Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
as I spend quite a bit of time on the continent I am looking at purchasing a cable similar to those used by Dutch and Germans i.e. a thinner and lighter cable as the amperage here on most site is no more than 10 amps.
I will also carry a 10metre UK rated cable just in case I find one at 16 amps.
Advice from any electrical experts pse

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I can't see any point in messing about with lesser cables as there wont be much difference in weight. We carry 1 or 2 normal 20m cables plus a 10m for if we are really close to the post or to extend if we are too far away.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you want a 'dedicated' lead, simply buy that countries plug and fit to a normal 16amp lead in place of the blue euro plug.

but dont forget......many euro campsites now use the same blue plug as we do regardless of amperage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
as I spend quite a bit of time on the continent I am looking at purchasing a cable similar to those used by Dutch and Germans i.e. a thinner and lighter cable as the amperage here on most site is no more than 10 amps.
I will also carry a 10metre UK rated cable just in case I find one at 16 amps.
Advice from any electrical experts pse

We too are wanting to do exactly as you are suggesting so will be interested in the responses you get which specifically answer your question! :RollEyes:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If you go to any country where they have proper power stations IE coal they will not be scrimping on power like the stupid Germans. So you can only be 10 metres from the EHU which may be near the toilet block ?

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
No real reason to do this as far as can think, if you were asking the question the other way round then there would be reason to advise.

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks

Thanks John Cross will bin that idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We use a 13 amp (with 4 sockets) extension lead (coloured Yellow so you can see it) & put a normal Blue plug on the end, then you have more 13 amp socket outlets. The reel fits into a plastic box to keep the rain out and a lead to the van socket from one of the reel sockets.

Been using this system for years without problems as we don't ever use more then 13 amps. A reversible connector between the van and reel is also useful if you are in a reverse polarity situation also stored in the box.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
and you can guarantee that you wont overload a 10amp lead? you need to use a uv and temperature stable flex whatever you do, not just a lead from B&Q etc. ordinary leads crack over time and may not be noticed. add in damp grass and its potentially deadly.

then you have the variation where some sites may be 6 or 8amps, but others are rated at 16amps. running electric heating and you dont have enough capacity in the wire to switch anything else on

the standard orange cable in the uk is tried and tested and really the safest to use. carrying another just doubles up and takes more weight off your payload

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
The yellow sheathed cable is, usually, designated building site power cable, which is only suitable for 110V supplies. If you buy yellow cable make sure it's for 300/500V use.

Similarly, don't assume cable with an orange sheath will cope with 16A. Orange has been used by Black & Decker and other tool manufacturers for many years but it is not capable of carrying 16A.

Buy a purpose made EHU lead for safety's sake.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back