Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Good morning Funsters

Parked up on a site late yesterday afternoon... and decided to hook-up.

EHU point is rated 10amp...

Switched controller over to Leccy two.. and put heater and water on (1800w I believe)..

Consequently the hookup tripped out..

Turned everything off - reset trip - put Truma heater back on at lower 800w setting - all seemed fine...

Then went out for night to watch a band... leaving heating and water on

Returned at about 11pm (slighly sloshed) so just hit the sack... can't say I noticed if it was cold in van ... but wasn't expecting it be partic toasty on low leccy setting in this weather...

Anyway, Got up this morn to a freezing Moho.. and no EHU.. it had tripped at some point tween going out and waking - I'd payed no attention when I returned last night so may been off then!..

This morn I set panel back to gas and put heating/water on - and reset trip to charge batteries...

I am yet to investigate why it hapened.. I know a failed Truma heating element can cause this.... I'm still running on gas as i type this...

However, I was wandering if there is some form of AUDIBLE alarm setup available for this scenario - like when the fridge bleeps if door is not fully closed..

If i'd been awake i'd have noticed fridge switching to gas (if nothing else) ... but when snoozing; need an alarm of some sort..

Edit: just checked EHU and it's only 6amp :(
John T

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Good morning Funsters

Parked up on a site late yesterday afternoon... and decided to hook-up.

EHU point is rated 10amp...

Switched controller over to Leccy two.. and put heater and water on (1800w I believe)..

Consequently the hookup tripped out..

Turned everything off - reset trip - put Truma heater back on at lower 800w setting - all seemed fine...

Then went out for night to watch a band... leaving heating and water on

Returned at about 11pm (slighly sloshed) so just hit the sack... can't say I noticed if it was cold in van ... but wasn't expecting it be partic toasty on low leccy setting in this weather...

Anyway, Got up this morn to a freezing Moho.. and no EHU.. it had tripped at some point tween going out and waking - I'd payed no attention when I returned last night so may been off then!..

This morn I set panel back to gas and put heating/water on - and reset trip to charge batteries...

I am yet to investigate why it hapened.. I know a failed Truma heating element can cause this.... I'm still running on gas as i type this...

However, I was wandering if there is some form of AUDIBLE alarm setup available for this scenario - like when the fridge bleeps if door is not fully closed..

If i'd been awake i'd have noticed fridge switching to gas (if nothing else) ... but when snoozing; need an alarm of some sort..

John T
Wouldn't the alarm volume need to increase depending on how many sherberts you've consumed?

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Wouldn't the alarm volume need to increase depending on how many sherberts you've consumed?

Perhaps!!.. :) but i'm sure I'd hear it when bladder wakes me in night - and that hasn't failed YET ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry to hear you have a cold start to the new year.

But should it not run ok on a six amp supply?

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Ask Eddie at van bits if a strikeback/growler could be utilised to waken you gently from your slumbers. You wouldn't forget to check a second time!:)

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

Not too sure until I do some calcs...
but I make 230v * 6A a max of 1380Watts...

So the fridge/freezer is rated 190W on EHU.. approx 1.3A

The charger is ? ( not been on EHU since 28th) ... so assumming some heavy charging going on...

Truma Heater is either 1800w or 900W
But can peak to 7.8A or 3.9A for short periods
Then the heater fan...

So I think it peaked and tripped... perhaps ;)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's

I'm not an expert @MikeD but bby my reckoning 1800w/240=7.5amps? plus vans electronics plus heater fan your maybe using around 8amps plus?

oops, @Fletton got there first:xThumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not too sure until I do some calcs...
but I make 230v * 6A a max of 1380Watts...

So the fridge/freezer is rated 190W on EHU.. approx 1.3A

The charger is ? ( not been on EHU since 28th) ... so assumming some heavy charging going on...

Truma Heater is either 1800w or 900W
But can peak to 7.8A or 3.9A for short periods
Then the heater fan...

So I think it peaked and tripped... perhaps ;)

I'm not an expert @MikeD but bby my reckoning 1800w/240=7.5amps? plus vans electronics plus heater fan your maybe using around 8amps plus?

The op did state the hook up is 10 amps.

Try a different hook up socket.
The first one May be weak/faulty and trip at less than 10a.

OOPS ! Just read Flettons edit.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My conclusion.....

It appears that 6A rated EHU @ £4 per night is pretty shite value!... for cold UK winter nights....

That's £28 p/w... and I can run full gas heating etc for just over £12 p/w on LPG ... with a few journys ( to shops ) + honda 10i for topping up batteries... cos my solar is naff this time o' year - as expected ;)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
It appears that 6A rated EHU @ £4 per night is pretty shite value!... for cold UK winter nights....

Thing is though there will be some people who will fully use that 6amp continuously for the 24 hour period (portable fan heaters come to mind) in which case the cost to the campsite for that electric is likely to be around £4.

I guess it all depends on how much you are paying for the site if the electric is extra. If it's only £10 then £14 all in isn't bad. If however it's nearer £20 to £30, then yes I agree with you, it's not good value. But everyones idea of 'value' is different and I'll openly admit to being careful with my money (ok, I'm tight:xwink:).

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

I was thinking more about how he left the heating before the OP went out :D

"Turned everything off - reset trip - put Truma heater back on at lower 800w setting - all seemed fine..."

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I was thinking more about how he left the heating before the OP went out :D

"Turned everything off - reset trip - put Truma heater back on at lower 800w setting - all seemed fine..."
But add in the fridge on electric, 190w + the OP stated heavy charging going on as not been on EHU for a while . So a 6 amp supply would have only 1,5A left for the charger. It was tripping due to overload.

It would divide by 220V . Eu standards to harmonise are now 220V
+10% / -6%.

Add in his fridge & heavy charging = overload even on a 10A supply.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Thing is though there will be some people who will fully use that 6amp continuously for the 24 hour period (portable fan heaters come to mind) in which case the cost to the campsite for that electric is likely to be around £4.

I guess it all depends on how much you are paying for the site if the electric is extra. If it's only £10 then £14 all in isn't bad. If however it's nearer £20 to £30, then yes I agree with you, it's not good value. But everyones idea of 'value' is different and I'll openly admit to being careful with my money (ok, I'm tight:xwink:).

Whilst I agree the "overall" costs - on average could be circa £4 per unit on site.... 6 amps is not good value for me if all I can do is charge batteries and run fridge... usually arriving at dusk and away again early morning...

Whilst parked on Sis's drive a few weeks back. I was curious how much leccy the Moho used on EHU...
I purchased a meter to monitor usage..

The reason for this was twofold...

A: I could pay a fair contribution to Sis

B: Better guestimate for sites that have a meter that you feed pound coins into or prepay cards etc.... the one time I did this - I left the site with loads of leccy remaining on the meter... because I'd arrived late and didn't know how much to feed it .. to stay on overnight...

So whilst at sis's I put everything on full power.... watched tele... left more lights on than normal etc... to give me a better Idea of max consumption....

Overall I was only using just over £3 per 24hr period @ 13.55p per KWh

Now.. that said... I could work with 10amps and not moan at £4 a pop: if on a site for circa 12hrs :)

And... Low wattage portable fan heaters wouldn't heat tween floors or prevent my dump valve tripping.. or heating my water for that matter .. :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back