Ehic or travel insurance in Europe (1 Viewer)

Do you use the EHIC card or buy travel insurance when touring Europe

• EHIC card

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • Travel insurance

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Both and have had to use both.
Travel insurance is not expensive and cheap when something goes wrong.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
EHIC and EHIC Plus for us too ... just wish we could get the dogs put on it as 'kids' as they're usually the ones that cost! :(

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Used to have both, but last quote I had after adding extra bits going wrong the price had rocketed. Two I had used before refused. So now stick to UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
EHIC Plus is just like any other travel insurance, nothing to do with the European EHIC.

Ian

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
EHIC Plus is just like any other travel insurance, nothing to do with the European EHIC.

Ian

It is certainly a form of travel insurance but it is designed to pick up where EHIC stops, e.g. if you need to be flown back to the UK by Air Ambulance. It means that you are not paying for expensive cover that most people who suffer a medical trauma rarely if ever use.

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
I didn't know there was an EHIC PLUS ! 'Thought reference here meant EHIC plus additional travel insurance. Having just checked the web site it seems I could have saved £30 off our joint £145 annual premium I have only just paid!!

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
I've been looking at reviews on EHIP Plus - good & bad !! Only provides cover in State hospitals and just extends the basic EHIC Card. doesn't cover extra's like cancelation charges as with other travel policies and there have been disputes over non disclosed pre existing conditions whilst exorbitant costs when conditions disclosed. Think I'll stick to the policy I have!!

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
You have it in a nut shell. It does what you say. Invariably insurance companies will penalise anyone who fails to disclose pre-existing conditions. Of course what most people forget is that in an emergency you are normally treated at a state hospital as very very few have trauma facilities.

Deleted User
As far as I can see EHIC Plus is just another private insurance company attempting to piggyback on the EHIC name, they have no connection to the Dept of Health.

Maximum cover seems to be 60 days which is of no use to us so I have not delved into the T & C's but if the price is right they do seem to cover a gap in the market.

I have had ADAC plus membership for 8 years so I have some form of travel insurance included but I am aware that this cover is different for non German residents but would take too much effort to ascertain the exact details.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just had a quote for the wife from Staysure, 9 days cover in France with high blood and cholesterol medication £23. EHIC Plus £26 before you do the medical bit, I didn't bother to go any further.

Ian

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Spent a week in Portimao public hospital Feb 2015, dreadfully ill, I had blood tests, scan x rays etc. Was on a drip to rehydrate me. Excellent care. I can't praise them enough just showed my EHIC and passport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back