Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
has anybody had to rely on their EHIC for healthcare treatment in france recently ? if so was it readily accepted and did you have to pay for anything ? my understanding is that if you do incur any costs, then a good percentage, if not all can be claimed back when you get home. has any funsters actually had to do this and did it work !! cheers garry

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hello Gary - MrsShiftzz here
Yes, I have. I had to visit a doctor (very nice young lady - excellent english) who prescribed medication and referred me to the local hospital for an x-ray and tests
The appointment was, I think, €23 and the medication €40-ish both of which had to be paid at the time. Both the doctor and the chemist are aware of the system and give you a receipt on a brown form (sorry, I can't look up the name of the form because I'm not at home) which you use to reclaim the money when you get home by telephoning the number on the back of the card (DWP Newcastle)
At the A&E Dept of the hospital, I was booked in and the details from the EHIC card together with my address were logged on to their system - my understanding is that because it was considered to be an emergency it was not chargeable, although the hospital did write to me at a later date asking for a copy of my passport which I did not have with me at the time
I can only say that I found the service from the doctor, the hospital and the DWP to be excellent and (with a little help from my friends) very easy to use
I hope this answers your question :thumb:
K

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
thanks for that reply mrs shiftzz its good to know that the system actually works in REALITY , at least as far as france is concerned anyway ! regards garry

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
has anybody had to rely on their EHIC for healthcare treatment in france recently ? if so was it readily accepted and did you have to pay for anything ? my understanding is that if you do incur any costs, then a good percentage, if not all can be claimed back when you get home. has any funsters actually had to do this and did it work !! cheers garry
fine, BUT do the NHS charge the French, Spainish, Germans etc, etc in the same situation..I don't think so! wasn't there a recent news item that European countries were not paying the reciprocal health charges billed to them by the NHS for services rendered:Angry:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Recently got whizzed off by French ambulance to A&E! They asked about payment and I gave them my EHIC. they asked for my passport for ID, which I didn't have on me. They were able to accept my driving license and there was a small charge (€19) which I was more than happy to pay. They said I could claim it from insurance co. but I was happy just to stand the cost and yes, couldn't fault the treatment.:thumb:

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We went to Limoges in June and while we there we had to take my Daughter to A+E because she banged her head on a low beam in a a gite we were staying in.
She had a thorough examination, 2 X-rays and left with a spongy collar on
We just filled in the consent form and left. They didn't ask to see any ID or cash.
Last week we had the bill, €109, contacted Eurotunnel insurance and they will sort if out
The only problems we had was that no one in the Hospital spoke English and I couldn't remember medical terms from school! I just banged my head with the palm of my hand and said Gite. :Doh:
Aah, was the reply, they understood. It's must happen a lot!
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back