EGR Valve

Discussion in 'Mercedes' started by Sue&tonyking, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Sue&tonyking

Sue&tonyking Read Only Funster

does the Hymer Starline 640 2.7 5 pot lump 1999 vintage have an ECR valve? Toby Trux

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Dont think it will have at that age.

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I not not think it will have an EGR valve. 1999 is the production changeover year between Phase I and Phase II Sprinters. Are you certain it has a 2.7 litre engine? The predecessor used in Phase I Sprinters before 2000 model year was the OM602 2.9 litre 5-cylinder TD engine with 122 bhp output. This will certainly not have an EGR. Phase II Sprinters (from model year 2000-2005) had the OM612 CDI 2.7 litre engine. This too is a 5-cylinder turbocharged unit with power output of 156 bhp. If it has this engine, it is unlikely to have an EGR as they were not fitted to Sprinters in Europe, but were fitted to the same power plant in cars and in USA Sprinters.

n.b. Phase I and II above both refer to the first generation Sprinter made between 1995 and 2005. The current Sprinter body style is the second generation made from 2006 until the present day.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  4. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I didn't think that the 2.7 engine was on the go in 1999 but not too certain. A lot of earlier vehicles did have EGRs fitted. I had a very early (pre production) Discovery 300 TDI 1994 & it was fitted with an EGR setup.

5. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

TBH, no I am not sure that it has a 2.7 lump; the (trusted and reliable) salesman says 2.8 andJeanLuc says 2.9....... Anyone know for sure? Toby Trux

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

As it's a Star-line, it definitely does not have a 2.8 litre engine. The two Mercedes engines fitted (depending on age) are as I outlined above. If it's an older OM602 it is most likely a 2.9, but some were 2.5. If it is built on one of the first Phase II chassis, the engine will be OM612 which is 2.7 litres. I have ignored the 4-cylinder engines with lower power output since you have stated that it has 5 cylinders.
    2.8 litres was the standard JTD engine in Fiat-based motorhomes of the same vintage - it is not a Mercedes size.
    If it is any comfort, the OM602 2.9 litre lump is regarded as one of Mercedes' finest, most reliable units although it is less powerful than the later OM612.

7. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

Ta for that, JeanLuc, I am only assuming the fifth cylinder as a couple of replies on here have said so. I believe you are correct, 2.7 5 pot, sounds like a turbo too. Surely not a 4pot lump? 122 bhp is little enough..... Toby Trux

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Look under the bonnet and count the air intake pipes along the top right hand side of the engine - there will be five, obviously, if it's a 5-cylinder lump. This is what an OM612 looks like from the right hand side (front to the left). If the engine in the Hymer you are looking at does not have the black plastic top cover over the camshaft with the letters 'CDI' and the 'Star' embossed in it, then it is an earlier engine - presumably the OM602.

[​IMG]

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

also dont forget a motorhome registered in 1999 would be built on a chassis and engine built by merc (or fiat etc) a year earlier or more normally. they dont get their plate and start ageing till they are sold and registered to the first owner. with that logic, I would expect it to have the older engine variant

10. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

Thanks JeanLuc, BigBoy et al. I believe it is a 2.9 5 pot and will confirm when we take delivery on Thurs next; it sounds like my kind of engine !!!! I will let you know as soon as!!!! Keep on truckin', Toby Trux

11. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

JeanLuc, Ambulance Kid, Big One et al, it transpires that the lump is, as suspected, the respected 2.9 5 pot and thus pre cdi; Result !!!!!! I presume therefore that this means no ECU ?!!!? Toby.

12. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

2000+ miles down the captain's log and mpg is 26ish, but will do better; Ican live with that !! Have been to N Yorks and Norfolk as well as several trips to the Midlands. Italy in April - bring it on !!!!!! Keep on truckin', Toby.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Both the Mercedes 5 pot lumps were quite frugal & I don't think the 2.9 had an ECU. I've driven many miles using both the 2.9 & the 2.7 & couldn't fault them, even with the harsh use that ambulances suffer they shone through.

14. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

Thanks for that, AK. Keep on truckin', Toby.