EHU Charges

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by robnchris, Oct 8, 2015.

1. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Just wondered if anyone knew how much a site can charge for electric hook up.

We`ve seen charges from £2 per night up to £6 per night, surely they can`t sell it for more than they pay for it.

2. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

I think most sites need to recoup the cost of the infrastructure as well as the leccy itself. I'm sure that some take a bitty mick though - makes me LOVE having a solar panel! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's right. Basically they can charge what they like as they are charging for provision of a service. It is illegal to charge more for the actual power than a specified amount (not sure exactly) but they roll it up with other items.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Camp sites dont just sell you electric, they charge you for using their equipment....cabling, hookup post, distribution board etc.

They CANNOT charge more than they pay for the actual electric.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

correct

nor should they list it as a separate charge on the pitch price ... though some do ..

if shown separately it must be metered and the cost per unit must not be more than the site owner pays..
    if you are on metered, bear in mind sites are paying commercial rates.. which is considerably more than domestic..

6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Don't you mean less ? I'm sure Grommets post the other day showed commercial rates lower than domestic . ( But far higher than other countries )

7. scotjimland

a lot has changed since I left the industry in 2006 ..
    there is no easy answer, so many variables.. big companies can get better deals than small ones.. so a CL owner or farmer may pay more than a big holiday company like Center Parcs who can negotiate lower prices..

I found this expiation .. https://www.ukpower.co.uk/business_energy/business_or_domestic

8. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Interesting information Jim, we have just stayed on a site overlooking St Ives and the payment breakdown listed everything, pitch per person, dog charge and electric.
    The electric worked out at £5-50p per night and was straight off a EHU post no meter involved.

9. scotjimland

The rules are set by Ofgem .. you can read them on the Ofgem site you need to download the pdf.. the rules for reselling electricity are quite complex..

As I understand it, a site that shows a separate charge for electricity is leaving themselves open to challenge by the consumer (you) and they would have to show to Ofgem that the charge was fair and equitable..

The Caravan club advise CL owners to have an all inclusive price to avoid this happening..

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Certainly open to challenge but the site would no doubt argue that it is charging for providing a service not just the electricity used. That would include installation and maintenance of the EHU network.