EHU in France!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MHVirgins, May 26, 2012.

1. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Have just read flatpackchicken's post about using the fridge on the ferry to Santander (which we found very interesting):thumb:
    We are going to Brittany later on in the summer, but we have a question about our EHU cable.
    Would we need to get a completely new EHU cable for use on French sites, or is there a suitable adaptor that we can get to use with the one we have at the moment, in order to connect it up in France?
    Many thanks in anticipation.
    Bill & Margaret

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Adaptors in Halfords.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Plenty of adaptors available.. but I made my own many years ago when we first ventured abroad
    Went to B & Q and bought a suitable female plug end ( the same as the standard one that is on your EHU cable... The end that it the same way round as the one you normally plug in to the van ) and connected a short bit of 3 core wire to it.. When we got to France bought a standard French plug and wired that on tother end of my short bit.. Job done

• Like Like x 1
  4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

John Cross Motorhomes sell them

JCM sells the little pig tails which goes from the blue connector to the French two pin type. Some sites still use that sort (in fact the one we are going to on the 5th June still do) ... a lot of sites have the 3 pin normal blue type.

We have an automatic reverse polarity unit fitted that sorts out any iffy EHU trees.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  5. brynric

brynric Funster

Years ago we bought 2 short adapters, then I changed the wiring in one to cope with reverse polarity, and then marked which one was normal and which one reversed. I'm not sure now if I remember which was which, it's a while since I've used them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

that is one way of doing it

That is one way of doing it.. But I know Vanbitz does a couple of units... one you switch according to the light colour shown and the other does it automatically ... we had our automatic unit fitted by them.. does what it says on the tin.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

Hi Bob, presumably these units are on-board and fitted in-line to the mains trip box.

8. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

We have these for the continental post/trees and another British connector pigtail with reversed connections. Several of the sites we have visited have 'our' sockets on posts but wired incorrectly. You can't even rely on them being the same on one post!! :Doh:
    Continental electricians don't understand our hang-up over polarity.

Brian

9. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

thats because we still insist on single pole switching... Europeans use double pole switching.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

You should already have the blue 16 amp European plug and socket on your cable, which is widely used in France Spain,Portugal,Germany......so all you need is this connection to fit any other type used in France the normal 2 pin plug

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-M...ccessories&hash=item439b5d8f88#ht_2345wt_1062

and buy one of these to check polarity
    http://www.towsure.com/product/Mains_Polarity_Tester_Plug

to plug into one of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue16amp...nerators_ET&hash=item337444388b#ht_1312wt_838

If you look on Ebay you will most likely find them cheaper, these links are just as a example
    Mel

• Like Like x 1
  12. malheg

malheg Funster

EHU France (Europe)

All the caravan accessory shops sell the 2pin Euro to 3pin UK adaptor which you may need for around a fiver.
    Also for the same cost you can purchase a reverse polarity adaptor.
    Although some people do not bother.
    A simple plugin adaptor to check for correct polarity and earth is arounf £10

Regards

Malc

• Like Like x 1
  13. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

A very big "thank-you" to everyone who has replied to our question. Your expert help is very much appreciated and great to know there is so much expertise on this forum:thumb:

We are now a lot wiser than we were earlier on this afternoon, many thanks to everyone again.

Bill & Margaret