EHU cable

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gunner29, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

as I spend quite a bit of time on the continent I am looking at purchasing a cable similar to those used by Dutch and Germans i.e. a thinner and lighter cable as the amperage here on most site is no more than 10 amps.
    I will also carry a 10metre UK rated cable just in case I find one at 16 amps.
    Advice from any electrical experts pse

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I can't see any point in messing about with lesser cables as there wont be much difference in weight. We carry 1 or 2 normal 20m cables plus a 10m for if we are really close to the post or to extend if we are too far away.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you want a 'dedicated' lead, simply buy that countries plug and fit to a normal 16amp lead in place of the blue euro plug.

but dont forget......many euro campsites now use the same blue plug as we do regardless of amperage.

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We too are wanting to do exactly as you are suggesting so will be interested in the responses you get which specifically answer your question! :RollEyes:

5. Gunner29

me too

6. campa cola

campa cola Funster

If you go to any country where they have proper power stations IE coal they will not be scrimping on power like the stupid Germans. So you can only be 10 metres from the EHU which may be near the toilet block ?

7. keithcdb

keithcdb Read Only Funster

No real reason to do this as far as can think, if you were asking the question the other way round then there would be reason to advise.

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

With power supply cables never scrimp on quality or rating, electricity KILLS and a low rating cable is more likely to go faulty.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gunner29

Thanks

Thanks John Cross will bin that idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. keith

keith Funster

We use a 13 amp (with 4 sockets) extension lead (coloured Yellow so you can see it) & put a normal Blue plug on the end, then you have more 13 amp socket outlets. The reel fits into a plastic box to keep the rain out and a lead to the van socket from one of the reel sockets.

Been using this system for years without problems as we don't ever use more then 13 amps. A reversible connector between the van and reel is also useful if you are in a reverse polarity situation also stored in the box.

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

and you can guarantee that you wont overload a 10amp lead? you need to use a uv and temperature stable flex whatever you do, not just a lead from B&Q etc. ordinary leads crack over time and may not be noticed. add in damp grass and its potentially deadly.

then you have the variation where some sites may be 6 or 8amps, but others are rated at 16amps. running electric heating and you dont have enough capacity in the wire to switch anything else on

the standard orange cable in the uk is tried and tested and really the safest to use. carrying another just doubles up and takes more weight off your payload

12. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

The yellow sheathed cable is, usually, designated building site power cable, which is only suitable for 110V supplies. If you buy yellow cable make sure it's for 300/500V use.

Similarly, don't assume cable with an orange sheath will cope with 16A. Orange has been used by Black & Decker and other tool manufacturers for many years but it is not capable of carrying 16A.

Buy a purpose made EHU lead for safety's sake.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013