Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
looks like it. ive mailed them and asked.. thanks(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
So did you buy another plate elsewhere?
Yes I bought my new plate and one for the Fiesta from Ebay seller calls himself BERTYE1958. It fitted straight in and there is no discernible changes to any driveability. We will fit the Fiesta later on. You must however get the right blank for your own engine, mine is the same as the Jaguar diesel with the 2.4 engine.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I have 3 more drives before having a custom exhaust fitted. This should be enough to become accustomed to it before the change.

How is it going? Any noticeable difference in power / economy etc? If not,was it worth the effort & why?

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It drives as wonderful as ever but without further fear of "check engine".
I am sure the mpg will be improved but as the current tank of fuel was partially used on tick over for more than an hour I cannot evidence this yet.
Yes for £55 it is money well spent, I pay nowt for labour ;)
Also the learning and aquired knowledge along the way of ones own vehicle is of great value and saves even more time and money come the next job

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
OK, be interested to know, if possible, before the new exhaust.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Next trip is clumber park CC. I will top up before travelling.
The best I have ever seen on the dash is 29.3 in mid summer, if I get close to that in February I'll know it is going the right way.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am going to Birmingham show next week so I will get an idea how the Ford goes with it fitted, I will pay particular( particulate???) attention to the visible exhaust , on the move.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the ebay seller has confirmed no "Cheat kit"! available for 2.3 multi jet :(

will have a think what next steps are. if its as simple as blanking the EGR and nowt else i might give it a shout

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Anyone know if it's worth doing on a 2013 2.2 Peugeot engine (Ford).

John.
Probably not as the actual sensors have become quite a bit more sensitive than the earlier ones and there is more chance of tripping the engine warning light. The blanking plate would need a hole in it to restrict the flow but not stop it altogether, there is a balance sensor that will sense the blockage. With the new Euro 6 models it will almost impossible to fool it and the system will trip.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am going to Birmingham show next week so I will get an idea how the Ford goes with it fitted, I will pay particular( particulate???) attention to the visible exhaust , on the move.

I have been to Birmingham with the van and went for a trip around as well ,
HOWEVER the fuel consumption has gone up going from 28 to 24mpg this may be the blocked off valve or a result of the remap done at Lincoln, It does go well though and I still try and keep at 90kph still. I was hoping that it would go down and maybe get 30mpg but I will do some more runs before I decide to remove the blocker or the remap. Valve first as that cost £8.00.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mightily pleased!
Reset trip computer before driving to Clumber Park CC
In the two years of driving this van I have NEVER seen more than 29.7 (maybe 29.3) on the clock and that in HOT weather.
Very cold and slight headwind but witnessed 31.9 at peak! arrived with 29.3. This time of year usually gets 27 at best indicated. So without doing a brim to brim test yet I have deduced there is a significant improvement.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not have a trip computor in mine so I have to depend on fill to cutoff reset the trip and repeat at every fillup. I will monitor mine consumption but I think the remap is the culprit. obviously if there is a more perky engine then there will be more fuel going in.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I've been following this thread with a lot of interest. Well done Andy, an excellent informative piece.

I have a 2011 Ducato with the 3 L engine.

When I first got the van it ran fine but was a bit prone to hunting on tick over, particularly when the air conditioning was running. The van did have 120,000 miles on the clock and I was aware that the EGR is prone to causing this effect. On advice from a friend I started using BP posh diesel and after a couple of tankful's the problem went away.

Currently everything is working fine with one small exception: after an extended period on cruise control on the motorway, if you cancel the cruise control the engine will tick over quite fast until you blip the throttle a few times.

It would appear to me that the EGR is now working okay but I am guessing that the throttle valve may be a bit sticky. Would I be correct to say that the throttle valve is relatively easy to remove and clean? How long did it take you to remove and refit the throttle valve Andy?

My thoughts are to remove and clean the throttle valve and then fit the EGR cheating unit, but just blank the vacuum hose to the EGR. It appears to me that it is a bit of Mare trying to fit the blanking plate under the EGR, is this correct? How long do you reckon it takes to remove the EGR in order to gain access to where the blanking plate is fitted?

If the advice is to make sure I fit the blanking plate then I'll do it, but I am a lazy git and if I can get away without it I'd quite like to.:)

Thanks again Andy,

Cheers,

David.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Nothing is overly time consuming. How long it takes depends on how long it takes you to figure out how to remove stuff for access. Realistically anything that stands in the way of your tools has to be removed.
There's plenty of pictures in the thread that will indicate the level of disassembly. I cannot advise you on the blanking plate that is your choice David.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks Andy,
I'll have a look again now I know what everything looks like. I suspect everything gets much easier once the front bodywork is removed.

Cheers
David.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I took the throttle valve off without removing the slam panel and it's just not worth the struggle.
Access to my EGR is different to yours being LHD but the main issue is the crap allen socket screws used and if you read through I had to re drill and tap one

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Yes I took the throttle valve off without removing the slam panel and it's just not worth the struggle.
Access to my EGR is different to yours being LHD but the main issue is the crap allen socket screws used and if you read through I had to re drill and tap one
It was the Allen key redrilling and tapping that made me wonder whether to bother with the blanking plate. I'll have a good look at mine when I can find my mirror on a stick and maybe start applying WD40 or equivalent for a couple of weeks before I start.:)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
It was the Allen key redrilling and tapping that made me wonder whether to bother with the blanking plate. I'll have a good look at mine when I can find my mirror on a stick and maybe start applying WD40 or equivalent for a couple of weeks before I start.:)

Diesel oil is a good penetrating oil.

John.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Any form of oil is a waste of time if the 6mm hex socket is corroded it will just round out like mine did.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Diesel oil is a good penetrating oil.

John.
Thanks for that John, I have used diesel before but I would hesitate to use it on an exhaust system. Diesel has a high flashpoint and low self ignition temperature so can ignite on the exhaust before it has had a chance to evaporate. Small chance I agree, but any excuse from an insurance Co.:)

Proper release oils should evaporate before they ignite and are only a fire risk if there is a spark while they evaporate.

Cheers

David

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Right, I've been thinking about this today and I have a plan.

I shall remove the slam panel and remove and clean out the throttle valve.

With the EGR I will remove it to gain access to the two 6 mm Allen bolts and try to remove them. If they come out, great, I'll fit the blanking plate and refit the EGR as is. If the bolts don't want to come out I will clean and service the EGR so that I can confirm that it is closing properly and then refit it, without the blanking plate, but knowing that the EGR is shut. Without the vacuum hose attached the EGR should now remain closed forever.

Cheers,

David.

Deleted User
Andy did you need to drain the coolant system to remover the EGR valve?

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp