Ehic or travel insurance in Europe (1 Viewer)

Do you use the EHIC card or buy travel insurance when touring Europe

• EHIC card

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • Travel insurance

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Mums wondering whether to take out travel insurance to tour Europe or just go with EHIC card. What do you do?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well I voted EHIC but it is a risk we are prepared to take. Medical treatment in Europe is fine but if she needs to be repatriated then she will need DEEP pockets. An air ambulance flight will cost between £6000 and £10000 :eek::eek:

And before anyone says just jump on a plane/boat/train etc............ they will NOT take people with critical conditions or (in the case of airlines) maybe even just a broken leg or similar.

Just sayin.........

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Both. We bank with lloyds so we get free travel insurance and we have Ehic too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use the ehic . but make sure everyone in the group knows only use state ambulances ,and only get taken to a state hospital.
you will have to pay some minor charges . prescriptions etc .
but if you dont need anything at all you have saved .
have travelled loads in my life . used french spanish and moroccan hospitals . the moroccan was cheapest . you payed for bandages x rays but the doctor was free . nothing to do with ehic card its free .
france and spain just prescriptions . and dentist work.
but bstate only . all must know and only use state . not private .
if you die get burnt in what ever country you die in . ashes can be chucked anywhere .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I take out insurance because of health issues and the risk that I may need to be repatriated. It's never happened but there is always a risk.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but why would you need to be repatriated . they fix people in just about every country in the world .
i have health problems . lost a lung in the army . have cancer but cant see the need to repatriate . you live you die . even when i went deeper into africa my kids knew my wife and i might not come back. we did . asia /india . we came back. might not one day . they can fly out and pick up the ashes . put them with my parents . if they want .

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi Sandra, make sure mum gets both, You, who cares!:eek::giggle::p
Only joking.:giggle: Just in after dinner party at sis in laws!
Sorry.:cry:

Never even asked us if we wanted to stay for brekkie. Bad show or what!(n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
in over 30 years of travelling abroad, including threes years full time with the kids, have never bought private medical insurance, only ever taken the EHIC card.. and have used it several times.. both in France and Spain.. no problems.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
No option for both! EHIC and travel insurance which comes free from the bank when travelling in Europe,had to top it up when we went to N Z

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
For peace of mind Sandra I would have both, especially if the premium isn't ridiculous. Chockswahay is right about repatriation by airlines, once tried to arrange a flight home from France when a friend had an epileptic attack for the first time and was quite unwell, - no chance

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Have both Mrs gasman needed an ambulance in France once, I had to pay in cash. A s she was taken to A&E I was taken to the cash machine. We had to pay 20% of the hospital bill as well. Not a private hospital, state hospitals charge as well. Because we had insurance we got it all back

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Both for me... The EHIC is free and if your able to go to a public hospital then great, get sorted that way..
I have seen and met quiet a few people who have had silly accidents and got sorted via travel insurance. If prices where horrendous or no cover given then I would consider going with just EHIC.
Ref re-patriaction, I am with the "leave me there" group. They can burn me just the same in any other country...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As people have said you should get the EHIC card anyway. It's free and it allows you access to the public healthcare system whichever EU country you are in. Whether you takeout additional health/travel insurance is up to you.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Be wary of people who say repatriation is not an issue.......... I was an air ambulance pilot for many years and I can assure you that repatriation is very expensive and a real need if a medical issue occurs that can not be dealt with locally within a reasonable time period. I have brought people back to the UK who had been receiving state care until the state said 'no more'.

It does happen......

Deleted User
A lot depends on personal circumstances, as we don't have a home to be repatriated to and the EHIC covers our needs in Europe we have no need of private medical insurance which would be difficult to obtain and costly for long term travel.

If I die when out of the UK then I don't think that I will be too concerned what happens to my remains..............except for the burning boat Viking passage to Valhallah of course:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Why repatriated? Well if I was ill when abroad it would be a long term fix and I would not be ill enough to stay in hospital but also not be fit to travel under my own steam or on public transport. Also my family would be very worried. I'd be better off at home where I have a support network who could do shopping etc. Also all the "not very well" aids such as shower stool, hoist, wheelchair etc are at home and not the sort of thing you take with you "just in case". My travel insurance covers UK as well as overseas :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why repatriated? Well if I was ill when abroad it would be a long term fix and I would not be ill enough to stay in hospital but also not be fit to travel under my own steam or on public transport. Also my family would be very worried. I'd be better off at home where I have a support network who could do shopping etc. Also all the "not very well" aids such as shower stool, hoist, wheelchair etc are at home and not the sort of thing you take with you "just in case". My travel insurance covers UK as well as overseas :)
If you suffered a serious injury would you rather be stuck in a foreign hospital for months, or be flown back to the UK where your friends and family could visit ?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ya know, I've often thought that I should buy my own aeroplane and offer air ambulance flights........ they make a fortune!!! :eek::whistle:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wot! as well as a pilot? ..... Awesome :D:D
Looks like it may chafe round the edges
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!