Eggs (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have our very first chickens at the moment. 15 weeks old. Its been fun watching them develop. Got them at 7 days old. Can't wait to have some eggs.
Prepare yourself for a bit of a wait
Anywhere between 16 and about 28 weeks depending on the breed
Have you a plan for dealing with the hens when they have finished laying ?
We found ours stopped laying at about 2 years - but will live for maybe 6 years
It can be a real problem if your chicken coop is full of hens who have stopped laying and you don't have room to replace them

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
Ours are Warrens, and should start around 20-24 weeks.
Have you a plan for dealing with the hens when they have finished laying ?
Roasted, curried, bbq'd ... lots of 'plans', but whether we'll be able to carry any of them out is another story. One of them is quite affectionate and dashes over for cuddles whenever I go into the garden. Its quite a good survival tactic!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ours are Warrens, and should start around 20-24 weeks.

Roasted, curried, bbq'd ... lots of 'plans', but whether we'll be able to carry any of them out is another story. One of them is quite affectionate and dashes over for cuddles whenever I go into the garden. Its quite a good survival tactic!
The first time was the most difficult, but having done a bit of research online and on youtube I was quite comfortable that I was treating the birds humanely, so much so that we decided to raise birds specifically for meat, rather than simply disposing of hens who had stopped laying. Our dog eats raw chicken as part of her diet, as well as a raw egg in the morning, so the ex layers made a valuable contribution, not only whilst they were laying, but also as meat afterwards. No waste, no food miles - a great all round solution.
Best of luck with your new flock - and enjoy the taste of 'proper' eggs!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back