, never noticed it getting so warm as to be dangerous and I do check. In France, its nothing to see a 50m coil wound out to only 2m though I appreciate its rare to have more than 6amps out there.

I will have be more careful in future:Blush:

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

pass a current through a cooiled cable and it be comes an inductor, in short a wire wound heating element so be warned.

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

Theres a camp site that we stay on a couple of times a year, its near Coventry. Upon arrival you get a sheet of paper which tells you what each electrical appliance draws from the ehu.

In very bold print it says that anybody found with a coiled up ehu cable will be removed from the site immediatley. I actually have this info sheet pinned up in the kitchen area of the mh.

You so right, you see people coiling cable so that everything looks neat and tidy, its got to be that they just dont know.

Jim
    :Smile:

8. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I agree it's a shame more sites don't have such a rule and enforce it, Club sites should be among the first to apply this rule with their health & saftey rules.

Dave.:thumb::thumb:

9. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

A photo of my lead and caravan was posted on a caravan forum 7 years ago by someone saying they had spotted this and how dangerous it was.

Put out a bit as didn't say a word to me on the rally, just posted it:Eeek:

Good advice though:thumb:

10. tommytli

tommytli Funster

mines a right pain in the a**e, its really thick and heavy and as soon as you let go of it you get an instant tangled up mess:cry: i hate that wire:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  11. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

they possibly thought they might get a right mouthfull - just like i got onetime when i said that really you need to unwind your cable to someone, and bill thinks im possitively mad when i walk the cable out although i have 4 of varying lengths but it depends on how close the ehu is.

12. Road Runner

From Moi?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I blame Mr. Eddy Current.

14. Road Runner

Oh that's shocking:Laughing:

15. davejen

davejen Funster

We were on a CC Site recently up near Durham and saw two leads still coiled up on the reel thingy, both had a load of kids bikes outside and it was cold- it don't bear thinking what could have happened if they had gone up!
    Cheers, Dave:Doh:

16. MAUBRI

MAUBRI Funster

Slightly off topic

I agree with you all about the coils. On a slightly differrent tact the previous owner to my Bungalow ran a 2.5m Spur from the Consumer Unit to the new Conservatory where he ran a ring to 3 double sockets. During the last cold spell, had my 3 kw Halogen Heater on for about an hour in the Conservatory when there was a small bang from the Consumer Unit, Trip had blown. Up into the loft and following the cable run found a COIL half way through the loft of about 8 tight turns which had a small box balanced on it ( cable was hiding under the loft insulation), All the cable insulation had melted and shorted out.

So its not just out in the fields you should be worried about, make sure you didn't have an idiot wire up your house.

Brian

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

a coiled cable, ie...on a drum or tightly wound etc, is dangerous but a loosely coiled cable should be ok.

make each loop around 1 mtr and spread loosely on the ground ...still quite tidy and out of the way.

tightly coiled inner loops on a drum get no cooling air and will overheat.

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Actually, that is WAY better than having it in a small coil !

And of course, yes, PJ is dead right when he says a big, loosely coiled up lead is fine.. :thumb:

19. aba

aba

i always run mine up and down the length of the van a couple of times then push it underneath in like a long orange snake that way if i forget to unplug it (which i haven't yet tho i have seen a few do) i get a short distance to remember before it rips the hookup post out of the ground.:Doh:

andy:thumb:

20. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

And there was me envying all these foreign vans over here in Europe that have theirs on little reels all neat and tightly wound! I hang the excess of mine loosely off the bike rack

• Like Like x 1